User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

installed Powered 50a Cord Reel.

Finished putting in a powered Shoreline Reel today. It fit very nicely in the space under the bottom shelf in the pantry.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7491.jpg 
Views:	787 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	12847Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7505.jpg 
Views:	713 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	12848Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7508.jpg 
Views:	676 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	12849

kalakamods
    Last edited by traveldawg; 11-23-2022 at 10:16 AM.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done! I was wondering why GD wasted all that space in the 310GK pantry.
    2018 Solitude 310GK
    2017 RAM 3500 Crew Cab, Short Box, 4x4, SRW, Cummins 6.7
    https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Oth...dStatesMap.gif

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice work, looks factory-installed!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkoval View Post
    Nice work, looks factory-installed!
    Thanks. The DW said the same thing. (After she got the courage to take a look at thing after I took a multi-tool to the side.).
    Larry KE4DMG

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    Finished putting in a powered Shoreline Reel today. It fit very nicely in the space under the bottom shelf in the pantry.

Can you provide a list of parts/ equipment you used to complete this modification and a rough time to complete? Thank you.
    2018 Ford F 450 Platinum- White gold exterior Marsala interior w/ Reese 26.5K hitch
    2018 Solitude 310GK-R with dual pane windows, slide-out awning toppers, and heat pump options.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram&Lab2 View Post
    Can you provide a list of parts/ equipment you used to complete this modification and a rough time to complete? Thank you.
    Ram&Lab2, here is some info...

The power cord reel was a shoreline RH54331RMK 50 amp Motorized Power Cord Reel. I got it here. But check around, you may find a better price as these things vary.

The door is a Valterra A10-2151BKVP Black Large Square Cable Hatch. I got it at Amazon... Valter Hatch Cover

I wired it into a transfer switch. But you and just use a junction box and connect it to the cord at the back of the existing receptacle on the side the rig. Just be sure to use the right size connectors/lugs/crimp on connectors, whatever.

On the inside of the cut out around the hatch opening I used some rounded aluminum molding from Lowes. This is it. I put the rounded side on the inside edge so as not to scrape the power cord when it goes in and out.

Those are the parts. I don't recall exactly how long it took. A buddy and I did it in a few hours (more than 2 and less than 4?).

A few hints....
    > I installed the reel in the space below the lower panty shelf.
    > I remember I had to remove that shelf and maybe the one above it too as well as some skirting that hid a heater vent hose. Get the front panel of that bottom shelf out of the way too.
    > You can unsure the existing power cord receptacle and then unscrew the power leads from inside that receptacle (that's where you connect the power cord leads too. Like I said, I went to a transfer switch so maybe that added some time. You can put a nice 4" junction box in the space where the reel goes and it may be quicker.
    > From the inside "probe" the wall where the hatch will go for any wooden backing inside the wall (by probing I mean take a very small drill bit and drill into the veneer to see if is backed with a any wood blocking or if it just styrofoam. On my unit there was wooden blocking; presumably what the installation person was suppose to drill through to mount the receptacle - he missed it by a few inches.
    > Once I had the outline for the hatch on the inside wall figured out I used a multitool to just out the veneer to be sure there was just wood blocking and no aluminum stud. Once I was sure punching through to the outside fiberglass wall was possible without hitting any studs/wires/etc. I used the multitool to make the hole for the hatch.

That's about it. It wasn't hard. A lot of time was taken insuring we weren't going to hit an aluminum stud and investigating that wood blocking the GD tech totally missed when he drilled the hole for the round receptacle.

If you want, PM me and I'll send you my phone number.
    Last edited by traveldawg; 05-16-2022 at 04:48 PM.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post

Excellent, very nicely done!! Kudos!

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Sir!
    2018 Ford F 450 Platinum- White gold exterior Marsala interior w/ Reese 26.5K hitch
    2018 Solitude 310GK-R with dual pane windows, slide-out awning toppers, and heat pump options.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about this as a poor man's option?
    Could you not just remove the cable plug fitting from the outer wall and replace it with a round cable port cover. Then if you connected up your cable to the plug, inside the compartment under the pantry you could then just feed your power cord into the opening and let it coil up inside the compartment. You should be able to reach through from the outside to pull the cable back out. Not as slick as a powered cord reel, but it would still use the space under the pantry to store the power cord and get it out of the basement storage area.
    Tom and Jan
    Surrey BC Canada
    2017 Solitude 310GK, new to us Nov. 2020
    2021 F350

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you'll find that is harder than you think pushing a lot of cable into that opening; especially if it is cold. Maybe a 30 amp cord, but not sure about a 50 amp.

I think the cord that comes with the reel I put in is a bit more flexible than the original cord that comes with the RV. Still, I'm not sure I'd try to stuff it into that space. Kind of like pushing a rope uphill.
    Larry KE4DMG

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast