User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

150 Series pin box information

For those of you taking delivery of a 150 Series 5th wheel. Make sure your dealer has the appropriate wedge in stock for your hitch. Not all hitches are compatible with the stock wedge that comes with the Turning Point. For example you will need a Curt part #16992 or a Reese part #RP31016 wedge for a Curt A16 hitch.

Bob
    2023 Reflection 150 Series 260RD
    2022 Ford F350 SRW CC 4X4 Lariat 6.7 camper package, B&W Companion RVK3300

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Curt A-16 Wedge for Curt A-16 Hitch

Hey Guys/Gals,

Let me get our opinion on this. I went in today to schedule my pickup of my new 295RL 150 Series 5th Wheel. I had the Curt A-16 hitch installed in my truck so I ordered the Curt A-16 wedge (#31016). I informed the Service Manager that I had purchased the Curt wedge to be installed at pickup and I was informed that if I put in the Curt wedge I could not bring it back for service because their equipment would not be able to move the RV with the "non-generic" wedge. Have you ever heard of that. He said I needed to bring it by at least a day before pickup since it is an hour job to put it on? And how is he putting it on without the truck/hitch there to align it properly?

I tried to set the appointment in a few days and he said just drop by and pick it up since all I had to do was back up and hook it up. But the pin comes locked in the stationary position and he would need to move the two forward bolts to the rear position to "unlock" the 90 degree turn pin. And this dealer sells these 150 Series units all day!! I'm going back in in a few days but before I do I'd like some experts out there to comment so I know what I'm talking about before I go in there and ask for a general manager.

These people already cost me $100 for a slider hitch that they told me would be mandatory for pulling this with my 2500 Chev. 6.5 bed. I ordered a slider then discovered that I really didn't need that with a 90 degree turn pin so I cancelled the order and went with the Curt A-16 non slide. But since I had placed the order I got hit with a $100 restocking fee.

I am just a bit fed up with this dealer at the moment.

Thanks for letting me vent.
    Gary and Kelly Slone
    Louisville, Kentucky
    18 Chev. 2500 Gas 6.0
    2020 295RL Reflection, Curt A16 Hitch

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds like you don’t have the most accommodating dealer to say the least. It takes about 10 to 15 minutes to unlock the pin box and install the wedge. Mine is in the locked position but I’ve had to remove the wedge and locking bolts to move a trailer for a friend then reinstall. Any dealer selling 150 series units should have no issue.
    It shouldn’t be a problem to do it for service or at time of delivery.
    Last edited by grampscamper; 07-06-2020 at 12:39 PM.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just be sure when you pick it up the pin is not locked and wedge is in place. This happened to someone in the past with major damage.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good advice, unlock wedge in, lock wedge out

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A little more thought on this. My dealer has a little tug (fork lift) that they mounted a simple fifth wheel plate to to move trailers in and out of the service bay. It also has a standard ball on it for the TT. I have seen similar fork lifts at a lot of dealers. For it to work the pin needs to be locked so it wont swivel. They told me that if I ever bring my trailer in (if I am using the rotation option) to please let them know so they could lock it. He then indicated he would help reinstall the wedge when I came to pick it up as it needs to be set properly set or the hitch. I don't use the pivot option currently so it is not an issue for me.

What I would suggest is before you take it in to remove the wedge and lock it and keep the wedge so it does not sprout legs and walk off or get broken in the fork lift hitch. That way you can put it back or have the dealer do it when you pick it up.

Just my 02
    Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, newbie here. What is the deal with this pin box? Why is it so different from any other style?
    Is there a good reference to learn about it? We are considering a 150 series and currently have a slider in the bed...
    Thanks in advance.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://youtu.be/gFwsW9E7QwE

The pin box will rotate. Moves the pivot point back so you don’t need a slider hitch. You can lock it out so it can be used like a regular pin box or unlock it, install a wedge and have it swivel at the rear. It moves the pivot point back 22”.
    Last edited by grampscamper; 07-07-2020 at 01:46 PM.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that video and this thread just talked me into keeping my slider...which I've never had to use with my shortbed, lol
    Last edited by Grandesigner; 07-07-2020 at 02:16 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    grampscamper which way to you use your hitch

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast