User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Full-timing and package delivery, e.g., Amazon

Reading here, we've learned a lot about full-timing, which we hope to be doing in just a few months. We've also read that seemingly everyone uses Amazon a lot, as we do now. One thing I haven't seen discussed is how one deals with Amazon deliveries when you're on the road full time, potentially moving frequently. Regular paper mail can go through a mail service, but that doesn't seem appropriate for packages.

Do you just wait until you're going to be somewhere for (significantly?) longer than normal delivery time and send it C/O the campground?

We hope to spend most of the winter in the BLM LTVAs; any recommendations for how to deal with package deliveries there? I wouldn't think that the LTVA hosts could accept packages, but I may be wrong about that. Amazon can't ship to PO boxes. Can they ship to USPS General Delivery?

Thanks for any wisdom,
    -Al
    Al and Kathe
    House: Bass Harbor, Maine
    Home: Wherever we're parked
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Highlighted states are those we have camped in for at least one night in our Solitude.
    2018 Solitude 310GK 110463 (Rhett) / 2018 F350 CC DRW 4x4 Lariat (Scarlett)
    Follow us: http://lobstersontheloose.com

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I know near the Quartzsite LTVA, there is a business you can have stuff shipped to. I think Colan (carnolddsm) has used them.

Jim

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I have frequently had Amazon deliver packages while we're on the road. Sometimes we use a friend or family member who we may be near or we have packages delivered to campgrounds where we are OR are going to be. Last year we were in Indiana and I ordered a new toilet and had it delivered to the CG we were headed to in Cleveland. I called the CG and let them know and they signed for it. We've done this many, many times without issue. We even had a new satellite receiver delivered at the fairgrounds last year when we were at the rally.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    I know near the Quartzsite LTVA, there is a business you can have stuff shipped to. I think Colan (carnolddsm) has used them.

Jim

Since we weren’t in a RV park we used Ironwood Outpost in Quartzsite. Ironwood Outpost is a personal mailbox provider. The next time we find ourselves in the same situation, not in an RV park I will contact the local PMB providers to see if we can ship to there location like Quartzsite.

We’ve never had an RV park say no to package delivery.

The biggest problem we’ve had are Amazon orders in areas with no home or business delivery by the post office. Amazon has no way for you to select the carrier. A package may come via the post office, FedEx, UPS. For example we stayed in Borrego Springs at a park with a street address but no post office delivery. If we ordered with the street address and Amazon used the post office we were in trouble. If we tried to use a shipping address with both the park’s PO box and street address or even the PO box with no street address Amazon’s system would reject the address saying they couldn’t ship to a P.O. Box. Best way I found to game the Amazon system was to ship to general delivery. If the item was shipped via the postal service we went to the post office to pick the package up. If the general-delivery item went via UPS or Fedex we would receive a call saying they couldn’t deliver as addressed. We would then provide a street address.
    Colan and Marilyn Arnold
    Des Moines, IA - kind of, on the road full time.
    Currently in Durango, Colorado
    Momentum 350M originally, now a 397TH

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Full-timing and package delivery, e.g., Amazon

We travel full time (4 yrs now) and use Amazon Prime quite a bit. If I'm needing something quickly, I'll often order and have it shipped to our next stop after calling to confirm their address and that they will accept it. We use Escapees mail service, and on non critical small items I'll sometimes just send it to our mailbox there and retrieve it when we get our mail every 2-3 weeks. Of course that adds to our mail charge from Escapee, but it somethings is more convenient if we're moving often.

It is important as others have noted to make sure about a parks mail service since about 50% of our orders lately come USPS. We ran into an issue a couple of years ago in NY where USPS did not deliver to the park....they held it at the local post office. Turned into a mess because it was over a holiday weekend and we almost did not get our package.

We don't typically boondock or do the BLM thing, but do stay in NP's some. When in Nat Parks we just do not worry about mail or ordering, but get items shipped to our next stop.

Good luck!
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 on what carnoldsm said about which service will be used. Sometime you can ask a question about a product ahead of time and their preferred method of shipment. It can be a hassle. And if you visit Canada your mail may be delayed in customs. We got an over night delivery 26 days after it was due. That one worried us a bit as it was vehicle registration papers, picked it up the day before we left.

Easiest is using the RV park. Most are pretty good about it. One of the things to be aware of is phrasing of the request. If you ask to have mail delivered the answer will usually be no, they don't like your junk mail any more than you do. The idea being you get your mail "forwarded" to the RV park and then they get junk mail forever. Ask if you can have a package delivered, most are ok with a one time delivery.

A note on general delivery, we have had mostly success with this, even amazon. But call the post office you plan to pick it up from ahead of time to find out the "local general delivery" process. One package got transferred back and forth between sub-station took us a couple of days to chase it down.

We have used UPS stores from time to time. They charge a fee, a few times we have been quoted outrageous fees.

It all comes down to planning and communication. Never assume it will be ok to have your package delivered some place.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My brothers place in South TX doesn't get USPS mail but he does get UPS and FedEx. When ordering on Amazon we put our name-General Delivery and his address. That way if the P.O. gets they can keep it with Gen Del on it and if UPS or FedEx gets it they use the street address. So far this has worked.

Red
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to share my experience. I bought both and everything was fine. My case had a different reason for being a pain. I was ordering everything online and gave my postal address for the delivery to the door. And after payment, I expected parcel within a week, but it did not arrive. When I contacted the technical team, it turned out my postal code was wrong. And I was always using it. So check all details carefully, postcode finder help you.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can also see if any Amazon lockers are nearby. We ask at campgrounds and so far no problems. I wish we could pick which carrier though.
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

2018 337RLS- 2nd ac, dual pane windows, table and chairs, Kodiak disc brakes 12-28-17 (Thanks Ed!)
    720w solar, 100/50 Victron scc

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Traveling back and forth across the country I would just figure out where we're going to be seven days from when I was ordering (in case they don't ship out the same day, etc.). Then I would call that RV park or campground to advise them (and always get the name of the person that you're talking to!). It seems when you ask for their name then they always follow through with making the note for the other workampers or manager.

It did seem like it was pretty normal. We spent a winter in Florida that was a large park and actually had a good size mail/pkg room I would hear one of the ladies say to another as they were sorting pkgs "check to see if they're a future check in". So I'm pretty sure it goes with the territory now days, especially for the larger parks. Large or small, I would always call ahead and always get the name of the person that you're talking with.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast