User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    If I order a Solitude 310GK and have Grand Design deliver it to Mor Ryde and have the IS installed and then delivered to me. Do you think Mor Ryde could estimate my loaded axle weights using past experience with other 310GK installs? That would be my only worry about having it done before delivery. Your thoughts please.Thanks
    What do you mean by "loaded axle weights?" Do you mean after you load your stuff in the rig? MORryde does not "estimate" anything. I can tell you that, with all of our full-timing stuff on board, we have 13,000 lbs. on the two 7,000 lbs. MORryde suspension units. If your question is something else, you'll have to call MORryde and ask them.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    What do you mean by "loaded axle weights?" Do you mean after you load your stuff in the rig? MORryde does not "estimate" anything. I can tell you that, with all of our full-timing stuff on board, we have 13,000 lbs. on the two 7,000 lbs. MORryde suspension units. If your question is something else, you'll have to call MORryde and ask them.

Rob
    Gotcha. Thanks

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    When MOR/ryde installs the independent suspension, they match the rubber "springs" to the wheel-by wheel weights of your rig. They do not go heavier. One of the main advantages of the MOR/ryde IS system is that it significantly increases the suspension travel (and adds shocks), giving the whole coach a more gentle, less bouncy ride. In our case, the OEM solid axles were 6K and MOR/ryde installed 7K units - but only because they do not have a 6K assembly. They still matched the springs to my wheel-by-wheel weights so that the system is not "over-sprung." Between the ride, the tracking and handling, and the 50% decrease in stopping distance with the hydraulic disc brakes, it's the best investment we've made on our rig. The brake upgrade would certainly be a safety plus. I see the suspension upgrade as prolonging the life of our home.
    Rob
    I'm thinking pretty seriously about getting the MOR/ryde IS system installed here in Oregon along with the disc brakes.

Our Solitude 374TH has three axles. I was wondering if the MOR/ryde IS system will help with the rear tires as I back in and torque the rubber almost off the rim.

I also was figuring that the MOR/ryde IS system would be a lot less maintenance. And no broken hangers.
    KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    I'm thinking pretty seriously about getting the MOR/ryde IS system installed here in Oregon along with the disc brakes.

Our Solitude 374TH has three axles. I was wondering if the MOR/ryde IS system will help with the rear tires as I back in and torque the rubber almost off the rim.

I also was figuring that the MOR/ryde IS system would be a lot less maintenance. And no broken hangers.
    KEN
    No hangers at all, and no maintenance except a grease gun on the pivot arm Zerks and the usual bearing service intervals. I don't know that it would help much with rear tire scuffing since the IS is completely rigid fore-and-aft. You'll be able to stop in just a fraction of the distance with the disc brakes, though. Down side would be that your installation would be 50% more money than our mere two-axles rigs.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just got back from Elkhart Indiana three weeks ago. Spent three days At MORryde having the independent suspension install. I already had Kodiak disc brakes and new Timken bearings that I had installed myself. They did the complete suspension upgrade, reinstall my brakes and bearings, and installed new metal brake lines and brake pads. Excellent experience. I cannot overstate how completely impressed I was with the personnel, the facility, and everything about MORryde.

With that being said, I was about to have 8K suspension installed. MORryde completely talked me out of this. They advised me to stay with 7K suspension and that going above that was completely overkill. Think about it. My 376Th (with triple axels) has a gross weight of 20k. My current pin weight (measured on a scale) is almost 4100 lbs. So rounding the pin weight down to 4000 lbs, that would leave 16K on the 3 “axles” rated for 21k. That is already a 5k margin of “safety”. Adding 8k suspension would add another 3k that is not needed. Also the 7k suspension save me approximately $600. It’s a no brainer.

@orbiker, This is only my opinion (or it could be my imagination) backing into my driveway I have to make a sharp 90 degree turn. There actually appears to be less sidewall flex to the tires than before. I don’t have a logical reason for this. It just appears that way.

In my opinion, disc brakes upgrade is the best upgrade that you can do to an RV. After the 700 mile test ride home from Indiana, the independent suspension could easily be the second best upgrade. Both are very pricey, but money well spent.
    Last edited by vonzoog; 09-13-2020 at 06:04 AM.
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From personal experience, leave the suspension alone and just go with the disc brake conversion. Easy cost effective safety upgrade.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    If I order a Solitude 310GK and have Grand Design deliver it to Mor Ryde and have the IS installed and then delivered to me. Do you think Mor Ryde could estimate my loaded axle weights using past experience with other 310GK installs? That would be my only worry about having it done before delivery. Your thoughts please.Thanks
    I'm having IS with disk brakes installed by MORryde later this month. I've emailed them a couple of times asking about installing 8K IS on my 2021 310GK. This is what they said:

For this model of Solitude we would not recommend 8K IS. The reason is because an 8K IS would likely compromise the ride of the suspension as it would be too stiff because the trailer is rated for only 15,000 lbs. 7K IS is a lot more robust than a 7K straight axle and leaf spring set up. You would be in good shape with 7K IS.

We ask these questions of the professionals. I'll take their advise.
    (Ordered 7/13/20) 2021 Solitude 310GK, FBP, DP, HP, Toppers, Solar, MORryde 7K IS w/Disc Brakes
    Built 9/9/20; To Paint 9/11/20 (5-6 weeks); Done Paint 10/1/20; MORryde axle upgrade 10/5/20; Done at MORryde and paid for 10/8/20; Arrived at Dealer 10/20/20; picked up 11/7/20

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going from7K axles to 8K gets you larger bearings and brakes... That is a big improvement reliability wise and in braking performance. If one wanted to have the larger bearings /brakes and the 7K suspension ride, just remove one leaf from the spring pack. Not sure if it is that simple on the Mor Ryde system.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    Going from7K axles to 8K gets you larger bearings and brakes... That is a big improvement reliability wise and in braking performance. If one wanted to have the larger bearings /brakes and the 7K suspension ride, just remove one leaf from the spring pack. Not sure if it is that simple on the Mor Ryde system.
    MORryde has various rubber sheer springs at different ratings for each suspension unit so they can match to actual wheel weights.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Second Chance Rob - I completely agree with your assessment that stronger springs are not always the best option. Interesting that MORryde matches the spring rate to the load being carried at each wheel position. This is what Pat Wardell, myself and others on this forum came around to doing with the traditional leaf spring suspension on our Reflection 303s by putting slightly stronger springs on the left side only, to compensate for the side-to-side weight difference on this model. Your 337 would have a similar 800 lb or more weight difference from side-to-side.

As you probably recall from previous discussions on this forum, I talked at length with the LCI reps at a couple of the Indiana Rallies and they would not acknowledge the engineering rationale for matching spring strength to load being carried.

For our relatively light-weight 303, this suspension configuration is "adequate". Definitely not as good as the fully independent suspension that you have. Upgrading all the bushings and shackles does allow the suspension to move with less binding, which I think helps a lot. As everyone who has made the brake conversion has noted, disc brakes are the single most important safety improvement that can be made.

(another) Rob
    I realize this post is old but I have a 303 rls and am wanting to do axle upgrade and disk brakes. Did your 303 come with 5,200 lb axles? what did you upgrade to? Can you tell be a bit about the left side spring mod? I assume its to compensate for the heavier kitchen slide out.
    Alan and Paula
    2019 Reflection 303 RLS, 2004 Dodge 3500 5.9L
    Magnum 2k watt inverter-charger, 300 AH Battle Born battery bank, 560 watt solar power. 6K axles and disc brakes. Pepwave max transit cellular router.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast