Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Suspension / disc brake upgrade - trying to gain perspective

I’m sure there won’t be a shortage of opinions here! 😊

Researching the Pros and Cons of a disc brake / suspension overhaul on our 3-axle Momentum 397.

There are multiple posts of folks upgrading to disc brakes. Some owners do JUST a disc brake upgrade, with what I would call “minor suspension upgrades” (eg: Moryde LRE-SRE 4K ).

Others take the approach of replacing the axles which INCLUDE disc brakes – Dexter 8K or Moryde route (independent suspension).

Considering an upgrade to 8k axles vs existing 7ks…not for added weight capacity, but for a larger “safety buffer” overall. This is what is actually driving my research.

Looking for a little perspective on each upgrade methodology.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Upgrading to heavier suspension components - especially springs - can actually be harder on your rig. A stiffer suspension will not compress/travel as much when going over obstacles and, thus, will subject the frame and the rest of the rig to more shock and stress. When MOR/ryde installs the independent suspension, they match the rubber "springs" to the wheel-by wheel weights of your rig. They do not go heavier. One of the main advantages of the MOR/ryde IS system is that it significantly increases the suspension travel (and adds shocks), giving the whole coach a more gentle, less bouncy ride. In our case, the OEM solid axles were 6K and MOR/ryde installed 7K units - but only because they do not have a 6K assembly. They still matched the springs to my wheel-by-wheel weights so that the system is not "over-sprung." Between the ride, the tracking and handling, and the 50% decrease in stopping distance with the hydraulic disc brakes, it's the best investment we've made on our rig. The brake upgrade would certainly be a safety plus. I see the suspension upgrade as prolonging the life of our home.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just did the disc brake upgrade on our 337. Makes a huge difference in stopping performance. Didnt have budget for suspension too, maybe later.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Steve and Peggy
    Based in beautiful East Tennessee
    2016 Reflection 337RLS
    2017 Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4 CTD

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Second Chance Rob - I completely agree with your assessment that stronger springs are not always the best option. Interesting that MORryde matches the spring rate to the load being carried at each wheel position. This is what Pat Wardell, myself and others on this forum came around to doing with the traditional leaf spring suspension on our Reflection 303s by putting slightly stronger springs on the left side only, to compensate for the side-to-side weight difference on this model. Your 337 would have a similar 800 lb or more weight difference from side-to-side.

As you probably recall from previous discussions on this forum, I talked at length with the LCI reps at a couple of the Indiana Rallies and they would not acknowledge the engineering rationale for matching spring strength to load being carried.

For our relatively light-weight 303, this suspension configuration is "adequate". Definitely not as good as the fully independent suspension that you have. Upgrading all the bushings and shackles does allow the suspension to move with less binding, which I think helps a lot. As everyone who has made the brake conversion has noted, disc brakes are the single most important safety improvement that can be made.

(another) Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Kerrville, TX RV parks through April 2020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking of stronger springs, and repeating the point that tires and springs/shocks are a system, increasing the ply rating and spring rate by going to an uprated tire paired with more air pressure has major negative effects on the RV, as Second Chance has shared. To gain insight into this, take your tow vehicle and add 20 psi to the maximum recommended air pressure on all 4 tires and cautiously take it on a short journey. But keep it short, and don't put your tongue between your teeth! Yes, improvement is needed in tire quality, but it is a more involved process, which must include matching tire loading and air pressure relative to the load being carried. This is part of the reason that many light trucks have P rated tires, matching their typical load and usage, but not a proper tire for our towing needs.
    AKA Steve and Lynne
    Storm the Black Lab
    Reflection 337 RLS vin 573FR3628E3300393
    2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Longbox
    6.7 Cummins, 68 RFE transmission
    B and W Companion, Air Lifts

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by steve gravelle View Post
    Speaking of stronger springs, and repeating the point that tires and springs/shocks are a system, increasing the ply rating and spring rate by going to an uprated tire paired with more air pressure has major negative effects on the RV, as Second Chance has shared. To gain insight into this, take your tow vehicle and add 20 psi to the maximum recommended air pressure on all 4 tires and cautiously take it on a short journey. But keep it short, and don't put your tongue between your teeth! Yes, improvement is needed in tire quality, but it is a more involved process, which must include matching tire loading and air pressure relative to the load being carried. This is part of the reason that many light trucks have P rated tires, matching their typical load and usage, but not a proper tire for our towing needs.
    Steve,
    You can upgrade to a higher capacity tire and run the same air pressure, or a pressure close the original tire. Agree, it would be unwise to go to the max side wall pressure of a higher capacity tire. I've upgraded the D rated Westlake tires on my Imagine 2600RB. Sold the five Westlakes for $175.00 and never looked back. I just returned from a trip with the Goodyear Endurance E rated tires inflated to the same 65 psi and the trailer has less bounce and handled perfectly. I did lose a half inch of fender clearance since the Goodyear's are taller and am looking into one of three suspension upgrades to raise the trailer an inch or two, but I will maintain my factory spring rates. I did notice that the slide out side has additional clearance since the slide rides above the floor, where the heavier kitchen side has one inch of less clearance. From the occasional dry camping we do where the ground can be very uneven, I will raise the trailer to provide more confidence. I would also like to find jounce bumpers to add to the trailer as another level of protection. I cannot understand why this is not standard equipment on all trailers.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Upgrading to heavier suspension components - especially springs - can actually be harder on your rig. A stiffer suspension will not compress/travel as much when going over obstacles and, thus, will subject the frame and the rest of the rig to more shock and stress. When MOR/ryde installs the independent suspension, they match the rubber "springs" to the wheel-by wheel weights of your rig. They do not go heavier. One of the main advantages of the MOR/ryde IS system is that it significantly increases the suspension travel (and adds shocks), giving the whole coach a more gentle, less bouncy ride. In our case, the OEM solid axles were 6K and MOR/ryde installed 7K units - but only because they do not have a 6K assembly. They still matched the springs to my wheel-by-wheel weights so that the system is not "over-sprung." Between the ride, the tracking and handling, and the 50% decrease in stopping distance with the hydraulic disc brakes, it's the best investment we've made on our rig. The brake upgrade would certainly be a safety plus. I see the suspension upgrade as prolonging the life of our home.

Rob
    Rob
    After getting the Mor Ryde IS system installed can you buy a spring and install it yourself if one fails?

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    Rob
    After getting the Mor Ryde IS system installed can you buy a spring and install it yourself if one fails?
    If you're talking about the rubber sheer springs, the answer is, "Yes." MORryde will send you the rubber springs and you can either do it yourself (I've had them off... it ain't easy) or have a trailer shop do it for you. In the 4.5 years we had the IS on our Reflection, though, we never had so much as a crack in the springs. The Solitude is too new to worry about, yet.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    If you're talking about the rubber sheer springs, the answer is, "Yes." MORryde will send you the rubber springs and you can either do it yourself (I've had them off... it ain't easy) or have a trailer shop do it for you. In the 4.5 years we had the IS on our Reflection, though, we never had so much as a crack in the springs. The Solitude is too new to worry about, yet.

Rob
    Thanks. Just didn't want to make the long trip back to Indiana.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    Thanks. Just didn't want to make the long trip back to Indiana.
    If I order a Solitude 310GK and have Grand Design deliver it to Mor Ryde and have the IS installed and then delivered to me. Do you think Mor Ryde could estimate my loaded axle weights using past experience with other 310GK installs? That would be my only worry about having it done before delivery. Your thoughts please.Thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast