Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

electrical question?

We have a 2018 29RS 5th wheel. I have had the camper plugged into the garage outlet for a few weeks. The battery was fully charged. Now 2 weeks later there is no power to turn on the inside lights. I checked the battery and it showed 3.4V. No appliances nor lights were left on in the camper. The battery discharge handle was left on. I was at the assumption that leaving the camper plugged in to a household plug would keep the battery charged. Is my thinking wrong? I Have no clue as to what drained the battery. Any ideas?
    thanks.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There are a few things to check out.

1. Was the battery disconnect switch turned off? If so, the batteries will not charge and will discharge over time. I think you answered this by stating "The battery discharge handle was left on", but want to make sure we're talking about the same thing. I'm talking about the red switch that is in the basement.

2. Open up your circuit breaker panel and make sure that all your circuit breakers are "on". If the breaker for the converter is turned off, the batteries will not be charged.

3. Check all the outlets in your trailer to make sure that none of the GFI outlets are tripped. I'm not sure how your specific unit is wired, but if the converter is plugged into an outlet that is GFI protected, that could explain the issue.

If those don't catch the issue, let us know if you have a volt meter and we can help you trouble-shoot the converter and it's fuses.

Jim

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Jim, the battery disconnect, red handle, was in the on position. I did check all breakers but not any fuses. I'll look at the GFCIs then the fuses on the converter.
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    There are a few things to check out.

1. Was the battery disconnect switch turned off? If so, the batteries will not charge and will discharge over time. I think you answered this by stating "The battery discharge handle was left on", but want to make sure we're talking about the same thing. I'm talking about the red switch that is in the basement.

2. Open up your circuit breaker panel and make sure that all your circuit breakers are "on". If the breaker for the converter is turned off, the batteries will not be charged.

3. Check all the outlets in your trailer to make sure that none of the GFI outlets are tripped. I'm not sure how your specific unit is wired, but if the converter is plugged into an outlet that is GFI protected, that could explain the issue.

If those don't catch the issue, let us know if you have a volt meter and we can help you trouble-shoot the converter and it's fuses.

Jim

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do your camper lights work now? If not your converter is dead and/or the fuses on it are blown. Basically the converter and battery are basically "paralleled" at the breaker panel assuming the battery switch is on. If the converter is bad you are just on battery and on a few weeks time your CO and propane detector will drain the battery even tough lights were off. There really is no way of knowing until it is too late.

BTW, don't ask why I know this...
    Jim
    2017 F350 Bronze Fire XLT short bed SuperCab, SRW power stroke Diesel, 3.31 rear end, 18" AT tires
    Demco hijacker autoslide hitch
    2018 303RLS VIN#: 573FR3329J3313328. Built 4/2017. Dual AC's, freestanding table/chairs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to state the obvious here, but make sure the breaker for the garage outlet isn't tripped, or the GFCI feeding the garage outlet.

Are you sure you have 115V power to the camper? Is the Microwave clock on?
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    2019 F350 Platinum 6.7L LB 4x4

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first, and probably most important, mod I made to my fiver was to wire a cheap digital voltmeter in to the 12 volt system. Its not as fancy as something like a Triminic, but I can tell if the battery is charging, what state it is charging at, or how far discharged the batteries are. While there are significant limits to the accuracy of this type of voltmeter, it does the job if I do mine. For ten bucks I know when the external breaker has popped and when it is time to charge the batteries.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTX View Post
    The first, and probably most important, mod I made to my fiver was to wire a cheap digital voltmeter in to the 12 volt system. Its not as fancy as something like a Triminic, but I can tell if the battery is charging, what state it is charging at, or how far discharged the batteries are. While there are significant limits to the accuracy of this type of voltmeter, it does the job if I do mine. For ten bucks I know when the external breaker has popped and when it is time to charge the batteries.
    Agreed, just a simple dc meter will tell you if you are on converter or battery and if on battery how much charge you have left. See meter in bottom of the picture.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	34600BF2-1151-4D14-A510-31F0F7600D8C.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	8.9 KB 
ID:	11473

Jim
    2017 F350 Bronze Fire XLT short bed SuperCab, SRW power stroke Diesel, 3.31 rear end, 18" AT tires
    2018 303RLS VIN#: 573FR3329J3313328. Built 4/2017. Dual AC's, freestanding table/chairs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How did you wire the meter to the rig? Just a wire from the Pos. side of battery to the Neg. side, with the meter in the Pos. side of the run?
    John & Joan
    w/Dakota & Cooper
    Tidewater VA
    2016 303 RLS (#7608) Build 3/16
    Dodge 2004.5 S/B
    B & W Companion Slider Hitch

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumpster View Post
    How did you wire the meter to the rig? Just a wire from the Pos. side of battery to the Neg. side, with the meter in the Pos. side of the run?
    I just tapped off of the 12v line going to the battery level meter on the control panel. You are just looking for 13.6 and greater charging. 13-13.6 float ( running in converter). 11.9-12.6 running on battery from 100% charged to 0% usable charge.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^^ Exactly. Here's what I used
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._rd_i=15729811

There are a variety of them in different colors, too. While you're at it get a couple of similar USB and 12 volt plugs. Don't forget to get a hole saw, too.
    (Sorry I don't remember the size.) Mount the 12 volt plug near your TV (12 volts are available from the antenna converter) and you can use a small automotive style inverter to power your TV when on battery). I have a 100 watt inverter on my BR TV and 400 watts for the LR TV and satellite. You never have enough USB plugs.

While you're at it, order some of these wire taps
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A decent ratchet crimping tool and wire stripper are worth their weight in gold, too.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast