Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help with Schwintek motor error

I posted this in the non-specific electrical section but got no replies.

Anyone know the model of the Schwintek Motors that are needed for the Reflection 5th wheels? I found a Lippert 236575 RV In-Wall Slide-Out Motor for a decent price. Will this work in my Reflection 30BH?

I looked at the controller model and it's a 13398-D0 model which isn't shown in the manual. Now i'm not certain which replacement motor will be a match for the other motor. The one nentioned above is supposed to be used for obsolete motors. However it doesn't say so I'm not sure if I will need new wiring harness as well.

I have the dreaded failure #9 indicating a hall power short to ground (wiring issue) on motor 1 of my rear slide. I'm wanting to order a replacement motor to swap out bad one.

I believe the motors are in the upper interior side corners of the slide under the bulb seal. Can anyone confirm the location of the motors on my model or similar?

Also are the existing bulb seals easily replaced after you remove them?

Sorry for all the questions. I haves to many long trips planned to wait for months & pay dealer to fix it.

Thanks,
    Curt
    '17 Reflection 30BH
    '17 Ram 3500 CTD Sport CC 4x4
    B&W RVK3600

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had the same failure; "Hall Power Short/Failure" on my new Imagine 2250RK and used manual mode to operate slide. Once I opened slide and closed slide several times error went away. Guy at Grand Design told me to always let slide out all the way or bring it in all the way and hold button a few seconds after slide stops. The encoders in motors are counting revolutions of motors and sending information to motor control panel and when you partially open or close slide they may get out of sequence.

Need to have manual operating instructions handy at all times.

My 2 motors are at top on each side of slide.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have always run them to full out/in with the switch to keep them even. On this first trip of the season the slides would not nice at all. The sensor lit up green once and 9 reds. I could hear the control unit clicking so it was getting the signal which makes me believe it's the motor. In reading the online manual it doesn't show my model controller 13398-M0. Then there's some talk about needing new wiring harnesses for the older motors. I haven't pulled mine yet because we are camping again this weekend, but I'd like to get it ordered.
    '17 Reflection 30BH
    B&W RVK3600

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know that Lippert upgraded the motor but I thought it was earlier than 2017. So it's possible your RV already has the updgraded motor. I believe you can actually see the motor from inside the RV by pulling back or pushing in the seal. On the motor will be a the model # on an adhesive sticker. The motor is located about 1/3 from the top of slide out. I do know there are two different speeds of Schwintek motors and obviously you want to match revolutions to revolutions. Best bet is to get your current model #, call Lippert and ask if the motor you are looking at will be compatible.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the tips. Tomorrow I'll try to pull back the bulb seal and look for the motor. I may have to remove the fascia trim boards at the front of the slide though which looks like it will be PITA to keep them intact.

I'm hoping I have the correct wiring and that it's not a bad wiring harness because I don't want to have to pull the bottom undercarriage cover to run wires.
    '17 Reflection 30BH
    B&W RVK3600

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could try calling Grand Design customer service with your vin. They may be able to help IDing the part. A call to Lippert might help also.

Let us know what you find out. The Schwintek slide on my '17 315RLTS has been cranky of late, not wanting to come in. Had to use the manual setting on the controller once. Running it in and out about 6 inches several times seems to get it back on track. Access to these motors will be very difficult on my trailer due to the proximity of walls on either side of the slide.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Put in a call to both Lippert and Grand Design. The LCI guy said he couldn't give me much info until I knew the model # of the motor. The GD person didn't answer so I left a VM. So far haven't heard back.

I can't believe I'm the only Reflection owner that's pulled out a bad motor though. These Schwintek slides have so many failure reports all over the internet.

I'm gonna attempt to locate the motor tomorrow if the rain holds off. Will update if I determine anything.
    '17 Reflection 30BH
    B&W RVK3600

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadDog66 View Post
    Put in a call to both Lippert and Grand Design. The LCI guy said he couldn't give me much info until I knew the model # of the motor. The GD person didn't answer so I left a VM. So far haven't heard back.

I can't believe I'm the only Reflection owner that's pulled out a bad motor though. These Schwintek slides have so many failure reports all over the internet...
    No you are not alone with Schwintek motor issues. But like I posted previously, until you get the motor model # it's impossible to decide which replacement motor will work.

There are also several YouTube videos on this that may be of help.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking LCI and GD would have used certain motors in certain model year products and have a general idea rather than having to take it apart first. Guess I'm expecting too much from a $60K investment...LOL.
    '17 Reflection 30BH
    B&W RVK3600

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UPDATE

Okay so I went to my 30BH and tried pulling the motor to check the model. Could not for the life of me get it loose. I removed the only screw I could find on the outside wall of the unit near the motor first, but the motor would not budge. The screw was silver square driver type screw in the bulb seal track. Does this look correct? See Photos

There were no other screws under the seals or anywhere near the motor I could locate. The only other screws were the ones you don't want to remove that hold the exterior surround pieces. It was a tight fit trying to get myself in between the interior slide trim fascia and reaching the motor so it could be I didn't have enough leverage, but I even tried to wiggle it with a long screw driver and still nothing. While doing so I put a call in to a GD Tech to see what else I could try. He had me swap the motor wire harness plugs and since I continued to get the #9 Hall Effect Sensor Error to Motor 1 he determine its not the motor, it's the wiring harness. I am now ordering a 30ft Lippert Components 229756 Wiring Harness. I will have to try to drop just that back corner of the underbelly on the Motor 1 side of the camper and see if I can reach the existing harness wiring to be able to pull it and replace with the new one. Has anyone done this yet to their camper? If so any insight or tips?

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GD 1.jpg   GD 2.jpg   GD 3.jpg   GD 4.jpg  
    '17 Reflection 30BH
    B&W RVK3600

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast