Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2018 Imagine 2800bh sewer gas odor

Seeking cause of sewer gas odor that just cropped up on my Imagine 2800bh this past weekend. While helping with dishes, I noticed odor after running water into drain. Odor is strongest just inside the bedroom door. Day one noticeable, day two stronger, and the third day was stronger yet. I thought it might be propane, so I turned it off on the evening of day one. Odor returned on evening of day two while running water. I read where hot water can have an odor if the water heater isn't drained after use. Hot water in bathroom sink and shower is odor free. Checked under the "kitchen" sink. The odor isn't overwhelming. There is a water trap, but there is no "vent" like there is in the bathroom sink. The PVC goes from the trap to a "T" in the wall. PVC pipe goes up to a vent on the roof and the other should go to the grey water holding tank. Odor dissipates after about a half hour and doesn't return until more water is drained from sink.

Called GD this morning. Customer service rep thought there should be a vent inline with the PVC, just off of the trap , but didn't know for sure. According to my observations, there may not be room for the top of the vent to clear the bottom of the sink. The top of the vent may not be too much higher than the water level in the trap. The rep thought the PVC pipe going to the roof may be cut too long and would keep it from "breathing". If that was the case, the problem would have shown up before now (9th camping trip to date). He agreed with my reasoning, but he suggested I take it to the dealer. I checked the roof vent this evening and it looks fine.

Called the dealer. Service rep had nothing to offer except that the PVC pipe going to the holding tank may have come loose or at least the seal is broken and allowing gas to escape. He said some manufacturers don't always glue the PVC to the holding tank and when going over rough roads, it could loosen. Possible I guess, but again, why wouldn't the odor linger? HHe couldn't answer that question. Service departments wants me to bring it in to take a look at it. The dealership is 50 miles away and their first available appointment isn't until mid-July.

Thoughts? I've got trips scheduled for the next 4 out of 6 weekends and one angry wife.

Rob

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The symptoms are exactly what you get with a stuck air admittance valve ( AAV). Myself and others have suffered this fate. Don't know why there is no valve on the kitchen plumbing but I'd stick my nose under the bathroom sink to see if that's the source. You can remove the AAV and clean it under running water. I've done this and it will get you back on the road if that's your problem. There are better AAVs on the market than what came with your rig. Many have replaced theirs with a better valve.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feedback. The 2800bh has two grey tanks, one up front for the kitchen area and another in the rear for the bathroom sink and shower. There are two separate dump valves, so I'm thinking they wouldn't connected and vented by the AAV under the bathroom sink. There is no odor coming from under the bathroom sink.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it was the AAV in the bathroom you would know it after the "nose test". I can only suggest that you keep sniffing around for the source.
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ours was under the kitchen sink. A quick trip to Lowes/Home Depot/Ace/True Value will find you a much better AAV then the ones installed. The AAV is usually the source of the problem, just have to find the right one.
    Robert/Sandy/Lily (mini Yorkie)
    2015 Grand Design 313RLTS
    2008 Dodge 2500 Cummins (modified)
    Past units: 85 Holiday Rambler TT, 88 Jayco 5th wheel, 91 Avion 5th wheel, 94 Hitchhiker 5th wheel, 2000 Discovery motorhome, 2001 Mountain Aire motorhome, 2005 42' Travel Supreme motorhome, 2014 Outback TT

http://i.imgur.com/cie9h38.jpg

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no AAV under the kitchen sink. P trap then short PVC pipe to vent on roof.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zymurgist View Post
    There is no AAV under the kitchen sink. P trap then short PVC pipe to vent on roof.
    I checked under the kitchen sink in our 2018 2800BH, and didn't see a readily apparent air admittance valve either. However, the air admittance valve under the bathroom sink comes up through the floor rather than being teed off the sink drain line, which has me wondering if there is a similar situation coming up through the floor for the kitchen gray water system. If so, I haven't found it yet.
    Joe & Joy + children
    2018 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 Tremor, 7.3L V8
    Equal-i-zer 1,200/12,000 lb. hitch

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One other possibility is your fresh water tank. I had the awful smell issue and found that the fresh water I left for an extended time developed an awful sewer like smell. I drained the tank, refilled adding some bleach to disinfect, flushed again and the problem was gone.

So the smell hit when running fresh water from my tank. Rotten egg smell.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Eddie said, "time to empty the schidder"

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since there isn't an AAV under the kitchen sink is it possible that the roof vent is blocked?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Tom & Nancy
    Newport, MI
    369RL, #302

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast