Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shower Leak

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The water on the floor between the shower and sink is probably from the shower base not being caulked. We had that problem and had to caulk the entire base of the shower frame.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Carl and Diane - Arkansas
    2017 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
    2020 CHEVY 2500 HIGH COUNTRY DURAMAX
    Companion 5th wheel

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok. Still leaking... I took the camper out for a day trip to check all systems before a trip this Saturday. Hooked up to city, water returned to the area where the water previously presented itself under the linen closet beside the shower. I had to press a towel up to the seam between the cabinet trim and the floor, but it would syphon out water from under the trim. I opened the access panel to expose the shower faucet connection in the wall space and everything was dry. I looked in the heater return vent and found a small amount of water dripping from the drain pipe for the shower. Did not use the shower yet on this trip. I returned home and hooked up to city water at the house. I cut an access hole though the bottom of the lower linen cabinet to see into the empty space behind where the water was coming out. There was no water in this empty cavity. So the water had to be coming from the gap in the wall where the shower supply passes through the floor to the shower faucet. I removed the wall in the garage to get a better view of the underside of the shower. I could not find any water, damp areas, or signs of previous water damage. This was good news, but did not help me figure out where the water was coming from.

I left the water to the trailer on all night and under pressure. Tonight I went back out to check for signs of moisture and there it was, seeping out from under the linen closet trim. I checked shower faucet fixture in the access panel again and it was bone dry. I looked through the access hole I cut last night and the saw dust from the cut was wet on the shower side. O took a picture down through the wall cavity and you can see the water pooling behind the linen closet trim.

I went back into the garage to find any signs of moisture and found nothing. I felt the supply lines for the shower passing through a hole in the floor up through the wall cavity between the linen closet and the shower. No moisture, but I did find out that the supply lines for the sink are tapped in just above the hole and run under the shower floor into the opposite wall cavity and to the sink faucet. I thought the leak must be coming from the line under the shower and flowing to the inside edge of the shower which is caulked from the outside and then running toward the linen closet where I saw the water pooling. The only other way water could get under there is the shower drain, but I did not use the shower at all.

Take a look at the pictures. First picture shows the inside bottom of the linen closet (empty space) prior to the water supply being turned on. Second picture shows the same view 24 hours later with the saw dust visibly wet. Third picture shows the view down into the wall cavity between the empty bottom of the linen cabinet in previous picture and the shower. You can clearly see the water collecting. The last picture is from my inspection scope inserted through the shower drain hole in the garage to view the space under the floor of the shower. You can see droplets of water on the flooring and this picture is directly under the supply lines running to the sink faucet. The picture is almost upside down. With the scope, I can also see the path of water running along the shower base to the linen closet where it is pooling and seeping under the trim.

This is a very small leak but it will continue to cause damage. I suspect one of the two lines running under the shower were either damaged during install by the tip of a screw, nail or staple or a coupling in not completely crimped. Either way the only way to get under the shower would be to cut an access through the master bedroom wall and I am not sure it could be repaired from there. This is probably going to be a big repair. Fortunately, the damage to this point is small and limited to the linen closet trim. I did verify the insulation in the underbelly is dry.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0521.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	5676

Name:	IMG_0537.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	5675

Name:	IMG_0543.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	71.9 KB 
ID:	5674

Name:	Reading.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	7.7 KB 
ID:	5677

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Found the leak! It was the sink faucet. I pulled the molding off the bedroom wall and there was an access hole for the sink faucet. The hot water fitting was dripping.

The water was dripping into the red PEX and following it under the shower.

https://vimeo.com/193128255

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12