Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hot Water Heater Flush

Morning everyone,

My wife and I have been full-timing in a 2018 337RLS for three months and I'm wondering if it is necessary to flush the hot water heater.

It works fine and we do not have any odors or any other issues.

I'm thinking since we use it constantly it should be ok. Not being lazy just looking at from a necessity perspective.

Thanks!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jrobertson8746 View Post
    Morning everyone,

My wife and I have been full-timing in a 2018 337RLS for three months and I'm wondering if it is necessary to flush the hot water heater.

It works fine and we do not have any odors or any other issues.

I'm thinking since we use it constantly it should be ok. Not being lazy just looking at from a necessity perspective.

Thanks!
    We've fulltimed for 4 years and I flush mine every 5-6 months and replace the anode rod. Suburban heaters (which I have) use anode rods - the Atwoods do not. Since I typically sanitize my plumbing system twice a year, I usually do it at the same time.

Alan
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is just my opinion, unless it’s been sitting for a lengthy period, it doesn’t need to be flushed often. I would consider maybe once every 12-18 months. No matter what you do, there’s gonna be some water remaining in the tank when you’re done. I’m not even sure the flush techniques I’m aware of get everything out that may be on the bottom.
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At minimum drain it and check the anode rod once a year. That rod is clutch in keeping your tank from getting calcified.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm just going based on my experience, but I've never had an anode rod that would last a year, but we travel all the time other than a winter hiatus somewhere. There has been enough variation is minerals from stop to stop that even with double filtration, those sacrificial anodes sacrifice themselves quickly. It is true that you will never get all the water out, but with a flusher wand attachment on your hose, you'll get most of the sediment out. Again, this is more an issue with the Suburbans since they use an anode and that is what I'm familiar with. As with all things, YMMV.

Here the flush wand
    https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Rinser-...ank+flush+wand

Alan
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    At minimum drain it and check the anode rod once a year. That rod is clutch in keeping your tank from getting calcified.
    Good point. I tend to forget about those anode rods since I’ve never had a water heater with one.
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post

The anode in our Suburban water heater rarely lasts a full year. I check it twice a year to be on the safe side.

Kathy
    Jim and Kathy Marker - Ramona, Ca.
    2014 Solitude 369RL #1277 (AKA - "Tudee")
    2014 3500 Ram Laramie HD Dually Crew Cab 4x4 -6.7 Cummins with Aisin Tranny (AKA - "Big Foot")
    50 gal Transfer Flow Auxiliary Tank
    Curt Q24 Hitch
    2002 2500 Chevy LB HD Duramax Crew Cab- Retired
    EEZRV TPMS- Tire Pressure Monitoring System

http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/...tesMap_1_1.gif
    http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/...ovincesMap.gif

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Attwood water heater with the plastic drain plug on our 297RSTS. I am curious if the water should be drained if you are not using the trailer for a few weeks. We had not used our trailer for a couple of months and noticed a rotten egg smell (hydrogen sulfide] coming from the hot water. Has anyone replaced the plastic plug with a valve?

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by srobins View Post
    I have the Attwood water heater with the plastic drain plug on our 297RSTS. I am curious if the water should be drained if you are not using the trailer for a few weeks. We had not used our trailer for a couple of months and noticed a rotten egg smell (hydrogen sulfide] coming from the hot water. Has anyone replaced the plastic plug with a valve?
    Doesn't hurt to drain it. Especially if you camped in a place with hard water. That rotten egg smell is common in places with well water and areas with a lot of sulfur or other stinky elements / compounds.

I wouldn't leave it in my tanks.

We don't have a plastic plug on ours so can't comment on that.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by srobins View Post
    srobins - I always drain my water system if I am not going to be using the RV for a couple of weeks . . . just so I don’t have to deal with hydrogen sulphide smell. I put a drain on my water heater. Went through a couple of iterations based on advice to avoid galvanic corrosion between a brass plug and the aluminum tank. See https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...r-Heater-Plug?

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast