User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have not had that problem with mine at all. Have you had it checked?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy82 View Post
    Have not had that problem with mine at all. Have you had it checked?

No, I do all my own work. I'm sure it is under warranty just don't want to go thu all the BS of getting it fixed by dealer. From what I have read online it is a common problem. Fix is new carb. I have had a hard time buying that but after taking the carb apart and cleaning four times I'm starting to believe it. I will do a couple more cleanings and then purchase a new one or take to dealer if I can't get it running right. BTW, I have done the monthly exercise of the genny per the book and use stabilizer in my fuel. Reason I am confident that it is the carb is that it purrs like a kitten until it warms up and choke is open. When it starts surging I can close down the choke to smooth it out.
    Steve
    2017 F350 6.7 Lariat DRW
    2017 Momentum 388M
    North of Houston

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sgrol60 View Post
    No, I do all my own work. I'm sure it is under warranty just don't want to go thu all the BS of getting it fixed by dealer. From what I have read online it is a common problem. Fix is new carb. I have had a hard time buying that but after taking the carb apart and cleaning four times I'm starting to believe it. I will do a couple more cleanings and then purchase a new one or take to dealer if I can't get it running right. BTW, I have done the monthly exercise of the genny per the book and use stabilizer in my fuel. Reason I am confident that it is the carb is that it purrs like a kitten until it warms up and choke is open. When it starts surging I can close down the choke to smooth it out.
    Might be. Is yours a gas version? Mine’s an LP.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might be. Is yours a gas version? Mine’s an LP.

Mine is gas, you won't have this problem. How much LP does yours go thru? Didn't think I would have enough propane to run a LP gen. Definitely would prefer LP.
    Steve
    2017 F350 6.7 Lariat DRW
    2017 Momentum 388M
    North of Houston

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine is gas, you won't have this problem. How much LP does yours go thru? Didn't think I would have enough propane to run a LP gen. Definitely would prefer LP.
    I’ve got two 40 lb tanks but I’ve never really tracked it. The consumption figures at 50% load are somewhere online - I know that because I looked them up 4 years ago. I’ll see if I can find my calculations.

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's the usage specs for my Onan 5500 LP generator (5500 highlighted in yellow - 6500 to the left):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-11-07 at 9.31.03 AM.png 
Views:	35 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	16180

So, Ive got 2 x 40 lb tanks ... probably about 72 lbs actual when filled. At no load - 40 hours. At 1/2 load - 21.8 hours. At full load - 15.6 hours.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's the usage specs for my Onan 5500 LP generator (5500 highlighted in yellow - 6500 to the left):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-11-07 at 9.31.03 AM.png 
Views:	35 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	16180

So, Ive got 2 x 40 lb tanks ... probably about 72 lbs actual when filled. At no load - 40 hours. At 1/2 load - 21.8 hours. At full load - 15.6 hours.
    Thanks for that info. I can see how that would work for you in NY but in TX that would not give me enough run time when all 3 A/Cs are going (only two at a time of course). Wish it would have worked. My home 20KW Onan uses propane and is trouble free.
    Steve
    2017 F350 6.7 Lariat DRW
    2017 Momentum 388M
    North of Houston

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that info. I can see how that would work for you in NY but in TX that would not give me enough run time when all 3 A/Cs are going (only two at a time of course). Wish it would have worked. My home 20KW Onan uses propane and is trouble free.
    I'm rarely on generator for that long anyway - I'm not a boondocker. We're glampers. We'll spend an off grid night here or there, but few and far between. We do use it a lot when traveling for meal breaks at rest stops and we have had power outages in campgrounds (we just stayed at a KOA and the pedestal on my site in a full campground was dead - generator time. The owner topped off my tank for free). Mainly, it's just a very nice convenience.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have both - 3 Honda 2000 portables and an Onan 5500 onboard. I prefer to use the Hondas. I can use 1 or all three depending on the load needed. My TH is a little over 1 year old and my Onan surges severely with a light to no load. This has to be rough on the TH electronics. The Hondas just run and, being inverters, output clean voltage. I tried to get a TH without the Onan but couldn't without special order. I plug the Hondas into the TH gas tank so never need to worry about fuel and they are a lot more stingy with the fuel than the Onan.
    It sounds like the pilot jet in the carburetor of your Onan is plugged and needs cleaning or replacement. If you're running the Hondas and leaving fuel in the Onan carb float bowl, it only takes a few weeks to partially clog a jet with today's fine gasoline.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have pulled and cleaned three jets and one adjusting screw (altitude adjustment). All are spotless. Why would you need to replace them? (they are not available as parts anyway) I do drain my Honda carbs between usage. I now drain my Onan bowl also. I was thinking that the monthly exercise would alleviate draining the bowl but it doesn't.
    Steve
    2017 F350 6.7 Lariat DRW
    2017 Momentum 388M
    North of Houston

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast