User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Generator for my Solitude 310GK

Hi fellow forum users. I have a 2017 Solitude 310GK which I purchased new last year and am thinking about installing a generator. Am not sure what kind to install or what size, etc., but have a friend who wants to sell his Onan 5500 and am wondering if that will work in my RV. I'm really a newbie to RVing and don't have a lot of mechanical knowledge so am wondering if anyone out there can give me some assistance or suggestions regarding proper generator installs. Not sure if I should go with the used generator, or with a new one installed by my dealer. Thanks for any help you can give me. JT

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just my opinion - everyone has one I suppose.........

1. first be sure you really need an onboard generator;
    2. consider an external generator if you only need to take it on dry camping trips (less weight);
    3. for an onboard install I would spend the $$ and get an Onan 5500kw that belongs in the RV along with the associated generator box and proper exhaust if I had a permanent one (I elected not to as I have 2 Honda 2000's I can take along if/when necessary

Hope this helps some....
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've thought about this as well. But....
    The generator weighs 279 pounds. Then you need the box, ventilation, etc... to install it. Looking at well beyond 300 pounds.
    If going Propane, would likely want to upgrade to 40lb tanks; which adds roughly 50 pounds (increase ~ 16lb tare weight plus 10lb of propane weight for each tank).

This alone puts me well beyond my pin weight requirements for my SRW truck (RAWR of 7K)
    2018 Solitude 344gk
    2021 Ram 3500 SRW

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're roughly the same size, so why not go with the 7000?
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    just my opinion - everyone has one I suppose.........

1. first be sure you really need an onboard generator;
    2. consider an external generator if you only need to take it on dry camping trips (less weight);
    3. for an onboard install I would spend the $$ and get an Onan 5500kw that belongs in the RV along with the associated generator box and proper exhaust if I had a permanent one (I elected not to as I have 2 Honda 2000's I can take along if/when necessary

Hope this helps some....
    Maybe just a bit off topic, but what all can you run with the 2 Honda's? 1 AC plus refrigerator and misc?
    Thanks

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was the problem i had on the 310GK is I wanted an Onan generator and stackable washer dryer and both those using a 70 to 80% of weight going to the pin would put over my axle ratings on 1-ton diesel SRW that I was already over GVWR loaded for a 30-day trip. Even lightly loaded I would over my GVWR of my truck and without them within 200 pounds of being over my GVWR.

Quote Originally Posted by bfs673 View Post
    I've thought about this as well. But....
    The generator weighs 279 pounds. Then you need the box, ventilation, etc... to install it. Looking at well beyond 300 pounds.
    If going Propane, would likely want to upgrade to 40lb tanks; which adds roughly 50 pounds (increase ~ 16lb tare weight plus 10lb of propane weight for each tank).

This alone puts me well beyond my pin weight requirements for my SRW truck (RAWR of 7K)
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joetar View Post
    Hi fellow forum users. I have a 2017 Solitude 310GK which I purchased new last year and am thinking about installing a generator. Am not sure what kind to install or what size, etc., but have a friend who wants to sell his Onan 5500 and am wondering if that will work in my RV. I'm really a newbie to RVing and don't have a lot of mechanical knowledge so am wondering if anyone out there can give me some assistance or suggestions regarding proper generator installs. Not sure if I should go with the used generator, or with a new one installed by my dealer. Thanks for any help you can give me. JT
    We've waffled about doing this. Our 310GK came factory-prepped for a generator (the Onan 5500 is a popular choice for this) so I can report that a "proper" install involves starting and monitoring electronics and wiring inside the trailer on the control panel, as well as equipment and wiring in the utility basement for managing switching between generator and shore power.

You say you don't have a lot of mechanical knowledge, so these and challenges posed by others so far in this thread may be significant for you.

We are now leaning against adding the weight, noise, vibration, maintenance, and ongoing cost of the generator and considering applying the generator's significant cost towards a solar system. It won't run air conditioning (unless we spent a big bundle on it and associated inverters, etc.) but it will run everything else.

We already have an inexpensive Champion 3400 generator if we want to run an AC unit, and could purchase a second one and easily and inexpensively bridge them together if we wanted to run both ACs. Both together would cost about half as much as one new Onan 5500.

Good luck with your choice.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joetar View Post
    The 5500 would be a good choice if you can get it for a good price. The one thing you don't mention is if it's propane or gasoline powered. Propane is obviously easier to setup since you already have a fuel supply and aren't a TH with a gas tank.

If I were paying for new, I would get a 6500 so you can run both ACs if needed (Onan does not make a 7000 for propane). However we've lived perfectly in hot weather only running one unit off our 3600 Onan when needed. It's just a matter of planning such as keeping blinds closed from morning and starting the one AC before it gets too hot, etc..

The installation is fairly straightforward but does require additional parts and a plan. You need to fabricate a rack to fit in the front compartment and mount the generator to. You will need to purchase or build an enclosure. You need to intercept the gas line and run a line to the generator. You need a 50 amp automatic transfer switch so that the main power will automatically switch from shore power to generator power once the gennie has been started. Which leads to a remote start switch/run time monitor which you need to run a wire into the trailer so you can start the gennie remotely. That's kind of it in a nut shell.

Don't be discouraged by all those who will tell you to just get a couple of portable inverter/generators if you really want an on-board unit. We used portable gennies for many years and they served there purpose but we've always dreamed of a seamless system that I didn't have to get out to connect or start, etc. It is everything we hoped for but clearly more expensive than portable units. For me I spent $3,500 for the generator, then a few hundred more for ancillary equipment and supplies. Is it more expensive than portable units? Without a doubt. But we have been super happy with our decision for the last 4 years.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Home made generator box:

Wiring the automatic transfer switch:

Start switch (doing it over I would spring for the digital model because, believe it or not, the sound of the counter flipping over can drive me nuts):

I after everything was installed I took the whole trailer to my muffler shop/welder who fabricated my exhaust, complete with a nice chrome tip!:
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smullinax View Post
    Maybe just a bit off topic, but what all can you run with the 2 Honda's? 1 AC plus refrigerator and misc?
    Thanks
    I figure one AC, frig, inverter/charger. No fireplace or electric heater(s). If we use our electric skillet, foster, coffee maker I expect the gens will support those too even with one AC running. They give me 4000W and have served well in previous pull-behinds. I also have an external fuel tank I can run them from with modified fuel caps & appropriate fuel lines (hoses).
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post
    The 5500 would be a good choice if you can get it for a good price. The one thing you don't mention is if it's propane or gasoline powered. Propane is obviously easier to setup since you already have a fuel supply and aren't a TH with a gas tank.

If I were paying for new, I would get a 6500 so you can run both ACs if needed (Onan does not make a 7000 for propane). However we've lived perfectly in hot weather only running one unit off our 3600 Onan when needed. It's just a matter of planning such as keeping blinds closed from morning and starting the one AC before it gets too hot, etc..

The installation is fairly straightforward but does require additional parts and a plan. You need to fabricate a rack to fit in the front compartment and mount the generator to. You will need to purchase or build an enclosure. You need to intercept the gas line and run a line to the generator. You need a 50 amp automatic transfer switch so that the main power will automatically switch from shore power to generator power once the gennie has been started. Which leads to a remote start switch/run time monitor which you need to run a wire into the trailer so you can start the gennie remotely. That's kind of it in a nut shell.

Don't be discouraged by all those who will tell you to just get a couple of portable inverter/generators if you really want an on-board unit. We used portable gennies for many years and they served there purpose but we've always dreamed of a seamless system that I didn't have to get out to connect or start, etc. It is everything we hoped for but clearly more expensive than portable units. For me I spent $3,500 for the generator, then a few hundred more for ancillary equipment and supplies. Is it more expensive than portable units? Without a doubt. But we have been super happy with our decision for the last 4 years.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Home made generator box:

Wiring the automatic transfer switch:

Start switch (doing it over I would spring for the digital model because, believe it or not, the sound of the counter flipping over can drive me nuts):

I after everything was installed I took the whole trailer to my muffler shop/welder who fabricated my exhaust, complete with a nice chrome tip!:
    Just curious how much does that generator weigh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast