User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sgrol60 View Post
    No, I do all my own work. I'm sure it is under warranty just don't want to go thu all the BS of getting it fixed by dealer. From what I have read online it is a common problem. Fix is new carb. I have had a hard time buying that but after taking the carb apart and cleaning four times I'm starting to believe it. I will do a couple more cleanings and then purchase a new one or take to dealer if I can't get it running right. BTW, I have done the monthly exercise of the genny per the book and use stabilizer in my fuel. Reason I am confident that it is the carb is that it purrs like a kitten until it warms up and choke is open. When it starts surging I can close down the choke to smooth it out.
    Sounds like you have an air/vacuum leak causing the gen set to run lean. Spray carb cleaner around all gasket mating surfaces while it is running and listen for a change in speed, probably an easy fix.
    2023 GMC 3500HD CCLB DRW Duramax L5P, Banks Derringer/Idash/CAI 60 gallon fuel transfer tank
    2018 Solitude 310GK with Kodiak disc brakes 4000 lb Dexter springs, frame stiffeners
    RETIRED Maint Supervisor, Certified Welder, ASE Master Tech, Owner tire shop

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New carb was the simple fix. Runs like a sewing machine now.
    Steve
    2017 F350 6.7 Lariat DRW
    2017 Momentum 388M
    North of Houston

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Install The Generator

Quote Originally Posted by Joetar View Post
    Hi fellow forum users. I have a 2017 Solitude 310GK which I purchased new last year and am thinking about installing a generator. Am not sure what kind to install or what size, etc., but have a friend who wants to sell his Onan 5500 and am wondering if that will work in my RV. I'm really a newbie to RVing and don't have a lot of mechanical knowledge so am wondering if anyone out there can give me some assistance or suggestions regarding proper generator installs. Not sure if I should go with the used generator, or with a new one installed by my dealer. Thanks for any help you can give me. JT
    I've been using an Onan/Cumins 5500 LP generator and it is definitely worth it. External generators big enough to provide 50 amps are very noisy and all others are just too small to be of value. All generators are noisy but the Onan installed in the front bay is relatively quiet compared to external generators. The real benefit is that you can run almost everything in your RV when the shore power goes out. Yes, there's some extra weight but in the overall scheme of things, the weight is insignificant. Also, these generators are very efficient. No need to increase the size of your propane tanks. Maybe carry an extra tank in case you need power for an extended period.

The nice thing about the generator is if you dry camp you can still have power.

I've had both the external generator and the internal, I would NEVER go back to an external generator unless I had no other option.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Onan has recently or will soon come out with inverter generators. I have a regular 5500 and it is nice but given the choice, I would go with inverter every time.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
    Steve
    2017 F350 6.7 Lariat DRW
    2017 Momentum 388M
    North of Houston

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345