Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First Tire Blowout

Well, we had our first tire blowout yesterday. Hopefully the last. We were lucky on our previous trailer and went about 10K miles on China bombs. We changed those 15" D rated trailer tires to 16" E rated truck tires -- specifically the B/F Goodrich Commercial T/A 225/75 16R LT all season tire. What a difference -- hardly ever had to add any air, no problems except for the nail we picked up on the edge near the sidewall last summer (old trailer) and fortunately saw that on a check before starting out on a trip. Our dealer seemed really befuddled at our request to change the Reflection 303RLS to 16" wheels and comparable tires - not sure where to get them, etc., etc. So, when we traded in, we swapped our tires from 2010 that had about 25K miles onto the new Reflection, and left the new China tires on our trade in. My plans were to replace with new tires next spring.

Yesterday we stopped for fuel, did the usual walk around, then continued on our route, driving between 45 and 62, mostly around 58. About 30 minutes later - blam it blew. I was pulling up a slight hill and slowing for the upcoming 45mph zone. My husband said, we just blew a tire. We were SO lucky, we were in sight of a volunteer fire department. As soon as we pulled into their lot, a woman came out and offered to call for help, but we said we could change to the spare. Then one of the volunteer fireman came out, and offered to help. They were so great -- let us use their floor jack, compressed air for the spare, and a couple of bottles of cold water and a place to wash hands.

We still have no idea why the tire went, assume we picked up a nail or a slash or something. Oh well, getting a new set sooner rather than later. My husband checked the tread depth and they have been wearing evenly (we have about 5K miles on the Reflection). He also said he knew that working in a tire store when he was in high school would come in handy later in life.

We are going to the dealer the end of next week to get repairs -- at least a new fender and whatever else they find.

Who doesn't think camping is an adventure?

Kay

Kay & Dave - Virginia Beach, VA
    Golden Retriever Molly - Been swimming in 28 states
    2019 Solitude 310GK
    2019 GMC Denali CC/LB SRW
    Previous rig: 2014 Reflection 303RLS #314 and 2008 Silverado 2500 D/A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check for tire recalls before pitching the blown tire! I had one blow and there was a recall. Michelin picked up the tab.
    Chris and Debbie
    St. Charles County, MO
    2007 Dodge Ram Cummins DRW
    2015 369RL Solitude

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bummer on the blowout. This was on old tires from your previous trailer not new tires from the factory , right.
    We'll be watching ours while on any extended trips.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2hams, as I understand it, is that automotive / light truck tires can not stand the stress that a trailer can inflict. Side walls can fail and tread seperation is common. I would definatley go with a E rated trailer tires and nothing else.
    Last edited by Flat top; 05-22-2014 at 11:09 PM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat top View Post
    2hams, as I understand it, is that automotive / light truck tires can not stand the stress that a trailer can inflict. Side walls can fail and tread seperation is common. I would definatley go with a E rated trailer tires and nothing else.
    Sorry to be so blunt, but that statement is wrong. It is not just the tires but the axles and bearings that take the hit and only then when turning sharply. Look at your tires when you are backing and turning sharply, makes you wonder how that thing moved at all. With ST tires, they will flex so much that you may think they are coming off the rim. LT tires don't flex as much, hence the axles and bearings take most of the load. I had my last trailer for 10 years with LT 16in tires on it and never had a problem that I did not cause. It was hot, 104F outside temp, I was traveling fast, too fast, and the tires were 6 years old. Blew one, no damage but lost time, put new LT's all around again and traded the trailer in after 4 years. Put over 40K miles on original tires and 20K on replacements. LT tires work just fine on trailers, they were used on them long before ST tires were manufactured. What you have to watch for is the load capacity of the tires. I would say 2hams tire blew due to either road debris, or previous damage from hitting pothole or curb. 25K on tires is not that much but age is. What was manufacture date, they state put them on in 2010, that is already 4 year old tires. The age of my previous trailer tires was one reason I did not swap them over to my new Reflection. I will roll the dice and gamble on the ST tires that came on it, but am looking at the prices of new 16in rims and tires to replace them eventually. Decisions decisions.
    Don & Judy
    Charlotte - SPCA Special

2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 F350 Dually CC LB 6.7L

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although the Commercial T/As had a recall, it was not for our size tires. They did seem to exhibit the characteristics of the recall problem. Bummer. It was about 85 degrees out and we had been traveling about 55 and were slowing to 45. Manufacture date was 1510 (Apr/May 2010).

We're thinking road debris or pothole.

Fender is toast. Straps above wheel and at front twisted. Hopefully not too much else.

Kay

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kay,

Blowouts are tough on your trailer, luck was with me, mine blew on the inside of the tire, nothing there but open area. I was doing about 75 at the time, in 104F weather, really pushing it on old tires in the heat of summer. It actually happened on I-64 just outside of Richmond heading westbound. After changing tire, I traveled no more than 60MPH and completed my 3000 mile trip. Back home replaced remaining tires. While traveling, I did get a new one to replace the blowout, but never put it on, it became my spare. My guess on your tire was hitting too many potholes in its lifetime or picked up something.
    Don & Judy
    Charlotte - SPCA Special

2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 F350 Dually CC LB 6.7L

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    On my 2007 Keystone FW, I had ST tires installed from the factory. When I traded it in for the Reflection, I'd gone through four sets of tires due to premature failures and blow outs. In fact, when the Keystone was delivered, we had to change out all five tires before our first trip because they already had belt separation issues. All of them were covered under warranty, and thankfully, I didn't have any damage to the rig. With the Reflection, I've added a TST TPMS so I can monitor the tires. I'll try these Westlake tires for a while, but if I have one issue with premature failure due to tire defects, I'm converting to LT tires.

One other thing about ST tires that I don't like is the limitation of 65mph. On wide open interstates, I like to pull at about 67-68mph. You can't do that with an ST tire safely. You can with a light truck tire.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim - Agree with you. Sure sounds like your 07 was a real lemon, based on your other posts. We had "China bombs" (also known as Mission bombs) on our 08 Keystone. We were just lucky to get 10K miles on those with no problems. After lots of reading on the other forum, we decided to go with the LT tires. Like you, one of our big decision points was the max speed limitation. Even if you drive at 62 or 63, you occasionally speed up to pass. Other than the blow out, and the smash between the truck and the underside of the nose, the trip to Dayton Hamvention was great.

BTW, just updated our spreadsheet. We have 3909 miles on the Reflection, and 60 nights.

Kay & Dave - Virginia Beach, VA
    Golden Retriever Molly - Been swimming in 28 states
    2019 Solitude 310GK
    2019 GMC Denali CC/LB SRW
    Previous rig: 2014 Reflection 303RLS #314 and 2008 Silverado 2500 D/A