User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slide Topper Question

Hi , my wife and I are new owners of a 2014 Reflection 337RLS and a 2013 Ram 3500 quad cab . Non- dually with the Cummins diesel. Trailer pulls great and the Dodge is a fantastic tow vehicle...love the Exhaust Brake option !

Anyway we have only had the trailer about 3 weeks and so far love it with only some minor defects so far. bathroom door was off the track so I fixed that our first night and I have had about 10-12 screws come out of the corner trim piece on the kitchen and dining slides....Some of these screws actually broke leaving part of the screw still inside the hole.....Dealer has assured me that this is not serious and will order new screws and send them over to me .BTW we live about 4 hours from our dealer so it's a bit of hassle to take the trailer to them....unless of course things get worse. Has anyone else noticed any screws missing or breaking off the slide trims. You can only see these when the slide is extended out and I didn't notice it during our delivery walk thru ??

I want to install some Dometic Slide Toppers but have a few questions.

1. Above each slide there is drip rail with gutter spouts and these rails look like they also will work as an Awning rail , is this correct ?

2. There is very little space ( 1 1/2 inches ) between the vertical awning rail to the left of the entrance door and the frame of the dining room slide . From videos and pictures that I have viewed online it looks like 1-2 inches will not be enough clearance. Are there any special brackets or modifications that have to be done to install a slide topper in this location.

There is a Jayco Dealership very close that I can order the parts from however I wanted to ask some other owners first to make sure I get the right parts...any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks
    Dave P
    Vancouver Island BC

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The gutter rails above the slides will work for the welt for the slide awning. You will have to take off the extended gutters to get the fabric in.

What we do on the door side, is go one size smaller awning than the Dometic fit guide suggests for that side slide. You then just slide the bracket further back in its mount, to clear the power awning hardware.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum Dave!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fantastic ...thanks for the info...
    Dave

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Steve....look forward to learning more about our new purchase, we are new to 5 th wheel trailering
    Cheers
    Dave

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum Dave! and congratulations on the purchase of your new Reflection
    We are also 5th wheeling newbies....so far so good. 5th wheelers pull easier than the TT, but parking and backing up is "fun" sometimes I'm sure you'll do great!
    Renee & Bill -- Central Louisiana
    2014 Solitude 305RE #404
    2007 F250

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the note Renee....we are looking forward to lots of "fun" times
    cheers
    dave

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Installed Dometic slide-Toppers on my Solitude exactly like you want to do

Hi Dave!

I had my local RV Service Center install a Dometic Slide topper over the slide-out next to the awning just like you want to do. The topper is slightly narrow, about 2-3 inches on either side but the hardware is aligned with the slide-out so it does not interfere with the awning and the topper still keeps the crap off the slide. I'm not sure what the different lengths are between my Solitude 369RL and your reflection, but I am sure you can find the size that will work for you. There are 2 parts; 1 for the topper and 1 for the hardware which is more compact than the brackets installed at the GD factory. The part numbers tat worked for me are:
    • Dometic Slide Topper Part # 9801fJ.162U
    • Dometic Slide Topper Part # 9800018.401

The shop installed the toppers just below the gutters so I imagine thatch blocking was there for the topper. You can see the pictures I posted in a previous post or even in my signature. You can access my post on March 15, 2014 titled "Added Slide-out topper to door side slide-out" from: Forum/Solitude/Exterior - " or from my name in the directory. Or contact me for more info.

Grand Design RV's warranty support is truly impressive. Call GD regarding your warranty issues with screws and such and ask for help. They are completely customer orientated and will help you out either by sending you parts for you to install yourself or by authorizing you to have the work done at another RV repair facility or even a mobile RV mechanic. I am in the same situation as you. Its a 7 hour drive to the selling dealer so GD has approved the warranty work at nearby RV repair facility.

1 screw fell out all from under the upper deck. it was rusted completly through. GD is looking into that.

Question for you. what exactly went wrong with your bathroom door? I'm assuming you have a pocket door like I do and I had trouble with mine too.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your new trailer!
    Aaron & Donna
    2014 Solitude 369RLS #1067
    2010 Dodge RAM 3500 SLT Mega-Cab 4x4 SRW 6.7L Cummins Diesel
    AMP Power Step Running Boards, Bed Step, & Bed Step2; Garmin RV760 GPS & EEZRV TPMS; Truck Covers USA Roll Cover
    Firestone Rear Air Suspension System, on-board compressor with 5 Gallon tank and Air port; Hijacker 16K Ultra Slider 5th Wheel Hitch, Dee Zee Truck Tailgate Assist; DU-HA Humpstor Truck Bed Storage Box; Voyager Rear Back Up Camera System
    YAKUPS® Vertical Kayak Rack and Custom Lippert 2" Receiver; Sailun S637ST tires; WeBoost Cell Phone Booster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Aaron, Thank you for your great information much appreciated. I mounted the bedroom topper myself and all went well, will do the remaining slide outs this month sometime. I was able to get some good information from a local Jayco Dealer.. The Grand Design product line is now available at a couple of dealerships on Vancouver Island now so it's a bit easier to get help. The dealership that we purchased our Reflection from has been absolutley is helping me with any warranty work, perhaps I should just contact the factory direct! Took delivery May 9 and reported a damaged decal on the front cap and about 1/2 dozen missing screws from the dining room slide out....still waiting for them to set a date for repair...won't buy from them again....!!!
    Pocket door in bathroom had come off its track...easy fix....Love the Reflection. ( Grand Design) Product but so far my after purchase experience from the dealer has been pathetic....Luckly I have other options now closer to me...
    Cheers
    Dave P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad that I could help you.

Call Grand Design Direct for any warranty work. Their warranty service is absolutely the greatest. They are really sincere in wanting to have a better trailer and providing the best service. They will send you the parts directly if its something you want/can repair on your own or they will arrange for the warranty work to be done at a nearby RV service center. I know this, because I called GD for service help and they are going all out to repair my trailer. Also earlier this year, GD approved a mobile RV Tech to repair items under warranty while we were on a trip. And GD sent me the refund cheque within 10 days of submitting the invoice. And in the unlikely event, you aren't happy with the service from the warrant department, call Jerry, VP operations, for help. You can get his contact info from the PM listing on the site or contact me.
    Last edited by ACDW-Ottawa; 07-28-2014 at 08:22 PM. Reason: editorial
    Aaron & Donna
    2014 Solitude 369RLS #1067
    2010 Dodge RAM 3500 SLT Mega-Cab 4x4 SRW 6.7L Cummins Diesel
    AMP Power Step Running Boards, Bed Step, & Bed Step2; Garmin RV760 GPS & EEZRV TPMS; Truck Covers USA Roll Cover
    Firestone Rear Air Suspension System, on-board compressor with 5 Gallon tank and Air port; Hijacker 16K Ultra Slider 5th Wheel Hitch, Dee Zee Truck Tailgate Assist; DU-HA Humpstor Truck Bed Storage Box; Voyager Rear Back Up Camera System
    YAKUPS® Vertical Kayak Rack and Custom Lippert 2" Receiver; Sailun S637ST tires; WeBoost Cell Phone Booster.