User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really wish for the days of yesteryear (2005 to be exact on our old Cougar) when the water delivery "system" was about as simple as you could get. Seperate fill for the the fresh water tank and one inlet for city water. Somewhere near the water heater were three plastic tee valves for the bypass. No mixing valves or complicated one panel does it all BS. Simple design and it worked without leaks.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by minnow101 View Post
    I really wish for the days of yesteryear (2005 to be exact on our old Cougar) when the water delivery "system" was about as simple as you could get. Seperate fill for the the fresh water tank and one inlet for city water. Somewhere near the water heater were three plastic tee valves for the bypass. No mixing valves or complicated one panel does it all BS. Simple design and it worked without leaks.
    I ripped out the Nautilus and did exactly that. Overly complicated plastic garbage is no longer in my rig.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I assume everyone is saying when I pickup my new trailer on May 31 I should immediately replace all my plumbing. That sounds ridiculous to me. Even crazier than taking the tires off and buying new ones. I know things break and need repair but come on what are we paying for. Has anybody on here ever tried the Shark Bite fittings on these lines.
    Last edited by papermakermd; 05-21-2019 at 10:16 PM.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by papermakermd View Post
    I assume everyone is saying when I pickup my new trailer on May 31 I should immediately replace all my plumbing. That sounds ridiculous to me. Even crazier than taking the tires off and buying new ones. I know things break and need repair but come on what are we paying for. Has anybody on here ever tried the Shark Bite fittings on these lines.
    The general advice would be to stay away from the plumbing as messing with it tends to stress the connections. Watch it, don't mess with it.

Most people have the hose and either don't have or don't notice issues. So it isn't some guarantee you'll have problems. There are leak threads here, no doubt an item of concern, but it's not like the grease brakes. That is a good example of what a statistically significant problem will look like.

That said, if you do have problems you have a choice.

Go back to the dealer and have them swap one hose or fitting and hope no more leaks come up. If they do, back to the dealer.

Change it out for pex yourself. It's not a difficult job, even a half ****** handy man like me did it without issue. The upside is you can pat yourself on the back and know you're good. Grand design will reimburse you.

As for your question. I used a shark bite fitting on the soft hose to temporarily patch it because I had nothing else. It worked, but it isn't a long term solution because the diameters don't match and the fitting is going to really bite into the hose. Eventually you'll blow.
    Last edited by Aridon; 05-21-2019 at 11:26 PM.
    2019 Momentum 395

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Aridon but now I have to research the grease brakes that I know about.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Aridon but now I have to research the grease brakes that I know about.
    No worries they changed to Dexter axles, there is no issue anymore. 2018?I think a mid year change. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong,

Don't stress too much. Grand design stands behind their units better than most. That and the floor plan are reasons to buy. It's an RV, you're going to have to fix stuff. I had to fix stuff in my brand new houses and they don't travel down the road at 65mph.
    Last edited by Aridon; 05-22-2019 at 12:03 AM.
    2019 Momentum 395

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The earlier models had a different water panel then your new rig. Those early models were very trouble prone to leaks. Do not use sharkbite on your supply hoses. RV water supply hoses are not PEX and are a different diameter then PEX. Like Aridon said above, you’ll eventually have a burst hose if you attach a sharkbite to the RV water supply hose.
    You would be well advised however to frequently check the connections behind your Nautilus panel. Many of us installed remote water alarms in this area to detect leaks. I also shut off the water at the campground spigot when we are away from the rig to help mitigate unexpected leaks. As mine is a 2015 with the older water service panel, I have had many leaks, some were drips and a few others were full out bursts soaking the storage compartment.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well . . . not all your plumbing. Most of it is already Pex tubing. As noted above, if you don't "disturb" it, it will likely be fine for a while. It has been the experience of several on this forum that soft hose to Pex fitting connections will eventually develop drip leaks. The "burst hose" events have only happened after several years of use. If you do decide to replace the soft hose, the attached picture is about how much needs to be replaced. This is all the soft hose removed from my 2015 Reflection 303RLS. Others have discovered and removed similar amounts. As mentioned . . . Sharkbite fittings and soft hose are a combination destined to fail for sure.

On the "tire thing" . . . the majority of owners run their OE Westlake tires for at least the first two or three years without problems. Forum discussions tend to collect a bias towards those who have had problems.

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2454.jpg  
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As we all know, there is an exception to every rule. I’ll be the exception; within a day of using a sharkbite on the soft hose, I noted a big bulge on the hose at the sharkbite connection. Most certainly would of burst within hours if not caught. Also, my 27RL was/is 90% soft hose. A few of the short connections at the Kantleak are PEX, but the long runs to the fixtures are definitely the soft hose.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob's pile of hose looks about like mine did when I replaced my lines. I bought my rig used and it is out of warranty so the pain of fixing things is just maintenance and repairs at this point to me. I had all the PEX tools from my basement so it was just the fittings and piping that I needed. Minimal cost for the peace of mind and no leaks. In fact, only one of my fittings was leaking, but I just did them all while I was in there working. One thing that I did was leave a flexible line going to and from the water pump. I did swap the factory hoses for nice stainless braided faucet connection lines to to allow for flexing and provide burst protection. When I did this I found the old fittings were only hand tight. I had the same loose fittings in my old Keystone, so it is all manufactures.

My feeling is that if you aren't willing to fix things or don't know how, either be prepared to pay someone too, or you shouldn't own an RV. I enjoy projects, and work in maintenance so it doesn't bother me to have to fix things, I just had a lot up front from the previous owner not keeping up with things.
    2019 Chevy 3500 CC SRW Duramax
    2015 Reflection 323 BHS

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast