User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2017 F350 Sync 3 system issue

I have been having an issue lately with the Sync3 system on my 2017 F350. It started a while back with the GPS map doing quirky things and the bluetooth connection to our iPhone not maintaining a connection. It has progressed now to where the longer we drive the slower the system gets until finally, the GPS inop sign comes up and the moving map freezes, the phone won't connect, and if you touch an App symbol on the screen, it takes about 20-30 seconds for the screen to shift to the new App. Operation just becomes dirt slow or non-existent.

Took it in to the dealer, and after trouble-shooting for an hour or so, they announced it was the APIM module. I had done some research and expected this to be the diagnosis. Taking it in tomorrow for the new APIM install and will let everyone know how it works. Apparently, this is a very common problem throughout the Ford line equipped with this system. I'm not a mechanic and don't know what the APIM module does, but nothing on the Sync 3 screen works when it is malfunctioning.
    The Capt and the Admiral
    Joe & Marilyn
    2017 Solitude 384 GK-R
    2017 F350 DRW FX4 6.7 PS, B&W Companion
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting - let us know. Only had one issue with my 2017 F350 and my iPhone - had it plugged in via USB running Pandora on our spring trip to Myrtle Beach, and after a couple of hours it no longer would see my iPhone connected or my USB music thumb drive that is kept plugged into the 2nd USB media slot. Worked again after we stopped and shut down the truck and restarted and no issue since, but don't have it on the USB cable often.
    2022 Momentum 351M-R
    2019 Ford F450 Platinum CC 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; Truck Covers USA American Work Tonneau; B&W 25K hitch; Airlift 5000 Ultimate+ w/WirelessAir; ZRoadZ back-up lamps
    Gone: 2018 Reflection 28BH; 2017 Ford F350 Platinum CCSB 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; 2015 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB Dmax
    Gone but still in the family: 2004.5 Chev 2500HD CCSB LTZ Dmax

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Following ….. Sad. I too have a 2017 F350 DRW

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would either ask Ford (they have dedicated Sync help) or post over on the Ford Truck Enthusiasts forum. This forum is "watered down" in relation to this type of very specific question since members are spread among Ram, Ford and GM products of all years and flavors.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2017 F350 with the SYNC system, have had it over a year now, ~12,000 miles; no issues...yet. Only item with the truck thus far; I did get a recall notice related to HW securing the seat belts. I haven't had this corrected yet.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did have the Nav screen go blank a couple of times. It corrected itself after turning the truck off and restarting.
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello, I know this is an older post but was hoping that someone has experience on the fix for the issue that the original OP joesmainship posted. We recently bought a used 2017 F350 DRW King Ranch and it is driving my wife crazy that the touch screen has a looong pause and the NO GPS icon pops up even when we have good signal on our phones. We are only interested right now anyway on the trucks navigation working and the touchscreen being responsive. We don't want to go with a new APIM unless we know this is a successful option. Other options we have considered are upgrading to 3.4, replacing the APIM or trying the Sync 3.0 upgrade. Has anyone had good experience with any of these options?

Want to add that my wife has done the master reset (to remove the original owners info) + many other times to get the clock to show the correct time and get the screen and GPS to start working. Also, did the Eject+right Scan to get to the config. Nothing seems to work long term.

Not to mention that it doesn't connect automatically to the last phone connected to bluetooth! I love my truck but... can't everything be 100%?
    Last edited by Bugintn; 04-25-2023 at 09:48 PM. Reason: additional info

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugintn View Post
    Hello, I know this is an older post but was hoping that someone has experience on the fix for the issue that the original OP joesmainship posted. We recently bought a used 2017 F350 DRW King Ranch and it is driving my wife crazy that the touch screen has a looong pause and the NO GPS icon pops up even when we have good signal on our phones. We are only interested right now anyway on the trucks navigation working and the touchscreen being responsive. We don't want to go with a new APIM unless we know this is a successful option. Other options we have considered are upgrading to 3.4, replacing the APIM or trying the Sync 3.0 upgrade. Has anyone had good experience with any of these options?

Want to add that my wife has done the master reset (to remove the original owners info) + many other times to get the clock to show the correct time and get the screen and GPS to start working. Also, did the Eject+right Scan to get to the config. Nothing seems to work long term.

Not to mention that it doesn't connect automatically to the last phone connected to bluetooth! I love my truck but... can't everything be 100%?
    First thing to try is to update the software. If that doesn't fix the issue, it's off to the dealer, probably for a new head unit.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugintn View Post

I would try the USB software update before I did the APIM. Ford has had APIM issue for a while across the entire Sync3 systems. That is about a 500 dollar problem, but alot of the issues are cleared up on the latest Sync3 software, so I would do that first, and it is free and can be done at home as long as you can leave the truck on for an extended period of time to do it from USB. The direction for that upgrade on Ford's Sync 3 are actually quite accurate, so follow those specifically in my opinion prior to do anything with the dealer . Good Luck.
    2023 Momentum 397TH w/Gen3 Goosebox
    2020 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 F-450 Limited PowerStroke