User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Corrosion on frame and suspension components.

I purchased a new 2017 Solitude 375 RES, picked it up 2 weeks ago and finally got through my list of stuff up top so got around to getting underneath to inspect chassis and pull wheel off to inspect brakes for grease contamination. Of course the first wheel I pulled off was a greasefest all over the drum and pads, which I was expecting, but wasn't expecting so much rust everywhere, the frame, equa-flex shackles and springs look like they had been driven in the ocean! I understand that it was likely delivered up to Ontario during the winter months and perhaps was exposed to road salt but the paint seems to falling off everything down under. Looks like a 5 year old unit!
    Is this common? Does GD not prep the metal before painting? Is Ontario road salt just that corrosive?
    The dealer had mop and glowed the pin box, and the exposed area of frame under the front section of the trailer. Guess I should have crawled under and taken a better look but had been waiting 3 hours while they fixed all the stuff they missed on there PDI, so really just wanted to get going!
    Oh ya, when I sent the pics of the grease on the drums they weren't sure how that could be because they said they had inspected them during the PDI. Rrright!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180613_110057.jpg 
Views:	318 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	13407

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i just dont know where the dealer gets the nerve to sell a trailer like that as new. He should have restored the underside to new condition and warrantied his own work. My 2015 Reflection just got a Krown undercoating by myself but the rust was nowhere as bad as your pic, and I had winter driven it myself to Florida and back last year thru much salt. i would definitely seek restitution. If the dealer wont cooperate I'd go to Grand Design.

Good luck
    2015 F250 4x4 CC PSD
    2015 GD Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    clubsmity - See this related thread. https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...-2970RL/page3? Particularly post #27. If Layzee Acres won’t step up to make this right, you should contact Grand Design directly. Your one posted picture tells the whole story.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my book that photo is totally unacceptable. We have a 2017 369RL bought in late 2016 and it looks totally new in this area. Yours's looks like it spent storage time at the beach up to it's frame in salt water.

From the rust in the photo that is going to take some major work to remove and seal the steel components to try and stop the rust that has gotten a foot hold on the underside of your rig.
    George and Sally

2006 Ford F-550 4x4
    2017 F-450 King Ranch Dually 4X4
    2017 Grand Design Solitude 369RL, Load Range G tires added
    Three 160 Watt Solar panels up top, W/D and Dishwasher
    2006 Lance 1191 side entry truck camper, 1 slide

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn! That’s ridiculous! I’d be on the phone to GD tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 Grand Design Solitude 379fls-r

2015 F250 FX4 6.7

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    clubsmity - See this related thread. https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...-2970RL/page3? Particularly post #27 . If Layzee Acres won’t step up to make this right, you should contact Grand Design directly. Your one posted picture tells the whole story.

Rob
    Thanks Rob, I searched the forums for rust or corrosion and nothing popped up, figgered I couldn't be the only one that had this issue. I will be taking way more pic's tomorrow and looking closer at the water heater and furnace. Layzee Acres is ordering brake parts so will follow up with them on the rust problem.

Cheers

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd agree with everyone else. My 2014 delivered rig has been pulled 32000 miles by me, wintered 2 of the 4 years in Florida, and I have zero rust to date. I know it has never been pulled on salted roads, but yours looks ridiculous. If the dealer won't do anything, I'd also contact GD!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clubsmity View Post
    Thanks Rob, I searched the forums for rust or corrosion and nothing popped up, figgered I couldn't be the8 only one that had this issue. I will be taking way more pic's tomorrow and looking closer at the water heater and furnace. Layzee Acres is ordering brake parts so will follow up with them on the rust problem.

Cheers
    Search for "rust" and you'll find some posts

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it is a "new" 2017, then it likely was driven in salt to Canada, then left sit. 2019 models have been out for over 2 months, so you are potentially in a 2 year old coach already.

The components are not painted, they are powdercoated, and come pre-finished before assembly.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    If it is a "new" 2017, then it likely was driven in salt to Canada, then left sit. 2019 models have been out for over 2 months, so you are potentially in a 2 year old coach already.

The components are not painted, they are powdercoated, and come pre-finished before assembly.
    I’ve never seen powder coat rust through like that. I’d say they were painted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 Grand Design Solitude 379fls-r

2015 F250 FX4 6.7

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast