0 Thread(s)

Trying to understand circuit breaker/bus bar

Can someone explain how this works?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8C03F40E-C309-48CF-BAD1-177339154BBB.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	15.9 KB 
ID:	13423

I assume it’s a circuit breaker but I can’t figure out why it’s wired that way. All of the terminals have battery voltage. The heavy red wire on top is connected to the battery and the one below (on the other side of a breaker?) looks like it goes to the disconnect switch.

The return wire from the disconnect should be one of the black wires on the bottom right, with the other wire on that terminal maybe coming from the converter? The others wires I’m guessing include the vehicle 12v feed and power for the brakes - no idea about the other 2.

But I don’t get how it all works. Are all the bottom terminals protected by one breaker or is that 4 breakers? Why is there one black wire connected directly to the battery side with no apparent protection? Can anyone explain this setup?

Bob
    2014 Ford F-150 Ecoboost / Max Tow / HD Payload
    2018 Reflection 295RL

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those are all individual breakers. Power "in" is the top row, while everything on the bottom is protected by the circuit breaker. If I recall correctly, the black wire goes to your emergency break away switch.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So then the copper strip on the top connects the 3 left terminals to the battery? Maybe the bottom right terminal is just used as a post to connect the power center to the switched side of the disconnect?

And how are these breakers reset if they are tripped?

Bob
    2018 Reflection 295RL

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I believe they automatically reset. The copper strip is just the easy way to connect the hot side of the breakers to the power. To remove or work on it pull the negative battery terminal first, then the positive. If you have solar check where it is connected and do the same. Then you can loosen the screws on the bar side to lift the bar off of the breakers underneath. Be careful and note where all the wiring goes.

While not and electrical expert this is how I was told to do it. Someone please chime in if I am wrong.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't say for certain what the bottom right is, but the breakers automatically reset.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I figured it out. GD is using the right breaker as a terminal post to connect the wire from the disconnect switch to the wire to the power center. With the disconnect off (disconnected) and no shore power there is no voltage at that breaker, with battery voltage at the other 3. So that top right terminal could be used for switched and protected power in the front bay for something like a TPMS booster.

Bob
    2018 Reflection 295RL

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bogen2 View Post
    I think I figured it out. GD is using the right breaker as a terminal post to connect the wire from the disconnect switch to the wire to the power center. With the disconnect off (disconnected) and no shore power there is no voltage at that breaker, with battery voltage at the other 3. So that top right terminal could be used for switched and protected power in the front bay for something like a TPMS booster.

Bob
    If it is connected to the copper common bar it will be hot all the time. Check your theory with a meter
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used a meter to test all of the terminals. The copper strip only connects the 3 top left terminals, so the 4th one only has voltage when the disconnect switch is closed.

Bob
    2018 Reflection 295RL

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bob, '17 rl27 I've got power everywhere but not at my GFIC. I tested the circuit and there is continuity throughout the GFIC circuit but not from GFIC to fuse panel. There is 122v at the leads from the two GFIC fuses. All wiring at panel (neg/p /ground/neut) is tight. Is there another terminal on these grand designs? Any ideas?
    I called GD customer service...they thought a loose wire. Yep...but no idea so to where. I know it travels from the panel through the roof to the GFIC in the bathroom. Hum?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jburnes View Post
    Bob, '17 rl27 I've got power everywhere but not at my GFIC. I tested the circuit and there is continuity throughout the GFIC circuit but not from GFIC to fuse panel. There is 122v at the leads from the two GFIC fuses. All wiring at panel (neg/p /ground/neut) is tight. Is there another terminal on these grand designs? Any ideas?
    I called GD customer service...they thought a loose wire. Yep...but no idea so to where. I know it travels from the panel through the roof to the GFIC in the bathroom. Hum?
    Does this GFIC happen to be in the slide? And you have voltage at the panel? So between the panel and the slide you have an open wire?

OK do this, with the slide out look for a large bundle of wires running from the slide to the frame - it should be in a black plastic wire lume. first check for any wire damage along the run. make a mental note where it penetrates to the trailer belly. Just beyond where it penetrates under cover of the belly covering, will be a whole bunch of wire junctions, including a romex one for the 110 power to the slide. If you pull the plastic belly material (roll it back) you can get access to this wiring miracle. There should be a small brick looking junction (1.5" by 2" by 1/2" thick) for the 110. Possibly it separated. If you see an issue, be sure to kill the power before messing with it.

Hope this helps
    Keith