User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have almost the same truck and you're going to be close on pin weight. The deciding factor will be if you can juggle your toys enough and lighten the pin weight. Also, we just had quite a discussion a few days ago about the difference between GVWR and "real" payload. https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...t=hitch+weight

Something else to check on is your hitch height and bedrail clearance. The new superduty trucks are several inches taller than just a few years ago. My bed rail clearance was minimal with the fiver level so I removed a couple of axle blocks to lower the truck. It was an easy (and cheap) mod and now I have lots of clearance. https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...0+hitch+height

Rob, as usual, is right on about the CAT scale. Without some good numbers to start with you don't know what you have. I'd add that there is a CAT scale app for your phone that is kind of slick. Charges your cc and you don't even have to go inside to pick up your scale tickets unless you want to. It will email the scale tickets to you giving you an easy to carry record. In addition to weighing the truck with and without the RV, I like to weigh each axle. It will be a little more involved with three axles, but not difficult. Reweighs are only $2.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info and the links!

I was eyeballing the bedrail clearance today and it looked like 6 or 7 inches perhaps. How much do you think is safe?
    Rob and Jen
    Charlie and Danny
    2018 Momentum 349M
    2018 Ford F350 Diesel Long Bed

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I heard someone say "Never admit on a public forum that you are towing overweight".

So we weighed our rig today and we have come to decide that maybe we want to trade up for a dually after all. :-)

Thanks everybody for your help, there is a lot of learning to do with this RV stuff. This may be an expensive lesson trading in our new F350 with 5000 miles (for much less than we paid no doubt) but the peace of mind will be worth it.
    Rob and Jen
    Charlie and Danny
    2018 Momentum 349M
    2018 Ford F350 Diesel Long Bed

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think etrailer recommends 5 inches as the minimum, most will say 6 inch minimum. If you have 6-7 inches, you should be good.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once you get past the hit of the cost, you'll be a "happy camper" with the way a dually tows IMHO.
    Quote Originally Posted by robinson468 View Post
    Well I heard someone say "Never admit on a public forum that you are towing overweight".

So we weighed our rig today and we have come to decide that maybe we want to trade up for a dually after all. :-)

Thanks everybody for your help, there is a lot of learning to do with this RV stuff. This may be an expensive lesson trading in our new F350 with 5000 miles (for much less than we paid no doubt) but the peace of mind will be worth it.
    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info and the links!

I was eyeballing the bedrail clearance today and it looked like 6 or 7 inches perhaps. How much do you think is safe?
    To answer your question, the pinbox wings are what grazed my bedrail and got my attention. I had the option of reversing the adapter on my Andersen Hitch. Now, after removing the axle blocks, (from memory) I think I have close to 7 inches of clearance.

I was faced with the same hit and had to upgrade a '16 F250 to a '17 F350 and cringed at the thought. It was a long search to find the SB SRW F350 that I wanted, but I really loved the new truck. There was a hit to the pocket book, but it really wasn't as bad as I had feared. Hope you're hit isn't to bad, but towing with not enough truck is miserable.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like the layout of the 349M and is on our short list of potential future upgrades. I have an F350 SRW PSD similar to yours, but I have an extra 200# of payload capacity. Unfortunately I would be over payload capacity with me, wife, son, stuff in truck, fuel and hitch given the dry/unloaded spec pin weight before anything was put in the trailer. While I have seen others pull with Diesel SRW's... my upgrade will wait for a future DRW. As a general rule of thumb for a loaded fifth wheel, your pin weight will be in the territory of 20-25% of the GVWR. As others have mentioned - CAT scales will give you the exact weights. Once across with the truck and trailer loaded for camping, and once across with just the truck loaded.
    2022 Momentum 351M-R
    2019 Ford F450 Platinum CC 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; Truck Covers USA American Work Tonneau; B&W 25K hitch; Airlift 5000 Ultimate+ w/WirelessAir; ZRoadZ back-up lamps
    Gone: 2018 Reflection 28BH; 2017 Ford F350 Platinum CCSB 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; 2015 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB Dmax
    Gone but still in the family: 2004.5 Chev 2500HD CCSB LTZ Dmax

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi robinson468 (or any 349M owner out there),

We are considering purchasing a 349M as well (2019 model). We have a 2018 F350 DRW so pin weight is not an issue for us. However I've been concerned about the CCC of the 349M. We will also have a Rzr like yours. The 349M we're looking at indicates 3,066 for cargo on the yellow sticker. But I don't trust it - not a Grand Design thing, just any trailer in general. What did your trailer weights end up being? Do you have 3 A/C's or two? Generator?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by holladay; 10-14-2018 at 01:17 PM.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...So we weighed our rig today and we have come to decide that maybe we want to trade up for a dually after all....the peace of mind will be worth it.
    Very smart move. I think the majority of tow vehicles on the road are overloaded. I also think the majority of those owners aren't aware they are overloaded. But, once you know you're overweight, the smart move is to get the proper tool for the job. It's safer and it will definitely let you sleep better at night.

We recently replaced our Reflection with a heavier Solitude. I tried to figure out a way to keep our 1 ton SRW truck. I could have stayed just barely within the weight limits by adjusting how I loaded the RV but at the end of the day I knew what I needed to do. So, we sold the SRW and bought a DRW. I now have absolutely no concerns at all about towing our new Solitude. Plus, we can now bring things with us that we would otherwise have left at home over concerns about overloading the RV/truck.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How was your axle weight with the Rzr in it? I also have a 2017 349M. I load my little rzr in backwards to keep from having the bucking effect.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12