Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I think the AC is no good now

Earlier I posted that the fan would not shut off, even when in auto mode. Now, we're getting very little cooling, if any. The outside temperature is 106 F, and the inside temp is 92 F. This is with all the windows, vents, and curtains closed. We also have dual pane windows. It is an Atwood Air Command A/C unit. So far, I'm not impressed. To make matters worse, we're hitting the road for our summer trip, and don't have time to put it back in the shop. I guess we'll have to live without AC until we can stop somewhere long enough to get it fixed.

It appears the compressor is cycling on for about 90 seconds, and the vent temperature will get down to about 60 F. Then, the compressor cycles off for three minutes and the vent temp goes up to 85 F. When the fan is in auto mode, it switches to high when the compressor is on, and low when it is off. It never shuts off.

Has anyone else experienced this?
    I'll give customer service a call tomorrow to see if they have any suggestions.

Jim

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim - I don't know about the vent temps but mine is doing the same thing. I am also calling tomorrow to see where I should get it fixed.
    Jim and Cecille
    Sumner, MI
    2019 Solitude S-Class 2930RL #1098
    Used to be 2014 Reflection 337RLS #277
    2015 Chevy 2500HD Duramax 6.5' Box

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I talked to Atwood about the fan not turning off. They said that is the way it is designed. Also told me to push and hold the sleep button to show the room temp. They said there should be a good 20 to 25 degree difference from outside to inside temp. Don
    2014 Reflection 303//2013 Ram 2500 turbo diesel Spring, TEXAS

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks Don. I've been experimenting a little more. I push the sleep button, and it will show a temperature. If I leave it pressed in after the compressor kicks on, it will display the temperature as it decends during the compressor cycle. Here's an example:

Thermostat set to 62 F. Fan on Auto. Interior temperature 93 degrees as measured on a thermometer. Outside temp 105.
    Compressor off, push sleep mode, temp displayed is 90 degrees.
    Compressor kicks on, leaving sleep mode pushed in, the temperature rapidly drops for 90 seconds. Starts at 90, and drops to 62 degrees. Compressor kicks off again, and displayed temperature rises back to 90 degrees. This takes about three minutes.

If I didn't know better, the unit has it's sensor mounted in a duct instead of the room. I'll call JD tomorrow and discuss it with him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim, sorry to read about your unit not cooling properly. Good thought on location of sensor. Will be interesting to see what customer service says tomorrow. I did clean my filter and it helped the cooling temp in my unit. It's not the easiest to clean but Atwood recommends cleaning the filter every 2weeks or as needed and with my 2goldens....I suspect I'll be cleaning the filter fairly often.
    Bbirds14
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Zeus and Barnaby, Golden Retrievers
    F250 Lariat, SWB, 6.7L Diesel, 4x4 (Kodi)
    2014 Reflection 337RLS #494

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got off the phone with JD of customer service. He had me look for the baffle divider between the plentums. It is supposed to be straight up and down and sealed along the edges. Mine was at about a 45 degree angle towards the front of the unit instead of straight up and down so the air was mixing-sensing everything was cool and shutting off. I have had it on for about a half an hour now and am making water outside with cooling going on inside the trailer. Still need to seal the edges and make sure the baffle is straight up and down but an easy fix without having to go back to the dealer. Thanks JD and Grand Design.
    Jim and Cecille
    Sumner, MI

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where is this baffle divider located? xs2 on the filter. Don

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don - you have to take the cover off on the inside of the unit. Mine is the Atwood Air Commander. There are 6 screw plugs to take out - (there are mini cutouts to insert a small blade screwdriver and pry out), undo the six Phillips screws, take the cover down and look in either of the plentum openings. The baffle is a polystyrene (sp) board like device with foam edges and it divides the two plentums. I'd say it is about four to five inches tall and 10 to 12 inches long.
    Jim and Cecille
    Sumner, MI

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK thanks a bunch. Don

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    How funny. Right after you got off the phone with JD, I called him. I told him we were conspiring to break our A/C. Anyway, I pulled my cover off and found that the baffle was tilted over also. After talking to JD, the readings I saw made sense. The temperature probe is on the intake side of the A/C. When the baffle tilted over, it was allowing cold air to go back into the return side. So the A/C would think that it had cooled down the rig and shut off. Mine would run for 90 seconds, then shut off for several minutes, which would not allow the compressor to run long enough to cool off the fifth wheel.

I really appreciate the support of GD on this one. It saved me from having to take the rig to the dealer or an Atwood repair facility. Now I won't have to delay our trip or have to live with these 100+ temperatures while trying to sleep.

I'm attaching a couple of pictures of the baffle before and after in case anyone encounters this problem again they will know that it's a fairly simple fix. Sorry that the focus on the pics isn't the best.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Baffle.jpg 
Views:	606 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	594

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Baffle Tape.jpg 
Views:	565 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	595

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast