User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wickerpete, I am wanting to do the same with my dinette light. I have purchase the switch (very similar to yours).Could you please explain how you attached the ground wire to the frame.
    Kirk
    Kirk & Melissa
    2016 Reflection 303RLS #4989
    2012 Ram 2500 Crew Cab Diesel
    Fort Worth, TX

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Gary.

Gary here too. The switch you are installing is the same one that i installed. It was a year ago that i installed it and I have since sold the unit so i'm going to go on memory but i'll tell you what i remember. No guarantees. :-)
    If anything doesn't sound or look right message me back.

BEST TO DISCONNECT THE BATTERY!

First, of course, you'll need to remove the old switch and enlarge the opening in the wall to accommodate the new switch
    But before you cut the new hole, with the old switch out, put your finger in the hole and feel for an aluminum stud that should be very close to the opening but i don't remember which side.
    You can enlarge the hole in the wall to be closer to the stud to make it easier to drill a small hole in the stud and secure the white wire from the new switch to the stud with a screw to ground the switch. It has to be grounded.
    I believe there are two red wires on the old switch and in the wall. cut the old switch wires close to the old switch so you'll have plenty of wire to work with left in the wall.
    strip the wires in the wall where you cut them and use wire nuts or some type of connector to connect the remaining red wire on the new switch to one of the red wires in the wall and the black wire on the new switch to the other red wire in the wall.
    test to see if it works properly and if it does go ahead and mount the new switch.
    That dimmer was the best modification i did to that trailer. it really helps as that dinette light is so harsh.

Let me know how it goes.

Regards, Gary

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Gary. I will give it a try next week when we take the 5er out. The switch I bought is not as wide as yours. It is actually the same size as the original. Hopefully I will be able to find the stud.

Kirk
    Kirk & Melissa
    Fort Worth, TX

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kirk.

Looking back on this thread I see a note that I connected the black wire to ground, not white. My 5th was a 29rs. I hope your 303 has a stud close to the switch as mine did.

Gary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gary, put the new switch in this weekend and like you I think this might be one of my favorite modifications so far. Thank you for your help!

Kirk
    Kirk & Melissa
    Fort Worth, TX

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Kirk. Glad it worked out for you. Safe travels.
    Gary

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Traveldawg,

I admire your use of the 4-wire dimmer from amazon. I'm writing to request your help with the same project. I am getting different results and am going nuts trying to resolve my ignorance.

I'm trying to hook up a the same 4-wire dimmer you used, to dim the the 6 ceiling light string, in my Imagine 2600RB. I'll mount in a similar way to your method - next to the control panel switch, The control panel appears just like yours, except there are not so many switches due to the much smaller trailer. Dropping the nearest light, I found the wires Brown (12 volt +) & White(12 volt -) coming from the 6 ceiling light string and traced these to the wire bundle coming out behind the panel. The brown wire is terminated at the ceiling light switch. I also see the many joined Whites in this chase (12- a.k.a ground). Additionally, I located a Pink wire, coming from the terminal of the awning light switch (12 + volt power) jumping to the other side of the ceiling light switch verified as a power source with my Fluke meter. The switch turns the 6 lights on and off.

At my workbench, when I hook up the new LED fixture to a 12 volt loose battery, per the dimmer switch instructions, all is well. However, when I hook the Brown to 12 + OUT and any white to 12 - OUT and the Pink to 12 + IN and finally any white to 12 - IN, I get light but no dimming. The two + screw terminals are connected to the same buss internally. So, I must be using the wrong ground wire? How do I hook up the 4-wire dimmer so it will dim the 6-lights?

Chuck W.

P.S. I believed I may have had a ground issue, so for giggles, I ran a wire from the battery Neg to the dimmer.....same result.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3rd wire

How did you connect ground if only two wires visible from wall?
    Thank you.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TJApple View Post
    How did you connect ground if only two wires visible from wall?
    Thank you.
    Not sure of this question..... Who is your question directed at? What type of RV do you have and what do you want to wire?
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12