User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wiring a dimmer switch for dinette

Hello. New to the forum. I recently purchased a dimmer switch for the dinette lights in my newly purchased Grand Design Reflection 29RS from Leisure LED RV/Marine:

(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

It has three wires, red, black and white. It is the type with an on/off switch and a slide next to the on/off switch. When i pulled the existing switch out there are two wires, one hot and one that is not, that i assume is ground? I hooked the red and white from the dimmer to the hot lead and the black to the other wire. The lights will not shut off completely and are dimmer than usual and they do react somewhat to the dimmer slide. I unhooked it before I did any (more) damage. Any help you can give as to what i am doing wrong and how it should be wired would greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Gary

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gary - There are several different kinds of LED dimmers. There are 4 wire PWM (pulse width modulation) types and 2 wire variable voltage types. I’m not sure where a 3 wire one fits into this. If you use the search tool in the upper right corner on “dimmer” you will find many of these discussions.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rob. I did view the Youtube by Marty Robinson and used that rotary dimmer that he showed on my ceiling lights and it worked just fine. I went with this other one for the dinette only because it more closely matched the original switch and tried to wire it the same way with the red and white together on the 12v lead, but didn't work. Guess I may have to try the rotary style and see if that works and live with the aesthetics.
    Thanks for your help. (We used to have a Sheltie too, great dogs)

Gary

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, now see they are border collies, not shelties. Had a border collie too. Smartest dog I ever had.

Gary

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gary,
    If you can post a part number or picture of the switch it might help. But maybe this will help..... The 2 wire to your existing switch are 1) hot (12v) and 2) the wire that feeds the 12v hot wire to your lights when you turn the switch on; neither should be a ground although with a tester you might think so as you will get a ground reading on the non-hot wire since it may feed through the light fixture to the meter.

so.... assuming that one of your new switch wires should feed to light (carrying varying degrees of 12v depending on the light level you select). Another wire would be to connect to the 12v source wire currently feeding your old switch. The third wire likely wants a 12v source to power the dimmer's electronics (or maybe a ground - can't tell without know what switch you got.

Hope this helps. PM me and I'll be glad to send you my phone number if you want to discuss.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Traveldawg you were correct, the switch needed to be grounded. Once I connected the black wire to ground, the red to 12v source and white to the line to the light (I assume...) it worked just as it was intended. Thank you very much for your advice. I'll post this to the thread as well as PM you incase others have the same issue.

I'm having trouble attaching a picture of the switch but will keep trying.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8089.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	13629

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The picture appears fine and is of a size that can be easily read. Thanks for posting.

Regards,
    Kevin
    2015 Ram Laramie 3500 4x4 LB Dually Crew Cab
    6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine 5th wheel Prep
    68RFE Transmission Auto Level Rear Air Suspension 3.73 gears

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad it worked out, Gary. And thanks for the PM.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Continuing along with this thread, I'm attempting to wire in a dimmer to my dinette as well. I have the Farco 4-wire dimmer. I removed the switch from the wall, and see my red/white wire going to the switch (this should be the 12v+). Inside the wall I found the long white wire, which I'm guessing is 12v-.

Instructions say:
    1. connect white wire (IN-) from dimmer to white (neutral) on supply circuit. This should be one half of the white wire loop that is in the wall, right?
    2. connect black wire (IN+) from dimmer to black (live) wire of supply circuit. I believe this is my red/white 12v+ going to the switch, correct?
    3. connect white wire (OUT-) from dimmer to white wire of LED lamps. Again, this should be the other half of the white wire loop in the wall.
    4. connect black wire (OUT+) from dimmer to black (live) wire of LED lamps. This is the red/white 12v+ going to the LED lights, correct?

Here's my pics. Can somebody double-check my thinking before I cut wires and maybe send us to Mars? Thanks.

Name:	20180802_172930_1533245462120_resized.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	14279

Name:	20180802_172945_1533245457584_resized.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	14281

Name:	20180802_173009_1533245448367_resized.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	14280

Name:	20180802_172959_1533245452675_resized.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	14282
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS
    2020 Riverstone 39FK
    2016 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Powerstroke Lariat 2WD DRW

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Jim. I wish I could advise you on this question, but I'm afraid the only advice would be bad advice from me. my dimmer had three wires, i hooked the red and white to the wires that were on the switch and the black i grounded to the frame. I'm not sure what to say about a four wire switch but there is an impressive collective wisdom on this forum that should be able to help. Good luck.
    Gary

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast