Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    We've noticed that there is a horrid smell coming from the cabinet under the bathroom sink. I checked for leaks and could find none. Everything was dry. I examined the trap and the plumbing all the way into the basement and it was intact. When I tried to trace the vent line up to the roof, I found that the vent line is terminated with an air admittance valve instead of an exterior vent line. The air admittance valve appears to have failed and holding tank gasses are venting into the cabinet which makes the whole rig STINK! We put a lot of gray water deodorant in the tank, but the whole trailer still stinks.

I tried to remove the AAV, but it appears to be glued in place. Is this the case, or can I unthread it? If not, I'll have to cut it out and replace it which will be much more involved. We're hitting the road in the morning and getting a little nervous about ongoing problems.
    Thanks Jim for this. I've ordered a version of the Studor from Amazon myself. I will change out the bathroom and keep the old one in case the kitchen one goes bad. Right now, I'm ok, but I think there are enough complaints to warrant the $13.71 from Amazon Prime. Here's a link for others who use Amazon: Studor

Brent
    Brent & Gina
    2018 Ford F250 PSD Crew Cab
    SuperGlide 16K Hitch
    Grand Design 303 RLS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just bought two. Our kitchen island was stinking real bad on our last trip and I did not know why. I knew that the smell was coming from that vent under the sink but did not know why it was stinking. Thanks Jim for this informative thread!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently had the same problem with the stench in the bathroom and bought a new AAV from Lowe's and replaced the one under the bathroom sink ..... easy job and solved the problem. It was interesting to note that the replacement valve had instructions that very specifically said to wrap the AAV threads with teflon tape, hand tighten, and DO NOT use pipe dope when installing the AAV. The factory installed AAV had pipe dope instead of teflon tape, and the dope was very soft and didn't seem to seal well. I suspect this was the true cause of the stench. I checked the AAV under the kitchen island and it too was installed with pipe dope, albeit it had quite a bit more than in the bathroom but it too was very soft. I removed the valve, cleaned the threads, taped it with Teflon tape and reinstalled it. No problems or odors. Might be worth checking this and reinstall using Teflon tape before buying a new one.
    2015 Solitude 379FL ... Beauty
    2011 Freightliner SportChassis ... Beast
    Southeast Texas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great information. Going to Lowes to get two valves ASAP. Thanks for the post.
    Steve and Bonnie
    Appomattox, VA
    2014 Reflection 337RLS
    VIN: 573FR3624E3300391
    2013 Ram 3500 Dually

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dont you just love it when one has a problem and everyone gains from it?

I haven't experienced this but think I will go ahead and do a preemptive strike and replace the el cheapo vents with higher quality items. It does get a bit old though of folks having problems with an investment of this magnitude over nickle and dime crap that was installed to save the manufacturer a nickle or dime. Cant blame this one on LCI or Atwood! This had GD written all over it! I have no doubt that the person who sources these items went looking for the absolute cheapest ones they could find with no regard for how well it holds up past the one year mark.
    2015 Reflection 323 BHS #589
    Still working Electrical Engineer
    Rob, Maureen, Dakota, Jacob and Murphy the Lab
    JustinThyme (Just In Time) is a forum handle

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too have noticed this slight smell in the bathroom. Pulled the AAV and found no thread sealant but it was snug. Will be replacing all three just to be sure.

Thank you all for posting up problems and the cures for the rest of us. I especially enjoy the constant exercising of my wallet.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ran out to Home Depot and got two of the Studor valves. They are $23.00 ea at HD. Amazon price is much better. Installed both in my 337 in about ten minutes. Kitchen one is easy and accessible, the bath vanity one is a bit more of a challenge but not too bad. The valve has 1 1/2 threads that fit the existing vent pipe, used teflon tape to seal the threads. To get the old one off it takes a little muscle to break the pipe dope free but it will back off.
    Steve and Bonnie
    Appomattox, VA
    2014 Reflection 337RLS
    VIN: 573FR3624E3300391
    2013 Ram 3500 Dually

Traveling Piper
    JFYI I called Grand Design and was told that we should be treating the gray tank, and that it was even more important than treating the black tank. Possibly this is because the flush is only on the black- not sure why it was more important.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveling Piper View Post
    JFYI I called Grand Design and was told that we should be treating the gray tank, and that it was even more important than treating the black tank. Possibly this is because the flush is only on the black- not sure why it was more important.
    Interesting. In all my years of RV ownership I have never treated a gray tank. I don't always treat my black tank! If there's plenty of water in it there is no real reason. I treat it when we are done camping and put it away until the next trip, but on the road, I empty, flush very well, add a good 1/3 tank of fresh water and move along.

EDIT: I'm not saying I don't see any benefit to adding a deodorizing treatment to a gray tank when storing it. I just haven't ever had the need to.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveling Piper View Post
    I noticed on my one trip so far that my 303 drains significantly slower than my Cameo I had. The Cameo would "wooooosh" out while the 303 seems to trickle by comparison. That's not good for the overall system. I'm keeping my eye on it, but it certainly means adding to my older regimen. Still no chemicals, but possibly add a water softener (with the usual Dawn) after I dump to provide a traveling water-sloshing agitation. This will add to waste entering at the new location to keep stickies down. Anyway, some thoughts on it.

Brent
    Brent & Gina
    2018 Ford F250 PSD Crew Cab
    SuperGlide 16K Hitch
    Grand Design 303 RLS

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast