Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Stench under the bathroom cabinet

We've noticed that there is a horrid smell coming from the cabinet under the bathroom sink. I checked for leaks and could find none. Everything was dry. I examined the trap and the plumbing all the way into the basement and it was intact. When I tried to trace the vent line up to the roof, I found that the vent line is terminated with an air admittance valve instead of an exterior vent line. The air admittance valve appears to have failed and holding tank gasses are venting into the cabinet which makes the whole rig STINK! We put a lot of gray water deodorant in the tank, but the whole trailer still stinks.

I tried to remove the AAV, but it appears to be glued in place. Is this the case, or can I unthread it? If not, I'll have to cut it out and replace it which will be much more involved. We're hitting the road in the morning and getting a little nervous about ongoing problems.

-Edit-
    Adding Key words:
    Smell, sink, odor, valve, grey, gray
    Last edited by TucsonJim; 04-12-2018 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Added Key Words

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I was able to figure it out and fix it myself. The AAV is threaded in, but was just very tight. I purchased a new one at Lowes and replaced it. The stinky room isn't stinky anymore!

nguyenbio
    Glad you fixed it! Love hearing fellow RVers fix their own! Can you post a pic of the AAV?

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sure enough. The original is the black one on the right. The replacement is the white one on the left. There was no sealant on the threads of the original AAV. If you ever have to replace yours, make sure you put a couple of wraps of pipe (Teflon) tape on the threads for better sealing.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AAV.jpg 
Views:	811 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	604

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dumb question? Where would the AAV be located? So your saying on the GD's there's no roof vent for the gases? Thought it would be good to know in case It happens to us.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Mr. Lucky.

mine was located under the bathroom counter right behind the sink. I tried to take a picture of it, but it was too tight to get the camera in there. Many home and RV's use an AAV instead of a full vent pipe. It is used where it's difficult to route a vent out through the roof. I haven't looked, but I imagine there is one under the kitchen island also. It is acceptable use by all building codes, including the RVIA (Recreational Vehicle Industry Association). When they are working properly, they prevent odors from entering the area. Unfortunately, mine failed to seal properly, and was letting odor from the holding tank enter the bathroom under the sink. It was a simple fix, and the chances of it happening again are remote.

nguyenbio
    TJ,
    Thanks for posting the pic. It will come in handy if any of us ever go through the same thing!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the information Jim!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info. I will keep this conversation handy. Any 303 owners out there happen to know if you have a vent pipe or this setup?

mamaw11
    Jim,
    Did the water smell or taste funny, we both smell, and taste until we run the water for a while.
    Thanks so much for your information. I have one under both sinks bathroom and under the kitchen sink.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast