Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Magnetic Compartment Door holds

One of the nice features of many newer RV's are the magnetic system to hold open compartment doors. We just bought a 2014 Reflection 337RLS, and very quickly realized that only the two vertically opening doors (cargo area on passenger side, and docking station door on driver side) were equipped with these magnets. The horizontally opening door on the drivers side, paired with the docking station does not have anything to hold it. Seems like it's always windy when I open this door, and it either swings back and hits me, or swings open and slams the side of the RV. This compartment is where I store all the stuff for hook-up, and thus it needs to remain open during this process.
    Now the weird thing about these magnets! I picked up a set of these from Camping World that were a perfect match to the others on the RV, but found both magnets in the package polarized the same...in other words, when mounted, they oppose each other instead of attracting. I returned them, assumed they were defective and found that all their stock on the shelf was the same way. I then ordered a set directly from GD...these arrived and had the same problem...hmmm? I eventually figured out that you can remove a plastic cover from the back of one of the plastic housings, flip the magnet over and they will work as designed. They have been installed on the RV to hold the horizontal door and work great.
    Hope this helps someone, both the idea of installing the additional magnet and the how-to of making it work.
    Chuck and Kara
    Southern Arizona
    2014 GD Reflection 337RLS #353
    2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD- Duramax/Allison

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I called Grand Design Tue. they told me they could not sell to me because the don't have a retail licence. The gave me a number for Gary at Orangewood RV in Arizona. I ordered from him,HOW DID YOU ORDER FROM Grand Design?
    2014 Reflection 303//2013 Ram 2500 turbo diesel Spring, TEXAS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have a picture of where you installed them? I have a magnet pair, but have not installed them yet.

Thanks,
    George

Quote Originally Posted by CK2018 View Post
    One of the nice features of many newer RV's are the magnetic system to hold open compartment doors. We just bought a 2014 Reflection 337RLS, and very quickly realized that only the two vertically opening doors (cargo area on passenger side, and docking station door on driver side) were equipped with these magnets. The horizontally opening door on the drivers side, paired with the docking station does not have anything to hold it. Seems like it's always windy when I open this door, and it either swings back and hits me, or swings open and slams the side of the RV. This compartment is where I store all the stuff for hook-up, and thus it needs to remain open during this process.
    Now the weird thing about these magnets! I picked up a set of these from Camping World that were a perfect match to the others on the RV, but found both magnets in the package polarized the same...in other words, when mounted, they oppose each other instead of attracting. I returned them, assumed they were defective and found that all their stock on the shelf was the same way. I then ordered a set directly from GD...these arrived and had the same problem...hmmm? I eventually figured out that you can remove a plastic cover from the back of one of the plastic housings, flip the magnet over and they will work as designed. They have been installed on the RV to hold the horizontal door and work great.
    Hope this helps someone, both the idea of installing the additional magnet and the how-to of making it work.
    George and Connie
    Commerce City, CO
    Webpilot
    Solitude 380FL
    2014 Ram 3500 Dually
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should clarify, I actually didn't order them direct from GD, the dealership ordered them. I have some contacts at GD, and probably confused these with other issues. Also, they are available at Camping World. There is a trick to removing the back cover to flip the magnet...holler if you need help.
    Chuck and Kara
    Southern Arizona

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just joined this forum, and in fact this is my first ever forum. Tomorrow I will attempt to post a few pics for you.
    Chuck and Kara
    Southern Arizona

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CK2018 View Post
    I just joined this forum, and in fact this is my first ever forum.
    Well, welcome to the forum Chuck and Kara and you couldn't have picked a better one for your first

Steve

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Janice from customer service gave some tips on where and how to attach the magnets in an earlier post. Just a FYI - GD doesn't want you to mount to the sidewalls of the unit but to the frame of the doors. She even did a mock up picture to show where. Another example of great customer service!!
    Jim and Cecille
    Sumner, MI
    2019 Solitude S-Class 2930RL #1098
    Used to be 2014 Reflection 337RLS #277
    2015 Chevy 2500HD Duramax 6.5' Box

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Found the Post. Don't know how to copy the post from there, or to just put in a link to the post.

http://www.mygrandrv.com/for...partment+doors Post # 12

This post has a good picture and of the installation and good points about not drilling into the fiberglass, which I was going to do.

Thanks for pointing it out to us.

Thanks,
    George
    George and Connie
    Commerce City, CO
    Webpilot
    Solitude 380FL
    2014 Ram 3500 Dually
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CK 2018 Ok I need to know the trick to taking the back cover off. Just ordered a set from Campingworld today. Thanks very appreciated!

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When they arrive, check first to see if they are properly polarized. If one needs to be changed, hold one in your hand with just two fingers, holding on to one end, back side up (the side that mounts to the rig). Use a screw driver or other metal object to tap the other end, opposite of where your fingers are. You should notice the back plate starting to come up and out of the housing. Once it has come up far enough to grab and remove, simply take out the magnet inside, flip it over and re-install the cover. Your choice whether to apply glue...I didn't...with the cover on and mounted, it's not going anywhere!
    Having read the earlier post from Webpilot, I realized I did not install mine as recommended; on the metal frame. They are very solid though, don't hold any weight, and were re-enforced with adhesive caulk/sealant. Your call, and good luck. Here are a few pics of mine....Note on Pic 2 that the magnet is mounted to allow the twist latch to operate.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Magnet 1.jpg   Magnet 2.jpg   Magnet 3.jpg  
    Chuck and Kara
    Southern Arizona

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast