User Tag List

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do I need a MORryde independent suspension and disc brakes?

I'm considering getting this for my 2017 384GK and would like any/all advice you may offer.

I had the trailer weighed at a GD rally last year Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Weight Ticket.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	13754 and all came out looking pretty good. The 5er had full water tanks, and was loaded similarly to the trip I just came back from yesterday. During this trip I broke a spring Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Broken Spring.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	13756. Took me about 4 hrs to locate a spring, and install it at a rest stop. I contacted GD customer support to make sure I got the correct spring (they were awesome helping out, stayed on the phone about 20 minutes as we tried to find the right LCI numbers and cross reference them to get the correct spring).

I've read the older threads on MORryde IS and disc breaks, and everyone said they loved them. I'm just wondering if I "need" them ... hence the reason for my post.

We'll be selling our house in about 2 months and moving into the 384GK full time, though I'll still be working while I have a smaller house built. We'll be taking 3-4 day weekend trips every other week, and 2 to 3, 2 week vacations each year so the 5er will be on the road a bit. I'll plan on retiring for good in Jan 2021 (provided the house is finished) and then we'll be traveling 8-10 months a year = I'm pretty sure I'll get my money's worth if I do the upgrade.

Also, should I see about getting an 8k axle vs the 7K axle that's on the 384GK? I'm sure we'll be hauling more stuff with us once we move into the 5er so????

If you advise yes, get it done who do you recommend I go to? We live in Greenfield, IN so Elkhart IN is only a 3 hr drive north and I understand there is a good/excellent MORryde installation facility there. If that's that place, who should I ask to speak with?

Thanks again for any advice you have.

Pete
    Last edited by TucsonJim; 11-16-2018 at 09:00 AM.
    Pete & Carla Nelson
    2017 F-350, diesel, DRW, Lariat, 8' bed, Ford's TPMS, Furrion camera, Revolver X2 Tonneau Cover
    2017 Solitude 384GK, with dual pane windows, slide toppers, gen ready, heat pump.
    Added items: WiFiRanger EliteAC (external antenna), WiFiRanger GoAC (Router),
    Trailer Saver BD3 w/underbed adapter, Cheapheat system, Fantastic fan (bathroom), 50 Amp Hughes Auto Former w/surge protection, 5th wheel skirting.
    MoRryde independent suspension, 8k axle, disc breaks, Sailun S637 tires

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was going to do the MorRyde independent suspension and disc brakes upgrade. However it turns out with my electronic brake controller set at 6.5, my braking is just fine.

The independent suspension would be nice to have since I upgraded the tires to Sailun ST's and those 14 ply tires do ride rougher. I've had stuff get bounced off the counter and even stuff fly out of cabinets But I'm just not sure if the $$$ is worth it for us since we will be using the trailer mostly in the summer months.

For a full-timer who moves around a lot, I would think it may be a good investment.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2015 Solitude and will be upgrading next year. We tried last year but some health issues had us postpone until 2019. The Morryde service center in Elkhart is the place to have this done. They have 50amp service outside the facility and last I knew they would let you stay in the coach overnight in the garage but only 30amp inside.

The contact person I worked with was...

Rob Kolean
    Aftermarket Sales
    MORryde International, Inc.
    1966 Sterling Avenue
    Elkhart, Indiana 46516
    (574) 293-1581 ext. 256

Great to work with on scheduling but be prepared they may be booked out quite a ways.
    Barb, Lyle and the 3 four-legged kids
    2015 Solitude 369RL #3521
    2018 Ford F350 DRW

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The deciding factor to me was simply looking at the original suspension and comparing it to the morryde/disc brake setup. I felt that if we were going to do much travelling, I wanted to cut down on any risk factors within my control. I have not had any regrets doing the upgrade to our 305RE. We also went with the 8,000 lb. package. My feeling being too much is better than too little. The cost, around $6000.00 worked out to about 10% the original out the door price of the fiver. Along with the upgrade, they do install shock absorbers. We had it done at the factory in Elkhart. It took about a day and a half, and we did hook up in their lot.

Would I do it again ? Yes, without a doubt.
    Gordo Fuchs
    Northfield, Ohio 44067
    2015 305RE Moryde I/S, Electric/hydraulic disc brakes
    2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We need food; we don't need hamburgers or cheesecake. Everyone's circumstances are different and only you can set your priorities. You say you read the older threads on the MOR/ryde IS, so you probably read mine. We didn't just have a broken spring, we had a bent axle/spindle that was going to have to be replaced, anyway. In retrospect, the IS is one of the three best aftermarket choices we've made regarding the RV (the others were a dampened pin box and moving up to a DRW truck). The IS is so much better at isolating the coach from the shock and abuse of our deteriorating roads that I don't see how it can't but prolong the life of the RV chassis, frame, enclosure, cabinetry and contents. Add a 50% shorter stopping distance, rock-solid handling in winds up to 50 MPH, and straight tracking and we have absolutely no regrets about the upgrade. Our time in Indiana turned out to be one of the best surprises of our three years on the road, too. We went planning a three day stay and stayed two weeks exploring Amish country and riding the Rails to Trails on the bikes.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a question only you can answer. For me, I knew I wanted to improve my brakes, and in my planning I saw the IS and was sold. After all who doesn’t want a better ride? The results were beyond my expectations. The truck and trailer stop as one unit in half the distance it used to. For the ride quality...what a difference, I no longer feel the trailer going over the bumps (unless they are big). I will never own another trailer without IS/Disc Brakes.

Big Mike
    Mike and Mary Beth, Hopatcong, NJ
    2015 Momentum 385th with MorRyde Independent Suspension and Disc Brakes
    2014 Dodge Dually
    2014 Harley Ultra Limited (Big Mike's)
    2015 Indian Chieftain (Mary Beth's)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    We need food; we don't need hamburgers or cheesecake. Everyone's circumstances are different and only you can set your priorities. You say you read the older threads on the MOR/ryde IS, so you probably read mine. We didn't just have a broken spring, we had a bent axle/spindle that was going to have to be replaced, anyway. In retrospect, the IS is one of the three best aftermarket choices we've made regarding the RV (the others were a dampened pin box and moving up to a DRW truck). The IS is so much better at isolating the coach from the shock and abuse of our deteriorating roads that I don't see how it can't but prolong the life of the RV chassis, frame, enclosure, cabinetry and contents. Add a 50% shorter stopping distance, rock-solid handling in winds up to 50 MPH, and straight tracking and we have absolutely no regrets about the upgrade. Our time in Indiana turned out to be one of the best surprises of our three years on the road, too. We went planning a three day stay and stayed two weeks exploring Amish country and riding the Rails to Trails on the bikes.

Rob
    The spring hangers in the automotive and commercial truck industry are bolted to the frame. In the RV industry they weld a small piece of metal to the I-beam as spring hangers to handle the weight and turning torque applied. There in lies my desire to move to the MOR/ryde IS which is bolted to the I-beam and have cross bars for stability. Better engineered for longevity and safety.

I fear for the same experience Rob had with the springs and axles on my Solitude. 8000 lb MOR/ryde IS and disc brakes will ease my concerns about having that same experience.
    Barb, Lyle and the 3 four-legged kids
    2015 Solitude 369RL #3521
    2018 Ford F350 DRW

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all of your responses. I'll be calling the MORride International, Inc in Elkhart tomorrow (not open on the weekends) to see about setting up an appointment. My CFO read this thread and some of the others (Rob, yes I'd read your earlier threads on this subject ... very informative) and approved the expenditure of funds. I'll ask to speak with Rob Kolean (thanks Barb or Lyle) when I call.

I'll let you all know what they say and where we decide to go.

Pete
    Pete & Carla Nelson
    2017 F-350, diesel, DRW, Lariat, 8' bed, Ford's TPMS, Furrion camera, Revolver X2 Tonneau Cover
    2017 Solitude 384GK, with dual pane windows, slide toppers, gen ready, heat pump.
    Trailer Saver BD3 w/underbed adapter, Cheapheat system, Fantastic fan (bathroom), 50 Amp Hughes Auto Former w/surge protection, 5th wheel skirting.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quick update:

Just got scheduled in at MORride on 14-15 Nov. This was the 1st opening they had = they're busy, guess lots of people like what they have to offer.

I'll let you all know how it goes. We're planning on going up on the 13th. I scheduled with Brian in service and he said they start at 0600. They've got a place to park outside and would like us to have the sliders all in and ready to go at 0600. We plan on leaving after they take possession and going out for breakfast and then doing a tour of Amish country. We've got 3 dogs so we'll take them with us = much less stressful on them. They get done around 1400 and we plan on staying in the 5er that evening in their shop (all ok'd by Brian). They should finish up on the 15th.

Pete
    Pete & Carla Nelson

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by COLRetired View Post
    Quick update:

Just got scheduled in at MORride on 14-15 Nov. This was the 1st opening they had = they're busy, guess lots of people like what they have to offer.

I'll let you all know how it goes. We're planning on going up on the 13th. I scheduled with Brian in service and he said they start at 0600. They've got a place to park outside and would like us to have the sliders all in and ready to go at 0600. We plan on leaving after they take possession and going out for breakfast and then doing a tour of Amish country. We've got 3 dogs so we'll take them with us = much less stressful on them. They get done around 1400 and we plan on staying in the 5er that evening in their shop (all ok'd by Brian). They should finish up on the 15th.

Pete
    Oughtta be nice and cool by mid-November in northern Indiana...

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast