Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2028293031 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Trouble replacing Atwood Refir Heating Element 14044

Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Replacing the electric heating element on an Atwood fridge is NOT something that you need to drag your RV back to the dealer and wait weeks for. You can do this yourself with only the most basic tools. (This is actually simpler than the Kantleak repair that I documented previously).

Note that I recommend disconnecting 120V, propane and 12V power before embarking on this project. As an aside . . . I did not disconnect the 12V (how important can that be ?) and obviously shorted something while removing or installing the heating element . . . blowing the 3 amp control circuit fuse. It took me longer to figure this out and go to town for a new fuse . . . than it took me to replace the heating element.

Rob
    My 14044 Atwood heating element was definitely bad (0 resistance)....Bought at new one from rvcoolingunit.com with same dimensions as original one 15.85 diameter & same length. I removed the old element and tried to insert the new element. It went into the tube almost all the way, but would not go down the last 1 inch. Therefore, I could not put the cover back on the heater metal stack. ***I am going back to try inserting it all the way down today. I am going to polish the new heater tube and put a little lubricant on it to try to get it to insert all the way down. Do you have any suggestions??????
    Thank you, Alan & Edie

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanEdie View Post
    My 14044 Atwood heating element was definitely bad (0 resistance)....Bought at new one from rvcoolingunit.com with same dimensions as original one 15.85 diameter & same length. I removed the old element and tried to insert the new element. It went into the tube almost all the way, but would not go down the last 1 inch. Therefore, I could not put the cover back on the heater metal stack. ***I am going back to try inserting it all the way down today. I am going to polish the new heater tube and put a little lubricant on it to try to get it to insert all the way down. Do you have any suggestions??????
    Thank you, Alan & Edie
    Alan & Edie - I would start by carefully comparing the old and the new heater elements. It could be a burr or a crimp or some other minor manufacturing difference between the elements. Or, has something fallen into the element tube? Can you re-insert the original element without a problem? If not, it is something in the tube . . . if you can, there is something different about the new element.

Goodluck and let us know how you solve this.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Setting Up Camp
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Atwood refer issues chapter 350...

I thought I’d give you an update on our experience with the Atwood refer 3 amp fuse blowing issue. We took it back to our dealer again and they have been working it with the extended warranty company. #1-The circuit board & heating element can’t be replaced because the refer is no longer made and ergo parts aren’t available. #2-Dometic bought Atwood so the only option (other than to replace the fuse every month) is to replace the refer. #3-The extended warranty company is fighting this as it’s an expensive repair. I’m praying they’ll do the right thing but if they don’t, my next steps will be to contact GD for their assistance, send a letter to Trailer Life and as a last resort, sue the warranty company.

I can’t tell you how close we are to drop-kicking the 2015 GD 303RLS into the middle of next week. This has put such a sour taste in my mouth I have lost interest in rving.

Thx for listening. GD if you’re listening, I strongly encourage you to get in front of this. While it’s not your refer, you are the manufacturer of the RV and as such should use better materials in your rigs. I went back to the first post on this, 6/6/2014!!!!! Surely by now GD would have seen this is a recall situation. In almost every case the issue was with the Reflection model! How can GD turn a blind eye to what is happening? Do you realize that the only solution is to spend approx $2500 and get a new refer? Do the right thing GD. It may not be easy but it would validate what you say about your company.
    Last edited by thompson71; 12-13-2017 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Revision

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thompson71 - We feel your pain. Many of us have been through similar iterations of Atwood fridge problems. From parts replacement to replacing the entire fridge. Dometic ended production of this fridge when they bought Atwood . . . apparently for good reason.

Although dealers are claiming that parts are not available (which usually means the parts are no longer listed by their regular supplier) Dometic/Atwood says that they still have parts. See this related thread https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...hlight=McGuire I would suggest that you go around your dealer and your insurance company and talk with these guys directly.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Alan & Edie - I would start by carefully comparing the old and the new heater elements. It could be a burr or a crimp or some other minor manufacturing difference between the elements. Or, has something fallen into the element tube? Can you re-insert the original element without a problem? If not, it is something in the tube . . . if you can, there is something different about the new element.

Goodluck and let us know how you solve this.

Rob
    Hi Rob,
    Well, after carefully comparing the new heater element to the old factory one, the new heater element was about 1/4" longer. So I just used a tin snips to modify the boiler chamber cover a little to accommodate the new heater element. The Atwood Frige is now working just fine on 110 v electric power.

Thanks, Alan

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanEdie View Post
    Hi Rob,
    Well, after carefully comparing the new heater element to the old factory one, the new heater element was about 1/4" longer. So I just used a tin snips to modify the boiler chamber cover a little to accommodate the new heater element. The Atwood Frige is now working just fine on 110 v electric power.

Thanks, Alan
    Alan - Thanks for the follow-up. A good solution and info that others can use to solve similar interference with the replacement element.
    Glad you go it working . . . cold beer is an important part of the RV experience .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Setting Up Camp
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all, I wanted to update our problems with the Atwood refer. Our dealer, Windish RV in Lakewood, CO has been working with the insurance company. Today, they were successful and the insurance company agreed to replace the refer!! We are thrilled! I want to thank all of you for listening to me and offering your insights and experiences, they were much appreciated and extremely valuable. Thanks again and I wish you all a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Atwood AC not working

Quote Originally Posted by thompson71 View Post
    Hi all, I wanted to update our problems with the Atwood refer. Our dealer, Windish RV in Lakewood, CO has been working with the insurance company. Today, they were successful and the insurance company agreed to replace the refer!! We are thrilled! I want to thank all of you for listening to me and offering your insights and experiences, they were much appreciated and extremely valuable. Thanks again and I wish you all a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!
    Well after a visit to the Forum I checked my 3A fuse and sure enough one was bad. Replaced it and now everything is going ok. Thanks to the Forum.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jim, My unit is acting up, not working i replaced the thermostate and heating element, still nodda. the circut card your talking about is that the main circut control card that your heating element connects to? Your help will be appreciated. thanks mel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fuse

Quote Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
    We just picked up our Reflection 303 not long ago and our fridge failed while on electric our first trip. Same thing, wasted groceries. It's with the dealer now and was told it will be fixed this week. They had to order a part. Not sure what part it needed but will share when I learn this week.
    My 2015 303RLS blew the glass fuse 2 times in the past 2 years. If it runs on gas but not shore power it is worth the time to check and replace the glass fuse. You can buy them at any auto store.

Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2028293031 LastLast