User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dometic fridge is dead

It had been working fine for the past month. Then following my having no the place to park other than on a 7 degree slope for a few hours, the unit stopped working.

I discovered the rv propane tank was empty.

I turned the whole thing off and when I tried to re-start it, the temp would not get below 60 degrees and the fins did not feel cold.

When I put the unit in propane mode , I can hear the propane burner burning. On electric I hear nothing..

The area over the control display feels warm to the touch.

Called Dometic this morning and the rep thinks it's a bad control board. Interestingly when I first turn on the fridge the display flashes "E0", which the manual states is a control error.

I've called a Dometic service center in Bellingham, WA. We will be storing the trailer there for 3 weeks starting Sunday. Service center won't be able to get me in until Aug 2, but they have most parts in stock.

I'll have to come back down from Vancouver across the border to move the trailer to the repair facility, but at least Bellingham isn't that far from the border.

Keeping my fingers crossed.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lexx
    Sorry you are having this trouble. I cant believe they can not get you fixed for 3 weeks , that's terrible. Might be better to go back to the cooler and ice.

Brian

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Campers View Post
    Lexx
    Sorry you are having this trouble. I cant believe they can not get you fixed for 3 weeks , that's terrible. Might be better to go back to the cooler and ice.

Brian
    I ended up calling an independent repair facility instead of a dealer simply because the independent can you get me in more quickly. The dealer maybe more than a month or two before I can get in.

We were going to store of the trailer for 3 weeks anyway we are going to be staying with our in-laws in Vancouver for that time. My biggest concern is that we have to be back on the road 3 days after I drop off the trailer to the repair facility. Worse comes to worse will have to eat out at a bunch of restaurants. Fortunately we still have the little outside fridge to keep our milk and drinks cool.

It's just disappointing that 3 month old fridge is already on the fritz.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's just disappointing that 3 month old fridge is already on the fritz.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree, ours was built last Oct. going on a week vacation next hoping for no problems.

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you moved it since having it parked on the slope?

If you did, you may have "bounced" out a blockage. They can get blockage in the cooling units if they are out of level and running.

I would move it and try the fridge again.

Had a friend with the same scenario last year. Fridge did not work one weekend, then after moving it, it has worked ever since.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post

If you did, you may have "bounced" out a blockage. They can get blockage in the cooling units if they are out of level and running.

Had a friend with the same scenario last year. Fridge did not work one weekend, then after moving it, it has worked ever since.
    Yes. We were parked only for 3 hrs and then we drove for several hours afterwards. The road was fairly bumpy.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The learning here (for those of us who tow with the fridge running) is that if you are towing long grades, or stuck in traffic or parked on a significant slope . . . turn the fridge off. Good to know.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    Yes. We were parked only for 3 hrs and then we drove for several hours afterwards. The road was fairly bumpy.
    That won't matter. The fridge needs to be off and sit for a day or two so the gasses can cool off and settle back in the reservoir.
    2018 Reflection 315RLTS
    2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post

This happened to us this past weekend. Fride did not work Friday or Saturday,woke up Sunday and fridge was working again.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our Dometic has stopped cooling, noticed when we got home from the rally. It’s the 8 cu foot model. Control panel is lit and switches between AC and propane modes but does not cool, fan runs, checked all fuses I could find. Pulled the back panel and control board cover and those fuses are good as are those in the distribution panel. I’m guessing I might need a new board. Anybody got any thoughts before I try to get a hold of dealer service in the morning?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2018 Reflection 27RL
    2017 GMC 2500

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast