User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Klenger, good call on the furniture rearrangement. A little more balance from right to left is a good idea. It looks like the TT could use a little more weight on the backside to.

Not sure what “DW” means but I’m assuming it means something to the affect of “Dear Wife” or something like that.

So, DW and I found a desk from Ikea to spread out on. Really loving the spacious table and work space. Thanks for sharing.

MD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0E488F95-0BF0-4634-9488-CCCECB4A8EA5.jpeg   AD7BA145-B314-461E-B6AF-EBF93D21311D.jpeg   9BBCBD4E-A8F6-4FAC-A0CF-2B14CC69C5EE.jpeg  
    Kevin & May - Baltimore, MD
    2018 Ford F-250 Platinum FX4 Diesel
    2019 Grand Design, Reflection 297RSTS
    2016 CVO Harley Davidson, Road Glide Ultra

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by klenger View Post
    I have a 2018 297RSTS and have always fraught with the seating space with the free standing dinette. At 6' 2", there is just not enough room for two people to sit at the table, much less for 4 people, as intended by GD. During our last camping trip, I was looking at the interior and started thinking outside the box, so to speak. I got out the tape measure and found that I might be able to swap the L.H. side dinette and rear couch positions, providing a larger dinette area. I am still working out some of the details, but thought it might be time to share what I've done so far.

First, I removed the dinette table and set it aside. Loosening the couch was simple, since it was never properly secured to the floor by GD when the unit was built. We were then able to side the couch between the island and the theater seating, and slip it into to space where the dinette was on the L.H. slide. We opened to couch to the sleeping position to verify that it was still functional as a hide-a-bed, and it was. Because the head of the hide-a-bed is now on the the raised slide, and the foot of the bed is at the lower floor level, this should help with the reverse pitch of the hide-a-bed where the head was lower than the foot of the bed. I intend to raise the couch a bit more to help this issue further.

With the rear of the living area now open, we moved the table and chairs (qty 2 for now) to the rear of the living area. The open space between the rear side cabinets is 72", which is about the same as where the dinette was on the L.H. slide, but much of the improvement comes from the open space for the chair backs over the cabinets. The additional usable space is remarkable, and I can easily get in and out of the chairs at the table and sit comfortably.

In addition to the larger seating area, we can now install a longer table. We found one on Amazon that is 55" x 24" (see pictures) which should allow 4 to sit at the sides of the table in real comfort. Furthermore, because the dinette table is now on a flat floor, a 5th person can sit at the end of the table. Viewing the TV from the L.H. side of the table is excellent. If desired, there is actually enough space for a 72" x 24 table if you needed the extra length, but it's a bit harder to find a 72" table that is less than 30" wide. If you replace GD supplied table with a longer one, you will need to rotate the table to fit flat to the rear wall to bring the slides in. Also, because the dining area floor is now vinyl, the table and chairs will need to be secured when traveling. I am still working on this part also, but may mount a 1x2 or 1x4 strip along the rear wall with tether loops in multiple locations to facilitate securing the furniture.

Another advantage to this swap is the dinette now has a terrific view out the large rear window instead of the neighbor's patio, which is a deal-breaker for some RV shoppers.

I am still in the process of adding some electrical outlets in the dining area. I added a Blue Sky 12 VDC powered dual USB charger on each of the side cabinets near the rear wall for charging portable devices. The cabinet top makes a excellent place to keep them when charging. I am also adding a hospital grade 120 VAC duplex outlet with dual smart USB charging ports to the center of the rear wall using Legrand Wiremold surface box and surface channel for the wiring from the floor to the box. I am still working on this part, so no finished pictures yet.

I will fully document this modification on my web page, but I am also attaching a few of the pictures here. I'm interested to hear any and all comments.

Attachment 13833 Attachment 13832 Attachment 13834 Attachment 13835
    That looks very interesting. I like that you noticed the reverse pitch on the fold out bed.

How is the headroom with the upper cabinets above the dinette? Any padding needed?

Very nice.
    2017 Duramax 2500HD pulling a
    2019 Reflection 297RSTS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    klenger has sold his camper and I believe is not keeping up his web site any longer.

He has not been on here for a while.

Brian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Campers View Post
    klenger has sold his camper and I believe is not keeping up his web site any longer.

He has not been on here for a while.

Brian
    Thank you for the update.
    2017 Duramax 2500HD pulling a
    2019 Reflection 297RSTS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The dinette extends well beyond the upper cabinets on the rear end of the trailer. Headroom should not be an issue.
    Kevin & May - Baltimore, MD
    2018 Ford F-250 Platinum FX4 Diesel
    2019 Grand Design, Reflection 297RSTS
    2016 CVO Harley Davidson, Road Glide Ultra

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HokieDon View Post
    That looks very interesting. I like that you noticed the reverse pitch on the fold out bed.

How is the headroom with the upper cabinets above the dinette? Any padding needed?

Very nice.
    I also did this mod. The headroom is fine, actually more than it was in the slide out, which was one benefit. I am 5’11”, and have no issues. Actually, I’m not really under the upper cabinets much when sitting, and when you stand it’s a natural movement to be outside of them. Depending on which way you turn your table, there will be limited room for the chair, but again, still more than the original position.
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Klenger -- I have the same rig and am also 6'2". What do you do now to secure the table and chairs? Assuming you bolted the table down? With the original table, how much clearance was there between the living room slide and the end of the table?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goodoz View Post
    Klenger -- I have the same rig and am also 6'2". What do you do now to secure the table and chairs? Assuming you bolted the table down? With the original table, how much clearance was there between the living room slide and the end of the table?
    Hi Goodoz,

I may be wrong, but I think Klenger moved on. To answer your question, I removed one tie down hook from the old chair location and placed it under each chair to tie the straps to. The table is screwed down again. I placed my table longwise against the window, but as I was experimenting, if done the other way there was just enough room for the slides to close. I hope that helps.
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve7 View Post
    Hi Goodoz,

I may be wrong, but I think Klenger moved on. To answer your question, I removed one tie down hook from the old chair location and placed it under each chair to tie the straps to. The table is screwed down again. I placed my table longwise against the window, but as I was experimenting, if done the other way there was just enough room for the slides to close. I hope that helps.
    Thanks, Sir!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12