User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Tow Rig

hunterhansen

New Tow Rig

After reconsidering all the weight restrictions on the 2500HD I had, realized I wasn't looking at the GRAWR correctly.....thanks to a few on here for helping me realize that. Now towing with this rig. Should be a much better experience.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails towrig.jpg  

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That's a good looking TV, it shouldn't have any problems with towing your Momentum.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2500 is identical to your 3500. These trucks are very nice, by far the quietest interior of any Diesel I have ever rode. You made a wise decision going with a dually for your Momentum, I really like my truck.
    Steve and Schlonda- Virgie, Kentucky
    2017 Momentum 328M
    Morryde 8K Independent Suspension, Disk Brakes
    2021 GMC Denali 3500 SRW
    Airlift Wireless Air
    B&W Companion Slider

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful truck...love the color. Congrats on your new Tow Rig
    Renee & Bill -- Central Louisiana
    2014 Solitude 305RE #404
    2007 F250

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can't go wrong with a RAM. I love mine and Im sure you will too!
    Enjoy and happy camping!
    Aaron & Donna
    2014 Solitude 369RLS #1067
    2010 Dodge RAM 3500 SLT Mega-Cab 4x4 SRW 6.7L Cummins Diesel
    AMP Power Step Running Boards, Bed Step, & Bed Step2; Garmin RV760 GPS & EEZRV TPMS; Truck Covers USA Roll Cover
    Firestone Rear Air Suspension System, on-board compressor with 5 Gallon tank and Air port; Hijacker 16K Ultra Slider 5th Wheel Hitch, Dee Zee Truck Tailgate Assist; DU-HA Humpstor Truck Bed Storage Box; Voyager Rear Back Up Camera System
    YAKUPSŪ Vertical Kayak Rack and Custom Lippert 2" Receiver; Sailun S637ST tires; WeBoost Cell Phone Booster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am looking to get one just like yours, except it will be Deep Ruby. Let me know how you like it and what kind of fuel mileage you are getting. Great looking truck and I know you will enjoy it. Happy Camping.
    Kamper
    Johnny & Mary
    Henderson, NC 4 Now
    2014 Solitude 369RL
    2015 Silverado 3500HD Crew Cab High Country
    24K Pullrite ISR 5th Wheel Hitch with Super Rails

:cool:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamper View Post
    I am looking to get one just like yours, except it will be Deep Ruby. Let me know how you like it and what kind of fuel mileage you are getting. Great looking truck and I know you will enjoy it. Happy Camping.
    We both love the RAM. It’s comfortable, stable, lots of power, easy to drive, lots of room in the cab, and very quiet for a diesel. I always use it at home rather than my wife’s more economical Tucson. The RAM’s power, exhaust brake, and stability makes it almost effortless to haul the Solitude and my wife has no problems towing it. The truck’s engine and exhaust brake are so efficient, that when my previous trailer brakes failed, the truck was able to bring it to a stop fairly fast.
    I average about 11mpg (increase of only 2000 RPM) when hauling my Solitude (over 15000 lbs when load up) doing anywhere from 55-70 mpg as long as the roads beds are not broken up too much. Without the trailer in tow, I get about 16 mpg (it could be more, I haven’t checked in a while). The trailer and its contents hardly get jostled around because my truck's rear air bag suspension dampens the vibrations to the trailer.
    In the West Virginia mountains where the grade was crazy steep the RAM had so much power it was no problem keeping up with traffic (65-70mph) with power to spare. The exhaust brake is amazing. Just set the cruise control and it maintains its speed up and downhill (don’t downshift otherwise the exhaust brake will slow the truck down too much).
    In 2010 the RAM had less power and options were limited. I selected 4x4 and the “68RFE 6 speed Automatic Transmission and 4:10 differential for the most power (at the time) to tow the trailer through the worst conditions and be able to haul a larger trailer. The 17" single rear wheels (SRW) have a max rear load range of 6400lbs which is just at the limit for the Solitude’s weight (I’m moving to larger wheels when I need new tires). Dually's would have given me 11,920 lbs but not as good on snow and harder to park because of the wide hips. So make sure that you check this when buying your RAM or the pin weight of the momentum. There are now larger wheels sizes available if you are going to SRWs.
    The 2013/2014 RAM 3500 diesel has significantly increased power at 800 ft-lbs (mine is 600 ft-lbs) and many more options available so check out if a RAM 3500 with a more economical differential such as the 3:73 which would give you better mileage and still enough power to tow the Momentum. Otherwise better to have the power and not need it.
    I chose the mega cab for the extra wide space for sleeping when my wife drives. Unfortunately, can only have a short bed which is a pain. Longer bed is better although the cut-outs on the Solitude's cap provides more turning room with pulling my slider hitch. Check out the RAM boxes which are great for storing tools and other stuff (not an option in 2010) as long as you won’t need the bed width when your not hauling. My wife likes the rear view camera on the trailer and I find it useful to see the “crazies” zooming up behind.
    Happy shopping!
    Aaron & Donna
    2014 Solitude 369RLS #1067
    2010 Dodge RAM 3500 SLT Mega-Cab 4x4 SRW 6.7L Cummins Diesel
    AMP Power Step Running Boards, Bed Step, & Bed Step2; Garmin RV760 GPS & EEZRV TPMS; Truck Covers USA Roll Cover
    Firestone Rear Air Suspension System, on-board compressor with 5 Gallon tank and Air port; Hijacker 16K Ultra Slider 5th Wheel Hitch, Dee Zee Truck Tailgate Assist; DU-HA Humpstor Truck Bed Storage Box; Voyager Rear Back Up Camera System
    YAKUPSŪ Vertical Kayak Rack and Custom Lippert 2" Receiver; Sailun S637ST tires; WeBoost Cell Phone Booster.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look at the new fords too. They have 440 hp and 860 ft pounds of torque. They have also had the engine brake since 2003 on all the diesels. Their bed length is 81.8 inches long compared to dodge at 76.3.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ACDW-Ottawa View Post
    You can't go wrong with a RAM. I love mine and Im sure you will too!
    Enjoy and happy camping!
    They got a chevy.
    2014 Reflection 303//2013 Ram 2500 turbo diesel Spring, TEXAS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing wrong with that. Actually they all have their own pluses and minuses, comes down to personal preference.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast