User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Check your awning screws

I am on my phone Boondocking on the beach with not a great cell signal so I didn’t want to spend hours searching to see if this was already covered... It’s a beautiful 68 degree day here in Long Beach, Washington so I’m doing a little preventive maintenance and I happened to check the little 10mm screws holding the awning to the wall and noticed half of them are stripped out. I don’t know what is holding this thing onto the wall.
    Has anyone re-drilled new holes to fix this?
    And if so, do you have any recommendations on type and size screws I should use?
    Since we live in ours full-time I have no desire to take it to a dealer and have them work on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t mean to sound flippant in this response but since it is only going into the outer wall and the screw is stripped, pull it, head to a hardware store and get a larger diameter screw the same length and silo Len the hole before inserting it. So if it is. #10x1”get a #12or #14 ...

Jim
    2017 F350 Bronze Fire XLT short bed SuperCab, SRW power stroke Diesel, 3.31 rear end, 18" AT tires
    Demco hijacker autoslide hitch
    2018 303RLS VIN#: 573FR3329J3313328. Built 4/2017. Dual AC's, freestanding table/chairs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once upon a time, there was an RV company that fastened the awning to the wall with screws. The screws pulled out and they discovered "molly" or "oscar" rivets. Then, they forgot and started using screws again . . . and the awning rail came off. Once again they discovered oscar rivets and the problem was fixed. And so on . . . this cycle repeats every few months since 2014.

See this thread and particularly post #39 of this multi-year discussion https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...ht=oscar+rivet

These rivets have wide "wings" that spread out behind the wall surface and hold really well. Production is supposed to be 3 or 4 rivets at each end of the rail with screws for the rest of the holes.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Once upon a time, there was an RV company that fastened the awning to the wall with screws. The screws pulled out and they discovered "molly" or "oscar" rivets. Then, they forgot and started using screws again . . . and the awning rail came off. Once again they discovered oscar rivets and the problem was fixed. And so on . . . this cycle repeats every few months since 2014.

See this thread and particularly post #39 of this multi-year discussion https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...ht=oscar+rivet

These rivets have wide "wings" that spread out behind the wall surface and hold really well. Production is supposed to be 3 or 4 rivets at each end of the rail with screws for the rest of the holes.

Rob
    Thanks Rob!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyBober View Post
    I don’t mean to sound flippant in this response but since it is only going into the outer wall and the screw is stripped, pull it, head to a hardware store and get a larger diameter screw the same length and silo Len the hole before inserting it. So if it is. #10x1”get a #12or #14 ...

Jim
    Thanks Jim, I was asking for advice, because I don’t know if these screws are just in the outer wall or if they went into the aluminum superstructure.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    Thanks Jim, I was asking for advice, because I don’t know if these screws are just in the outer wall or if they went into the aluminum superstructure.

Even if it by chance does go into a metal backing plate (which I doubt). It isn't thick so the exact same principal applies. Just don't go excessively longer as that may cause you other issues.
    2017 F350 Bronze Fire XLT short bed SuperCab, SRW power stroke Diesel, 3.31 rear end, 18" AT tires
    Demco hijacker autoslide hitch
    2018 303RLS VIN#: 573FR3329J3313328. Built 4/2017. Dual AC's, freestanding table/chairs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    What do you think of using construction adhesive as well? I only suggest it because I’ve seen people use that stuff to hang mirrors that weigh several hundred pounds.
    Both the awning bracket and wall are flat smooth surfaces. Seems like it would help.
    ?

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DMB - The problem with construction adhesive is that you move the weakest point further down into the lay-up of the wall. You might be able to achieve a very strong bond between the rail and the outer surface of the wall, but the wall surface is held to the luan plywood underneath by a relatively weak glue. The same concept as those who use Command Strips to hang things inside and pull the wallpaper off the luan plywood underneath.

Better to reach through the whole wall lay-up with a mechanical fastener and grab all the layers.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adding yet another item to my PDI checklist...
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This may not help, but.... I had the top awning screws pull out from my previous RV. I ended up putting through the wall bolts since larger screws didn't help and they really didn't screw into much other than fiberglass. Fortunately, where the bolts came through was inside cabinet and behind trim molding.

I think if the bolts showed on the inside I'd be inclined to try rivets.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast