User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dan, it's at least 2" and maybe 3" at each jack. So you can only imagine the amount of stress if not allowed to slip. The first time mine made a sudden big slip instead of a slow constant slip it scared the H*** out of me. Also, I hope that the Lippert engineers have fully thought out the weight stress on the front legs when fully extended.

Edit P.S. I now use "slip" pads under the fronts on pretty much any surface (except sand) so I don't have to change my shorts anymore while setting up.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have watched large 5th wheels with hydraulic landing gear set up with the tall red plastic "blocks" under their front landing gear pads. You can watch these "upside down buckets" tip outward as the landing gear is extended . . . I have always wondered about that .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCR GD View Post
    Dan, it's at least 2" and maybe 3" at each jack. So you can only imagine the amount of stress if not allowed to slip. The first time mine made a sudden big slip instead of a slow constant slip it scared the H*** out of me. Also, I hope that the Lippert engineers have fully thought out the weight stress on the front legs when fully extended.

Edit P.S. I now use "slip" pads under the fronts on pretty much any surface (except sand) so I don't have to change my shorts anymore while setting up.
    Yousers ! The good news is that usual contact with ground probably is done at about 1/2 extension and rarely goes to full extension thus lessening the stresses.
    X2 on slip pads and changing shorts.....funny !

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    I have watched large 5th wheels with hydraulic landing gear set up with the tall red plastic "blocks" under their front landing gear pads. You can watch these "upside down buckets" tip outward as the landing gear is extended . . . I have always wondered about that .

Rob
    I'm surprised the "buckets" don't have a warning not to use on angled hydraulic jacks.... or maybe they do.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Anderson red buckets. I like them because it allows me to not extend the front jacks much at all. I double up the front buckets one on top of each other. I'm going to get two more for the rear jacks.

Because the front jacks don't extend much, there is noticeably less movement up front.

It also makes setting up much faster since I don't have to drag out as much wood.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boyscout, my front jacks are like yours. Drivers side looks very "odd" with the tilt and pax side not so much. For pads I use 2 12x12x3/4 screwed together for 11/2" high with some aluminum diamond plate. Does allow jack to slip but rig moves a lot.
    Lyle & Judy and Annie the Westie
    Retired (Government employee/USMC/USAFR, Ret) & Retired (insurance industry)
    2018 F-350 CC LB DRW 4X4 6.7 (3.55)(Reese 18k "puck system")
    2018 Solitude 310GK (5500 Onan Genset)
    2020 F-150 SCSB XLT 2.7L 10 speed

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well this just got a little more interesting for me. I am back (for a week) before the next trip and decided to call Lippert. Talked to tech support who pulled up the drawing by frame number and talked to a "frame tech". They say ALL jacks, including the front landing gear should be vertical on this frame. They could not give me a tolerance, but the frame tech said that if they are tilted it will put a side load on the jacks and frame and can cause a failure (my concern also). I pointed out that all similar trailers (Solitude & Momentum) from Grand Design have this tilt. They did not have an answer.

I have a call into Grand Design (left voice mail). Hope I hear back. I will be on the road all of Aug and will report back what I hear when I can (last trip cell/internet service was non-existent).

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting. Mine are clearly designed to be at an angle cuz the mounting brackets have the angle built into them.

The front legs that have the drop and pin lower leg may be what they were thinking of and saying must be straight.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not just Grand Design either, all brands that have hydraulic self leveling have the tilted mounts in the front.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim I think you are right. My drop and pin electric jacks were very straight. The hydraulic jack bracket is welded at an angle.
    Lyle & Judy and Annie the Westie
    Retired (Government employee/USMC/USAFR, Ret) & Retired (insurance industry)
    2018 F-350 CC LB DRW 4X4 6.7 (3.55)(Reese 18k "puck system")
    2018 Solitude 310GK (5500 Onan Genset)
    2020 F-150 SCSB XLT 2.7L 10 speed

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast