User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Front jacks at angle. Problem?

2018 Solitude 310GK (build date 2/2018). Had trailer about 3-1/2 months and are on our third trip. I just noticed the front jacks are both tilted in at the top (towards each other). This is side-to-side. Front to rear they seam fairly plumb. I checked the jacks with a bubble level after setting up and verifying the trailer was level in both directions. The right (curb side jack) is 3/8" out of plumb over an 8" length (about 2-1/2 degrees). About half of this appears to be the frame tilted and the other half is the jack mount to the frame. Would have been nice if they cancelled, but they add. The left (street side) is worse, out about 1/2" over 8" (or about 3-1/2 degrees). The frame is very close to vertical. All of the tilt appears to be in the mounting pad for the jack. I have not scraped off the paint, but all of the welds in the area look OK (welds look like @*&E^#, but I do not see any cracks or signs of distortion). I suspect the frame was just built this way (as opposed to bending with use). Tomorrow (when we hook up) i will check the jacks without any load to see if that is effecting them. The tilt (top of jacks are closer together than the bottoms) causes the pads to visibly move in and out (sideways) as the trailer is jacked up and down. This is putting a lot of side stress on the jacks/mounts/frame. There is another Solitude in the same camp (I believe a 384GK, build date 12/2017) that has similar, but not as extreme issue with the front jacks. I will keep an eye on it and see if it gets worse. I am sure the dealer will just blow it off as the system works fine (for now). My question is have other Solitude or Momentum owners notice this and has it caused issues? Really my question is how hard do I push on the dealer and/or Grand Design when I contact them?

Thank you for any help, insight and wisdom you can to share.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see that tilt on a lot of trailers with self levelers. I believe its intended so as to help take movement out of the trailer when moving around inside.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Gary. I had not thought of it being more stable.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our right rear (passengers side) jack is canted at an angle toward the outside. The driver side rear jack is vertical. One of these is not right.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The front hydraulic jacks are always installed "leaning in" at the top.

It is for more stability.

Electric jacks should be straight.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoChris View Post
    ...The tilt (top of jacks are closer together than the bottoms) causes the pads to visibly move in and out (sideways) as the trailer is jacked up and down. This is putting a lot of side stress on the jacks/mounts/frame. ...
    This is why it is important to have something (or nothing) under the jack pads that will allow for this movement. The higher you go the further out the pads want to go and need to "slip."

The angle on the front jacks is normal.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2018 310GK just picked up a few days ago, haven't checked the build date.

I noticed this after bringing it home. Both front jacks lean in at top, out at bottom; the other four look close to vertical.

To my eye, the driver's side jack pad is about 1/2" further out than the passenger side jack pad. I wish @CoChris was closer to provide his precision talents at measurement but I'd guess that the driver's jack is about 1/2" further out at the bottom.

Still OK, experts?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine aren't exactly the same either. I'm sure they are within Lippert accepted tolerance as long as they are similar and not changing.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoChris View Post
    My question is have other Solitude or Momentum owners notice this and has it caused issues? Chris
    I first noticed this on a neighbors Raptor before I bought my Momentum. I talked to him about it and he didn't know why it appeared there was a cant to the legs. My Momentum appears to have a bit of a cant to the legs, I just assumed that was the way they were built.

Now the next question is: Does the cant have to do with the way the rv is setting, does it change left vs right?

I hadn't thought to pay much attention to it but when we go back into travel mode in Sep I will try to remember to pay attention.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCR GD View Post
    The higher you go the further out the pads want to go and need to "slip."

The angle on the front jacks is normal.
    Jim - I wonder how much wider the footprint becomes when the front jacks are fully extended v.s. fully retracted. I would suspect a couple inches which seems a relatively strong stress on the jacks/frame but apparently designed to take this (as well as slip as you point out to alleviate this bending stress.)

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast