Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just wonderin' How do you guys refuel?

Maybe I haven't figured it out yet but this has got me mad enough to spit nails. It seems when we are out and need to refuel we pull into the truck stops to fill up. On several occasions I have gotten the ol' 'stink eye' from the truck - tractor drivers while I dash in to prepay for fuel. I am getting more than a little tired of the looks and a comment or two about the diesel fuel island being for "professional drivers" only. If I could fit my rig out front I would be more than willing to do it. Better to do that and not risk a ride in a patrol car or a hospital visit the next time I hear some guy tell me to move my rv because I am not a professional driver.

Another thing is the major truck centers will allow pay - at - the - pump at the diesel fuel island but if I do and I use a cc they block off $200 on the card. If I use a debit card they block off $500 which can do a number on a checking account. I have to take extra time doing this dog and pony show, go in prepay and then come back out. It's not like I want to do this rv dance and at times the pumps are a long distance from the clerk station.

I don't want to have to get a 'reward card' for every dang retailer of fuel but it looks like I might have to carry 5 or 6 of those things around.

Is it true that it is illegal for rv's to use the truck-tractor diesel island at any truck stop in Indiana and Oregon?

I have a truck w/out an aux fuel tank so you can imagine how often I have to go through this.

How do you guys do it?
    Dean and Cindy
    2014 337 RLS
    Firestone Ride - Rite Airbags
    Ford F-250 6.7 Diesel

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing illegal about useing a year fuel island. To me those drivers that do comment are not being very professional. And I am in that business. Fuel where you need to, the high prepay or hold is because of fuel theft. We have to learn to deal with it.

Lost

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Dean, I use the Pilot/Flying J card and that gives me a 6 cent discount on a gallon of diesel fuel. I also have the My Pilot app on my phone and it tells me were all the Pilots and Flying J's are wherever we are traveling. I have never gotten any grief from the drivers, maybe because it doesn't take that long to put 22 gallons of fuel in my truck.

Steve

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use the apps as well as the Next Exit book. Have the pilot/flying j card and try to stop at them...have a RV island...can dump etc. We have changed our traveling method. We stop for the night sooner than we used to, un hook, go out grab fuel and a bite to eat. This rig is the easiest we have ever had to un hook and hook up! Fueling without the rig is easy and less stressful!
    John & Joanne--Fort Gratiot, MI
    Maisie the Camping Cat
    2014 Solitude 369RL #942
    2014 Ford 250 Diesel 4x4

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Dean and Cindy. Most of the Flying J truck stops have a seperate RV island by the Auto pumps so you don't have to battle the congestion at the truck pumps. The ones I have used also have pay at the pump.
    Steve and Connie Mitchell
    Lodi, California
    2020 Solitude S Class 2930RL
    2017 Ram 3500 Crew Cab SRW Cummins
    Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I use Flying J/Pilot when ever there is one available. Today, I was travelling up Hwy 395 in California, and there were no Flying J/Pilot stations around. We filled up with diesel twice at local gas stations. We didn't have any problem getting in to maneuvering around the pumps.
    If there is one thing that Ford really messed up on was putting a 28 gallon tank in an F350 SRW short bed. I'm thinking real seriously about adding an aux fuel tank.
    BTW, We stopped tonight in a little town in California called Bridgeport. It is a long way from any big city. The lowest price we found for diesel was $5.19 per gallon! Yikes. We didn't have a choice, and had to fill up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When towing, I stop were it's convenient. I do use Gas Buddy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
    Jim and Kerry
    2014 Solitude 369RL
    2016 Silverado 3500HD
    Diesel/Allison

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's another..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
    Jim and Kerry
    2014 Solitude 369RL
    2016 Silverado 3500HD
    Diesel/Allison

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't made a trip long enough yet where I have had to refuel with the camper attached. Like several others here I have the Pilot/Flying J discount card and use them when I can. Like goose I usually unhook and fill the truck prior to filling up and heading for home. I amde a could of longer trips when I had the Sandpiper and never got grief using the big rig pumps.
    David & Linda - Plainview, VA
    2008 3500HD CrewCab DRW
    2014 369RL #258
    2007 Solstice
    2008 TrailBlazer
    2016 Kia Sorento
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $5.19!!???!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

Was coming in from Colorado....$3.55 up in the pan handle of Texas.
    Dean and Cindy
    2014 337 RLS
    Firestone Ride - Rite Airbags
    Ford F-250 6.7 Diesel

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast