User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Black tank does not close all the way

My black tank does not close all the way, not sure if there is a adjustment for this ?

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you mean the dump handle does not push all the way back in?

If so try back flushing the tank. You'd be surprised at how much stuff comes out.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it appears the valve gate does not close all the way, I flush the black tank and then spray it for a long time. When I complete the dumping process the tank is empty. I then put water and chemical back in and it flushes through

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I figure toilet paper is getting caught in the valve gate. When I back flush I work the valve while the water is running and when it's off. Usually that fixes the issue.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not what you wanna hear, but @Cate&Rob has shown that on at least some GD trailers the factory ignores the Valterra specifications for routing the cables that operate these valves and that leads to performance/failure problems. If you search his username you'll find some of his posts about the problem, and things he's done to fix it.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for posting. I am having the same problem. Closes about 98%. after a 700 mile haul opening the "plug" to hook up sewer line can be a little nasty. Will search and hopefully find a fix.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1984fireball View Post
    Thank you all for posting. I am having the same problem. Closes about 98%. after a 700 mile haul opening the "plug" to hook up sewer line can be a little nasty. Will search and hopefully find a fix.
    Valterra makes a twist on valve for the end where you hook up the sewer hose. Great add on and no more surprises.
    https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-Wast...WAT3KJ9TGFTSJ5

Brian

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Campers View Post
    Valterra makes a twist on valve for the end where you hook up the sewer hose. Great add on and no more surprises.
    https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-Wast...WAT3KJ9TGFTSJ5

Brian
    The added twist valve also allows you to have that closed while opening gray water holding tank valves. It allows more gray water storage. One of the easiest and cheapest ways to do that. But, in the case of a leaking black tank valve, I don't know how that would work out.
    Gordo Fuchs
    Northfield, Ohio 44067
    2015 305RE Moryde I/S, Electric/hydraulic disc brakes
    2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the twist on valve on mine but when I open both gray tanks they do not equal out.

I think its because on my unit the kitchen gray tank is higher then the bathroom gray tank. (5th Wheel versus a travel trailer)
    Allen & Denise
    Ford F350 Lariat CC SRW SB 4x4 Diesel
    2018 Solitude 310GK R

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yobigal View Post
    I have the twist on valve on mine but when I open both gray tanks they do not equal out.

I think its because on my unit the kitchen gray tank is higher then the bathroom gray tank. (5th Wheel versus a travel trailer)
    The tanks should be at the same level , between the frame rails. You should get some equalization. I just use the twist on valve so I do not get the "surprise" when the black tank valves leaks, as they all seem to do.

Brian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast