User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DECelt View Post
    I have also read posts where exterior water was coming in or the drain tray is splashing around in transit. I don't know if either of those is really an issue ... But I also extended my drain hose out the side vent and added a small one way valve that serves to keep our little bugs and hot air. It also eliminates the algae buildup in the end of the hose from it sitting in water...
    While we're on the 2118, mine benefited greatly from adding an exhaust fan kit to the top exterior vent. About $80.00 on Amazon complete with sensor and control panel. I used the Beech Lane kit. Great product.

Hope you find the issue!
    I have a norcold 1210T in our unit. It has worked well with a couple of exceptions. At one point the unit would not work on propane and went back to the dealer. I had never in my fifty years of RVing had a frig on the slide and will never have that again. With the slide going in and out, the propane line was improperly installed at assembly and had crimped. The dealer had to remove the frig and replace/correctly install the propane line. The latest issue has been the two fans behind the frig. One of the fans failed and when that occurs, it places a surge on the electric panel in the rear and blows the 5 amp fuse to protect the panel. Once again the dealer had to remove the frig and replace the $139 dollar fan which cost just over 600 dollars in labor. Now knowing I could lose my frig when that fuse blows, I attempted to add two exhaust fans at the top side vent but between the board that covers most of the vent area and the vent cover, there is zero room between the vent cover that that board. I looked at the kit you used, but based on the fan size and thickness, it would never fit on the top side vent. These Norcold frigs require fans to work and on my model, if one of the two rear fans fails, the frig fails. I should have required a 12V frig!!!
    Terry and Elizabeth
    2020 Reflection 260RD Using Anderson Hitch
    2020 F350 SuperDuty Diesel Crew Dually Long Bed

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tylers777 View Post
    Brand new 2022 350G, 1st boondock trip and Norcold fridge stopped running on LP - will run on electric. Appeared to be an issue with left tank, switched to right tank, worked for 4hrs and now will not fire up on LP. Dealer is no help - just scheduling a service, but doesn't help me for the rest of the week without a cooler large enough for all our food.

Any ideas? and thanks,
    I had this issue with my Norcold 1210T that was on the slide. It ended up being a bind in the propane line. It would work and then not work, yet always worked on electricity. It was a 800-dollar repair by the dealer and thank goodness for the extended warranty.
    Terry and Elizabeth

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve had nothing but trouble with my Norcold. First year it leaked the refrigerant and getting help from Grand Design and Norcold was extremely difficult. Got a new cooling unit put in and after 3 days the fans quit working. It was still under warranty, but couldn’t get in in until winter. I used a small household fan to blow air up through the bottom vent. I took both vent covers off to aid circulation. I even made some plastic awnings to keep the fan dry when it rained. Worked like a charm, but absolutely ridiculous to have to resort to this “fix”.

I took the trailer in for a refrigerator warranty recall to secure a wire that might cause a fire. After they fixed that, they tested the fans and said they work fine. Very interesting. 6 months with no fans and now they work? I paid $160 for them to tell me the fans worked. Our first trip is next week. The fridge is working and the fans are running. I’m bringing my household fan as a backup. I don’t trust the refrigerator one bit.
    Mike & Linda
    303RLS
    2013 F250 Turbo Diesel Crew Cab

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
    I’ve had nothing but trouble with my Norcold. First year it leaked the refrigerant and getting help from Grand Design and Norcold was extremely difficult. Got a new cooling unit put in and after 3 days the fans quit working. It was still under warranty, but couldn’t get in in until winter. I used a small household fan to blow air up through the bottom vent. I took both vent covers off to aid circulation. I even made some plastic awnings to keep the fan dry when it rained. Worked like a charm, but absolutely ridiculous to have to resort to this “fix”.

I took the trailer in for a refrigerator warranty recall to secure a wire that might cause a fire. After they fixed that, they tested the fans and said they work fine. Very interesting. 6 months with no fans and now they work? I paid $160 for them to tell me the fans worked. Our first trip is next week. The fridge is working and the fans are running. I’m bringing my household fan as a backup. I don’t trust the refrigerator one bit.
    Now knowing that if a fan fails, it takes down the power to the frig at the same time due to a 5 amp fuse on the power board behind the frig. I could disconnect the rear fan line to get back my frig, but would not have the needed fan for it to cool properly. So, I ordered a waterproof 14' fan that I will carry with us should a fan fail again. I can then disconnect the fans behind the frig (impossible to get to without pulling out the frig), replace the 5 amp auto fuse, and attach my 14" fan to the lower outside frig vent so I can cool the rear of the frig with air blowing up. You are right, we should not have to do this but if it works until they can pull the frig again and replace fans, at the expense of the extended warranty plan, so be it. We do not want to live out of coolers like we did many years ago with tents or a pop-up. I should have required a 12V frig that does not require venting from the outside.
    Terry and Elizabeth

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by terryriddle View Post
    Now knowing that if a fan fails, it takes down the power to the frig at the same time due to a 5 amp fuse on the power board behind the frig. I could disconnect the rear fan line to get back my frig, but would not have the needed fan for it to cool properly. So, I ordered a waterproof 14' fan that I will carry with us should a fan fail again. I can then disconnect the fans behind the frig (impossible to get to without pulling out the frig), replace the 5 amp auto fuse, and attach my 14" fan to the lower outside frig vent so I can cool the rear of the frig with air blowing up. You are right, we should not have to do this but if it works until they can pull the frig again and replace fans, at the expense of the extended warranty plan, so be it. We do not want to live out of coolers like we did many years ago with tents or a pop-up. I should have required a 12V frig that does not require venting from the outside.
    We had to go out and buy coolers after our refrigerant leak. We were 100 miles from GD and under warranty (6 months since buying new). I asked if I could swing by and swap out the fridge. I was told no and told to call Norcold. Norcold told me to take it to any dealer for an “opinion”. That would be an 8 hour test to see if the unit worked or not. I told them I’d send pics of the yellow powder that came out of the back. Nope. Not good enough. I seriously doubt any dealer would take a tech off their shop floor to test my refrigerator when I didn’t buy it from them. Plus, I don’t have a day to waste while they confirmed what I knew. Very frustrating ordeal.

Can you tell me the brand water resistant fan you bought? Sounds like a better back up plan than having to construct a plastic awning over my household fan. Thanks!
    Mike & Linda
    303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
    We had to go out and buy coolers after our refrigerant leak. We were 100 miles from GD and under warranty (6 months since buying new). I asked if I could swing by and swap out the fridge. I was told no and told to call Norcold. Norcold told me to take it to any dealer for an “opinion”. That would be an 8 hour test to see if the unit worked or not. I told them I’d send pics of the yellow powder that came out of the back. Nope. Not good enough. I seriously doubt any dealer would take a tech off their shop floor to test my refrigerator when I didn’t buy it from them. Plus, I don’t have a day to waste while they confirmed what I knew. Very frustrating ordeal.

Can you tell me the brand water resistant fan you bought? Sounds like a better back up plan than having to construct a plastic awning over my household fan. Thanks!

Since it only weighs 12 lbs and is in a cage, I will figure out how to hang it on the lower outside vent cover to push air into the back of the frig, thus forcing it out the top. I will not look great but will work while in camp on shore power. Found this on Amazon.

Arriving Wednesday
    Shipped
    BILT HARD 3000 CFM 14 in. Outdoor Wall Mount Fan, 3-Speed Waterproof Wall Fan Industrial Grade High Velocity Outdoor Fans for Patio, Commercial, Garage, and Gazebo Use- UL Listed Black

It is waterproof and has a pull cord for three different speeds plus black to match the vent cover. I can plug it into the same outlet as the frig or take a short extension cord to the RV side outlet.
    Terry and Elizabeth

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by terryriddle View Post
    Since it only weighs 12 lbs and is in a cage, I will figure out how to hang it on the lower outside vent cover to push air into the back of the frig, thus forcing it out the top. I will not look great but will work while in camp on shore power. Found this on Amazon.

Arriving Wednesday
    Shipped
    BILT HARD 3000 CFM 14 in. Outdoor Wall Mount Fan, 3-Speed Waterproof Wall Fan Industrial Grade High Velocity Outdoor Fans for Patio, Commercial, Garage, and Gazebo Use- UL Listed Black

It is waterproof and has a pull cord for three different speeds plus black to match the vent cover. I can plug it into the same outlet as the frig or take a short extension cord to the RV side outlet.
    Thank you!
    Mike & Linda
    303RLS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haznavy View Post
    Hello all,

I have a water leak below our 2118SST on the left-hand side and, only the left-hand side. I have done the following to diagnose 1). Checked the drip pan for water overflowing or seeping out the bottom, no water; 2). Ensured the MacGyver seals I placed on the drip pan to prevent this are still intact, good to go; 3). Looked for water on the bottom of the fridge - no water; 4). Assured good flow out of the drip pan to the exterior of the rig, good to go 5). Looked for water below the refrigerator from the outside, no water. 6). Assured there is no water noticed below the fridge on the right from the interior, no water.

Anyone have this issue who can tell me where this water is coming from?

Attachment 46101
    Attachment 46102
    We continue to have this issue despite being level and drip pan line being clear and draining well. I have tried to visualize the area of the leak from the rear access....no joy. Does anyone know of a way to visualize the area of the leak without pulling the refer out? TIA.
    U.S. Navy Retired
    Haz, Gin, CD, and CE

2020 Ford F450 Platinum
    2022 GDRV Solitude 378MBS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is all very interesting. we just bought a new 336m Grand design and the fridge works like garbage(2118x series double door). dealer does not know what to do. had a tech out twice and still cannot get to cool, this was after the outfit sat at the dealer for a month with no results. i will check the doors but they seem to work fine. last visit the tech said it was the thermostat that controls the exterior fans. he replaced and nothing. the fans still do not come on. so, i researched a bit and the thermostat is set to turn fans on at 130f and off at 115f. well, them temp where this thermostat is never gets to that temp in my shop. now, when we bypassed the thermostat and the fans where on it seemed to be cooling very quickly...... If anyone has come up with something new i would love to hear. thx
    Last edited by Deano1; 11-23-2023 at 08:39 AM.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deano1 View Post
    This is all very interesting. we just bought a new 336m Grand design and the fridge works like garbage(2118x series double door). dealer does not know what to do. had a tech out twice and still cannot get to cool, this was after the outfit sat at the dealer for a month with no results. i will check the doors but they seem to work fine. last visit the tech said it was the thermostat that controls the exterior fans. he replaced and nothing. the fans still do not come on. so, i researched a bit and the thermostat is set to turn fans on at 130f and off at 115f. well, them temp where this thermostat is never gets to that temp in my shop. now, when we bypassed the thermostat and the fans where on it seemed to be cooling very quickly...... If anyone has come up with something new i would love to hear. thx
    "Thermostat" is not really the correct terminology to use for what actually controls the exterior fans. There is a single disc about the size of a nickel or a quarter that is located at the area by the upper heat exchanger fins. That is the device that causes the fans to come on and go off. It's more of what would be called a "clixon" thermal device and is not adjustable in any way. It's widely known that the fans need to come on sooner than 130° and if you do a google search, you can probably find one that allow the fans to come on much earlier.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456