User Tag List

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Refrigerator/freezers put out much more heat than I ever imagined. I replaced my OEM Atwood with a comparable Dometic unit after an accident. And all that heat was circulating all around the fridge--inside the cabinetry. First thing I did was to reconfigure the baffles on top of the coils to 45 degrees so the heat would go straight out the upper side vent rather than blow all over the fridge side walls, etc. So far, I'm good on hot days--able to keep ice cream in the freezer.

Note: My 8.5 cu. ft. Dometic is about an inch wider than the Atwood, and I had to cut a little insulation off the back of the fiberglass siding for the fan. No big deal.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HOWITTRO View Post
    I did the same thing and also added two more fans at the base of the refer shelf. I then added 5 fans inside on the condenser coil. Refer now stays at 34 degrees on hot days
    Details on the parts / photos of the install?
    Mike & Maggie
    Paige, Molly, Delaney & Bridget (yes, 4 daughters)
    Chocolate Lab - Seamus
    2019 312BHTS Reflection TT
    2017 F-250 Lariat SCREW Gasser 6.2L, SRW, shortbed
    14k Equal-I-Zer Hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I added 2 fans to the inside cooling fins. Mine worked great on electric but, was lacking on gas. If this doesn't resolve it I may add one on the exterior to help. This is the first camper refrigerator that I've had a cooling problem on gas. Funny one time it seems to work well and the next not so well. Hooking up the inside fans was easy and I ran the wiring thru the drain hose.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you tell me if the fans run all the time or where you able to install a temperature sensor switch
    Bob and Shirley (both recently retired)
    Ontario Canada
    2018 Solitude 310GK
    2018 Ford Diesel King Ranch F350 Short Bed
    Pull Rite Super Glide

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I upgraded original sensor to come on sooner and the kit for the two fans came with it’s own sensor.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine have a switch to turn on and off as needed. Mine works well on electric, it only struggles on gas. On electric it runs 34-36 regularly. On gas there are times it runs in the 30's and other times it will run as high as 43- 45 and that is the times I want to run the fans.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nadkaw1957 View Post
    Yes, the upper vent.
    May I ask why the upper vent, as opposed to the lower? Positive Pressure Ventilation (pushing air through) is easier and more efficient than Negative Pressure Ventilation (pulling air through). After 15 years fighting fire, PPV is much better than NPV.... But it seems like everyone puts them on the top. Just curious.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Lori_Millie View Post
    May I ask why the upper vent, as opposed to the lower? Positive Pressure Ventilation (pushing air through) is easier and more efficient than Negative Pressure Ventilation (pulling air through). After 15 years fighting fire, PPV is much better than NPV.... But it seems like everyone puts them on the top. Just curious.
    The fans are actually located between the upper and lower vents in a "chimney" type of space. It's pulling air from the lower vent, but pushing it past the upper coils (where the heat is) and out the top vent. Unfortunately, the design (especially of the vent themselves) doesn't lend itself to great airflow.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is an awesome thread. Thanks Rob, for wanting to move it to reference. It will be a while before my to do list gets short enough that I can look at this.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nadkaw1957 View Post
    The fans are actually located between the upper and lower vents in a "chimney" type of space. It's pulling air from the lower vent, but pushing it past the upper coils (where the heat is) and out the top vent. Unfortunately, the design (especially of the vent themselves) doesn't lend itself to great airflow.
    Exactly my point - in order for negative pressure ventilation to occur, there has to be a sealing of the area around the fan, meaning nothing can get by without going through the fan. Damned near impossible. In Positive Pressure, it's not required to have that sealing, thus it does not impede air flow, only improves..... Just wondering, because I've seen it both ways. I'm going to start at the bottom (I'm short ) and if I have to go to the top, I will... I bought 5 of them for $20.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast