User Tag List

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Adding cooling fans to the back of the fridge

Finally... after struggling to get the temp in my 2250's Dometic refrigerator to reach and maintain 39-40 degrees, I made some changes. I noticed that there was only one cooling fan in the back, and after googling it extensively, I found that it blew about 30 CFM across the coil. I also saw that there were holes in the crossbar to mount a second fan. So, I removed the single, inadequate fan and replaced it with two fans that blow 48 CFM each. In one upgrade, I more than tripled the airflow across the coil. I went out to look after work, and the temp was down to 35 degrees - and it's 102 degrees outside.

Last edited by Cate&Rob; 07-28-2018 at 07:04 AM.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have any pics of what you did? This sounds like an awesome mod!
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry, I don't. I can describe it for you, though. The first thing I had to do was cut out the baffle behind the upper vent so I could see and get to the original fan. I just used a utility knife - it's only 1/8" plywood. I left enough wood at each edge and the bottom so that I could screw a new piece of plywood to it to create the baffle again. I then removed the original fan from the aluminum cross brace. There are two screws holding it on. I snipped the power wires to the original fan - black = negative, red = positive. I installed the new fans onto the cross brace using the screws that came with them. They are self tapping and screw into the fan frame pretty easily. I connected the two new pairs of wires with the original wires (I used crimp connectors rather than just wire nuts). Finally, I replaced the baffle with a piece of 1/4" plywood I had in the shop. That was pretty much it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice mod. Perhaps a dumb question, but this was all done through the vent on the outside of the trailer, correct?
    2019 Momentum 381M
    2018 Denali Dually LB with B&W Companion puck hitch
    Polaris RZR XP1k and Ranger 900XP

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, the upper vent.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe this is exactly what I need. Do you have a link or ordering info for the new fans?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with CFDWheeler, sound like an awesome mod. I appreciate the explanation. If you get an opportunity to take a picture of the final product I'd sure like to see how it turned out. We've not had an issue with the frig yet, but then again haven't had it out in really hot weather so don't know how it will perform.

We'll be full time in the Solitude in about 6 weeks so I'm sure well be putting the frig through some hot days asking it to perform well. I've read where the frig in slide outs tend to run hotter so I can see myself doing this just as insurance that I won't have a problem in the future. The time and cost seem like pretty good insurance for the frig operations.

Thanks again for sharing.

Pete
    Pete & Carla Nelson
    2017 F-350, diesel, DRW, Lariat, 8' bed, Ford's TPMS, Furrion camera, Revolver X2 Tonneau Cover
    2017 Solitude 384GK, with dual pane windows, slide toppers, gen ready, heat pump.
    Added items: WiFiRanger EliteAC (external antenna), WiFiRanger GoAC (Router),
    Trailer Saver BD3 w/underbed adapter, Cheapheat system, Fantastic fan (bathroom), 50 Amp Hughes Auto Former w/surge protection, 5th wheel skirting.
    MoRryde independent suspension, 8k axle, disc breaks, Sailun S637 tires

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took a few pictures this morning...

The first thing I did was cut out the existing plywood used to create the chimney. It's not pretty, but it's functional.

Then, I removed the original fan, snipped the wires and installed the dual fans.

I could have just tied all the wires together with a couple of wire nuts, but I chose to use plug in connectors so any component could be removed separately.

Finally, I cut a piece of 1/8" plywood and screwed it to the frame I left from the original cut out to recreate the chimney.

I also noticed when I went out today, that the two fans running together were much quieter inside the trailer than the single original fan, even though they are pushing 3 times the air and spinning much faster.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is yours the Model #2118 (18 cu. ft.)? Mine is and it has 3 fans in the back. 1 at bottom and 2 up top. Mine still won't get below 46 in the fridge.
    2022 Silverado Duramax/Allison 2500 HD
    2018 Momentum 328
    2018 Polaris RZR
    2005 Polaris Sportsman 500

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast