User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Steven@147, in reading from the top I've seen a few people recommend slider hitches but I suspect that they missed the detail of your long-box truck.

I have a Pullrite 18K slider in my short-box Ford, and if I had a long box it would be gone in a second. Takes up a whole bunch of space in the truck bed, weighs hundreds of pounds, and can be finicky to hook up in locations where truck and trailer are out-of-level with each other.

I haven't used either the AUH or the B&W hitch but I've been reading a lot of good things about them. If I had a long box I'd be getting one of those. Good luck.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to keep piling on and sorry for all of those who have read/seen my posts about the AUH. I'm fan for sure. For me, it was one of the lowest cost solutions for my Ram 3500 with Ramboxes. I know that if works this well for my truck config, it would be a slamdunk for a longbox (8'). I honestly smile each time I hook and unhook my camper. I can be misaligned by a decent distance and it'll still drop on the ball with the funnel. The connection is very secure. You've got like 3,000 lbs of force on a ball connection so if you forget to push in the handle to slide the pin under the ball, you've got a good chance it still won't come unhitched. The AUH base is a decent size but in a long box you'll have a lot of room for other things (generator, fuel cans, wood etc). Some other hitches take up just as much if not more space. I know you said removal isn't too big of a concern since you'll be fulltiming. That's one of those things where it's not an issue until it's an issue. The good thing is that you don't have to take it out if you don't want too but you can remove it easily if you have to. I also personally like the locking mechanism for the AUH. I mounted the handle to the pinbox with magnets. No drilling into the pinbox or camper. Plus I can get to that handle easily. A typical hitch means you've got to reach over the bed rails to work the handle. Its not bad if you have wheel to wheel running boards but still not as easy as the AUH latch.

Just a few things to consider. And as you have found there are so many hitches out there who lay claim to having the best hitch. You're doing the right thing by reading forums like these. Good luck with your search and if you'd like any more info or pictures of my Ram with AUH feel free to ask.
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    Andersen Ultimate Hitch ISR Version
    Predator 3500W Inverter Generator
    2017 Ram 3500 Mega cab SRW w/6.4L Hemi, Ramboxes, Active Air Rear Suspension
    2017 Aluma 8214HS
    2015 Lund Crossover 1775 XS

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Guys, This discussion not only benefits my decision but will be educational for others contemplating getting their first 5th wheel.
    This weekend we were out camping and stopped by a dealership to see if they had any or were anticipating getting any Solitude 3350RL's. Wanted to get a look at one and compare it to the Reflection 337's. Said they are getting one in about 2 weeks.

Anyway took the time to again look over the 337 they had in stock. Said the 337 is a very popular model. This sales guy said he recommends to all that purchase the 337 to use the B&W Companion and the MorRyde pin box. Since I have the Ram pucks he said that would be the way he would go and the MorRyde pin box would take all the chucking out of the hitch. Said yes that they could install the MorRyde box for me. He also said that if I decided to go with the B&W that matched my Ram pucks, there isn't any discount they could give on that particular hitch.

Looking back over this forum I noticed that some of you also use the MorRyde box. Looked it up and it would appear to be one of two units. The RPB72-1621 SHD-06 or the RPB72-1621 SHD TA06.

When I asked him about the AUH, He advised that some buyers opt for the AUH and also is very good if you are close to your payload rating and anticipate removing the hitch often. We were only talking about long bed stuff since that is what I have.

While we were ridding around in the golf cart through their inventory lot to get to the GDRV units, we had to pass by all their Jayco 5th wheel stuff. I noticed that all the new Jayco 5th wheels they had setting there, all had a MorRyde pin box. Don't know if Jayco's come standard with the MorRyde box or not, just found it curious that all Jayco had them. By the way all the new Jayco's had Goodyear tires, I sneaked over and took a look. Now don't start launching hitches at me because I looked at a Jayco!

Back at the camp ground a new LandMark 5th wheel came in. Big danged thing! Looked it up on the internet and it was 43 feet and change. Had a huge GVWR and pin weight specs. He had a newer Ram 3500 but it was only a single wheel rear axle. I thought that was strange with the kind of weight ratings the unit appeared to have. He was using the AUH. Didn't get a chance to talk with him.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a Reese Goosebox. Has a airbag and 2 shock absorbers. No bucking, no chucking. Clean bed when unhooked. I considered the AUH, went with the goose box because of nothing left in the bed beside the removable gooseneck ball.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    2016 Ram 3500 CTD
    2018 Reflection 367BHS
    Reese Goosebox
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    ...Looking back over this forum I noticed that some of you also use the MorRyde box. Looked it up and it would appear to be one of two units. The RPB72-1621 SHD-06 or the RPB72-1621 SHD TA06.
    Found the fit chart when I was looking at MORryde pin box.
    MORryde Pin Box Fit Chart - Sized per GVWR of the 5er.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MORryde Pin Box Fit Chart for Lippert 1621.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	14210

Gene
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbkims View Post
    Found the fit chart when I was looking at MORryde pin box.
    MORryde Pin Box Fit Chart - Sized per GVWR of the 5er.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MORryde Pin Box Fit Chart for Lippert 1621.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	14210

Gene
    Yeah I just used the heaviest one but the -05 one would most fit either the 337RL or the 3350RLS. I don't get the MORryde pin box rating of 23 & 24K if the -05 is based on 14K-18K GVWR. Why have two ratings?
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    Yeah I just used the heaviest one but the -05 one would most fit either the 337RL or the 3350RLS. I don't get the MORryde pin box rating of 23 & 24K if the -05 is based on 14K-18K GVWR. Why have two ratings?
    I'm thinking the 1621 and 1621HD are physically different somehow.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chap442 View Post
    Thanks for this thread we too are planning on a 337 but have not decided on a tow vehicle yet. I think at the end of the day it may come down to the F350 or the RAM 3500 - GM seems to be the highest price.
    We just upgraded to a GMC 3500 CC, Dually, and I went with the 25K B&W Hitch that fits our factory puck system. I can pretty easily put the hitch into the truck when I put the hitch head in separate from the base. Each weighs about 80 pounds. I looked at the Curt hitch too, and it seemed like the latch mechanism is more forgiving with the B&W hitch. Some of the camp sites we frequent are not level and the idea of not having to deal with the jaws being bound because there is a little tension on them is what was most appealing to me.
    I bought the hitch from etrailer and had an excellent buying experience from them. The hitch base is pretty easy to assemble. You will want a torque wrench capable of torquing the arm bolts to 110 ft-pounds. Hope this helps.
    Bret King
    2021 GMC 3500 Denali HD 4x4 crew cab, DRW, 6.6L Duramax/10 speed Allison
    2020 Solitude 310-GK (#19), Platinum paint scheme, B&W Companion 25K hitch
    Maine

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a F-350 with the B&W Companion slider with a MorRyde Pin Box. So far really like the combination. The companion is built like a tank and according to the dealer (he wouldn't lie to me?) it's what all the long haulers use. Not cheap but if you look at the cost of the truck, Peanuts!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had forgotten about this thread I participated in way back when. I was deciding which 5th wheel hitch to get when I stumbled upon a guy selling on Craigslist his B&W Companion he used in his Ram. He had an older 5th wheel and was upgrading his hitch to an air ride something or other. Turns out it was a little over a year old and fit my Ram LB pucks perfectly. I ended up buying it for $600, a big savings over new. Then we ended up buying the Solitude 3350RL. The Companion works perfectly and we like it. Even though its heavy we have plenty of payload for the truck. The hitch has not been out of the truck bed in over two years now.
    We did get a little chucking towing so again i turned to the internet and low and behold a guy on Craigslist was selling his MORryde pin box off his Jayco, the exact one I needed, the 18K for the 1621HD. He had bought a new Ram with the bed tool boxes and the MORryde box hit the Ram boxes. His Jayco was in a semi permanent park so he had only used it a couple of times, was still in perfect shape so I bought it for $400, another big savings over new. Bolted it up to our Solitude and it works perfect and really helped the towing. We are totally satisfied.

5th wheel hitches are expensive, really too expensive to be buying and swapping multiple times, but you have to get the one that best fits your needs, whatever they may be.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123