User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

315RLTS Owners--Did you replace your Westlakes?

I know this topic has been beaten to death, but there are so many threads on the subject it's hard to find specific information related to the 315RLTS. I have shiney new Westlakes on my TT, but the previously mentioned tire threads leave that nugget of doubt in the back of my mind. With that in mind:

1) Have any of you 315RLTS owners with the 16" wheel/tire combination experienced unexplained tire failures? (The failure most disturbing is when the tread separates from the core leaving the latter still inflated.)

2) Have any of you replaced your Westlakes prior to wearing them out? What did you purchase?

TIA!
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Howard - Obviously you can restrict your information request any way you want, but you might get a broader response to your question if you asked about GDRV owner experience with "16" ST225/whatever?" Westlake tires on a 10,000 lb GDRV product. (BTW . . . I thought the 315RLTX came with 15" tires?) Restricting your question to only 315RLTS owners begins to sound like a certain social media giant where they feel they need to divide GDRV owners 45 different ways. There is a lot to be learned from forum members with similar, but not exactly the same, trailers. Just a thought . . .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Restricting your question to only 315RLTS owners begins to sound like a certain social media giant where they feel they need to divide GDRV owners 45 different ways...
    Not my intention at all, Rob. The broader audience's experience is well documented in multiple threads and figured one of the last things we needed was another broadly defined tire thread. (Mimics oil threads on the GL1800Riders forum!)

I do want to limit the response in this thread to those with ST235/30R16 tires on a 315RLTS. Since I don't know the weight on each tire (yet) on my rig, I figured some of my fellow 315 owners might have some specific experience to share regarding their tires or the decision process they went through to change them (or not).

Regarding the tire size, I have in my notes (courtesy of Chiefblueman) that after Sep '17 the 315RLTS went from 15" to 16" tires.

A little OT, but you may note I am putting "315RLTS" in all of my thread titles. My intention is to make is specific (as requested by TucsonJim if I remember correctly) so those searching for 315RLTS-related posts can find them easily. If there's a better way to do this, I am certainly open to your suggestions.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    I do want to limit the response in this thread to those with ST235/30R16 tires on a 315RLTS.
    Howard - That is certainly a choice available to you on this forum.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have about 3000 miles on my 2018 and so far no issues (knock on wood) but I am thinking of replacing them after the 1 year warranty is up with Goodyear Endurance. The one thing I have noticed is the tire that is under the refer is always 3-5 degrees warmer than the rest(which increases the psi) and the driver side tires are higher temp than curb I think because of the weight stove, refer, etc.
    2015 F250 CC SB 4x4 6.7 PSD
    2018 315 RLTS

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by colo native View Post
    I have about 3000 miles on my 2018 and so far no issues (knock on wood) but I am thinking of replacing them after the 1 year warranty is up with Goodyear Endurance.
    You must have read my mind.

I was just trying to understand the difference between the G614 and the Endurance by reading Goodyear's website. I am not sure why some choose the Endurance and some the G614. The Westlake on my 315 is a 235/80R16. The G614 appears to come in 235/85R16 (so a slightly taller sidewall due to the larger aspect ratio) and has a max PSI of 110 PSI. The Endurance comes in a 235/80R16 and 80 PSI (which matches the Westlake). The weight capacity on the Endurance is 3420 lbs, the G614 3,750.

Given the 315's GVWR of 10K, the Endurance appears well suited to the trailer. Sound right?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    You must have read my mind.

I was just trying to understand the difference between the G614 and the Endurance by reading Goodyear's website. I am not sure why some choose the Endurance and some the G614. The Westlake on my 315 is a 235/80R16. The G614 appears to come in 235/85R16 (so a slightly taller sidewall due to the larger aspect ratio) and has a max PSI of 110 PSI. The Endurance comes in a 235/80R16 and 80 PSI (which matches the Westlake). The weight capacity on the Endurance is 3420 lbs, the G614 3,750.

Given the 315's GVWR of 10K, the Endurance appears well suited to the trailer. Sound right?
    I have it from GD that the rims are rated for 110 psi so that's not an issue.
    2015 F250 CC SB 4x4 6.7 PSD
    2018 315 RLTS

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by colo native View Post
    I have it from GD that the rims are rated for 110 psi so that's not an issue.
    That's good to know.

My assumption is the larger aspect ratio of the G614's will lessen the clearance between the tire and the frame (probably not really an issue since the extra sidewall height is relatively small). The other assumption is the G614 with the higher PSI will result in a harsher ride. (The higher weight rating with the higher PSI setting=a stiffer tire, thus a harsher ride.)

BL--if I was looking for replacements, with what I know right now, the Endurance is #1 on my list. It appears to be perfectly matched to my (our) trailer.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Replaced immediately with Carlisle radials, no problems on my last TT with them. Anything is better than a cheap tire.
    2019 Reflection 312BHTS TT Sold