Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retread68 View Post
    Keith,

I installed the Roadmaster Comfort Ride #2460 on my 337. Actually I purchased the slipper spring pkg also at the same time intending to install both at the same time. After having everything in my hands, even though I had been told the OEM spring hangers would work; it is not possible to install 2" wide slipper springs in the 1 3/4" hangers on my unit. Maybe someone else can on their unit, but not on mine. I say this just for info if you happen to think about doing the same thing.

As time allows, my plan is to eventually cut off the OEM spring hangers and weld on 2" hangers so the slipper springs can be installed. (It's a hobby!)

The shocks were not too complicated to install, but a couple long drill bits (buy 2 so ya can break 1) are required and OEM U-bolts were not long enough on my unit.

Rich
    Thanks Rich
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is an older thread, but the question is still relevant as many including me are still looking for the answer to a simple, straightforward question: Can Sailun S637 ST235/85R16 Load Range G “For Trailer Use Only” tires rated for 4400 pounds load at 110 psi be used reliably at a lower load at less pressure? The tire states: “Max Load Single 2000 kg (4400 lb) at 760 KPa (110 psi) COLD”. What about any application below max?

For my Jayco Eagle fifth wheel, my typical travel weight is 12,100, which puts about 2500 pounds load on each wheel & tire. I verified with the manufacturer of my wheels they are rated for 90 psi maximum.

When you go to the Sailun website www.sailuntire.com, the only option is for you to pick your region. There is no “Contact Us” link. Selecting the USA redirects you to www.gosailun.com, the US distributor. I contacted them and got a similar non-response as Dan and Judy did:

Mr. Waldroop,

We are in receipt of your inquiry. We are a wholesale tire distributor of multiple brands of tires, not a tire manufacturer, and we create dedicated websites for each of the brands of tires we distribute; we distribute the Sailun brand of tires in the USA. Most tire manufactures provide only the maximum psi a particular tire can hold and that is because the same tire can be installed in multiple applications, each application varying in weight; therefore, it is up to the manufacturer of the application to provide you with the recommended psi for the optimum performance of the tires. Having said that, it is our understanding most trailer manufacturers will recommend tires be inflated to the maximum psi when cold. If your rims are not equipped to handle the maximum psi, you may need to change the rims; lowering the psi may limit you as to the maximum load you will be able to carry. I am attaching a load inflation table we have put together for the Sailun brand of tires which is created by the Tire & Rim Association, so you can review the maximum load you can carry when lowering the psi. We still suggest you further discuss with the manufacturer of your application.

Thank you,
    Olga Fraga
    Consumer Relations
    TBC Wholesale
    4300 TBC Way
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410
    Tel. (800) 238-6469 - toll free
    Fax (800) 467-4638

I did that. Jayco said use the tires recommended on the placard: Load Range E. Not helpful, since I’ve had four tire failures with Load Range E tires, all involving steel belt failure. (I only operate at max pressure, my wheels are aligned, I cover them in storage…yada, yada.) So, I pointed out to Ms. Fraga that she gave reasonable advice, but it did not answer the question, and told her I had no way to contact Sailun directly. Her second response:

Mr. Waldroop,

I reached out to our Commercial Department for additional assistance with your inquiry and they are indicating the following:

“We cannot recommend usage of a tire that has greater load capacity, and air pressure max capacity then the wheel. If the wheel has maximum PSI of 90 PSI there is no benefit to the Sailun S637, and we cannot recommend this application (LRG) due to liability issues.

90 psi on the wheel would mean that the maximum tire for this would be the ST235/85R16 E/10, this would provide 3640 max load capacity at 80 psi. A great option for him would be the new Towmax Vanguard ST radial. “

Thank you,
    Olga Fraga
    Consumer Relations
    TBC Wholesale
    4300 TBC Way
    Fax (800) 467-4638

Meaning, somebody in the distributor’s commercial sales department didn’t want to answer the question, either. An answer isn’t to be had. Sailun only stands behind the tire if you operate at its maximum capacity. All others, you’re on our own.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pragmatic View Post
    This is an older thread, but the question is still relevant as many including me are still looking for the answer to a simple, straightforward question: Can Sailun S637 ST235/85R16 Load Range G “For Trailer Use Only” tires rated for 4400 pounds load at 110 psi be used reliably at a lower load at less pressure? The tire states: “Max Load Single 2000 kg (4400 lb) at 760 KPa (110 psi) COLD”. What about any application below max?

For my Jayco Eagle fifth wheel, my typical travel weight is 12,100, which puts about 2500 pounds load on each wheel & tire. I verified with the manufacturer of my wheels they are rated for 90 psi maximum.

When you go to the Sailun website www.sailuntire.com, the only option is for you to pick your region. There is no “Contact Us” link. Selecting the USA redirects you to www.gosailun.com, the US distributor. I contacted them and got a similar non-response as Dan and Judy did:

Mr. Waldroop,

We are in receipt of your inquiry. We are a wholesale tire distributor of multiple brands of tires, not a tire manufacturer, and we create dedicated websites for each of the brands of tires we distribute; we distribute the Sailun brand of tires in the USA. Most tire manufactures provide only the maximum psi a particular tire can hold and that is because the same tire can be installed in multiple applications, each application varying in weight; therefore, it is up to the manufacturer of the application to provide you with the recommended psi for the optimum performance of the tires. Having said that, it is our understanding most trailer manufacturers will recommend tires be inflated to the maximum psi when cold. If your rims are not equipped to handle the maximum psi, you may need to change the rims; lowering the psi may limit you as to the maximum load you will be able to carry. I am attaching a load inflation table we have put together for the Sailun brand of tires which is created by the Tire & Rim Association, so you can review the maximum load you can carry when lowering the psi. We still suggest you further discuss with the manufacturer of your application.

Thank you,
    Olga Fraga
    Consumer Relations
    TBC Wholesale
    4300 TBC Way
    Fax (800) 467-4638

I did that. Jayco said use the tires recommended on the placard: Load Range E. Not helpful, since I’ve had four tire failures with Load Range E tires, all involving steel belt failure. (I only operate at max pressure, my wheels are aligned, I cover them in storage…yada, yada.) So, I pointed out to Ms. Fraga that she gave reasonable advice, but it did not answer the question, and told her I had no way to contact Sailun directly. Her second response:

Mr. Waldroop,

I reached out to our Commercial Department for additional assistance with your inquiry and they are indicating the following:

“We cannot recommend usage of a tire that has greater load capacity, and air pressure max capacity then the wheel. If the wheel has maximum PSI of 90 PSI there is no benefit to the Sailun S637, and we cannot recommend this application (LRG) due to liability issues.

90 psi on the wheel would mean that the maximum tire for this would be the ST235/85R16 E/10, this would provide 3640 max load capacity at 80 psi. A great option for him would be the new Towmax Vanguard ST radial. “

Thank you,
    Olga Fraga
    Consumer Relations
    TBC Wholesale
    4300 TBC Way
    Fax (800) 467-4638

Meaning, somebody in the distributor’s commercial sales department didn’t want to answer the question, either. An answer isn’t to be had. Sailun only stands behind the tire if you operate at its maximum capacity. All others, you’re on our own.
    It sounds to me like this outfit is not going to endorse you installing 110psi rated tires on 90psi rated rims. They said by new rims or buy different tires...

The last guy they said yeah do that, either pumped them up to 110 and blew his rim off the trailer or took it in for service and the tech said ohhhh pump these up to 110.... or he sold the trailer and the issue was not conveyed to the purchaser and he got hurt... so now they trace it all back to some email where they said yeah you can put 110psi tires on a 90psi rim and they loose a lawsuit.

Had you asked the question a bit different....

I have rims that are rated for these tires however on days that I am not fully loaded is there a problem with me running them at 90psi vs 110psi...

The s637 tires appear to be a multi positional tire aka they can be on a steer axle...

The s637T’s on the other hand are dedicated to being a trailer tire and also have a slightly lower capacity at the same 110psi.

I am not trying to be difficult I am in the market myself. What I have been reading is that the pressure for the same tire should be inflated to a point that would support your load.

I just bought a Dually and the placard on the truck says inflate tires to 70Psi for the front. The same tires on the back are supposed to be inflated to 80Psi. On the 2020 at4 3500 SRW I just unloaded it was 60psi on front and 80Psi on the backs....

On my 20ft bumper pull equipment trailer the cold psi on those is 80 psi. I run them at 45. Anything more than that and empty it would be bouncing off the pavement like a low rider in a dr Dre video....

All this said. And with what I am reading... I have lots of new rims and tires to buy for my other two goosenecks that’s have 7000lb axels and I am running tires on them that quite frankly are not up to the task.. which might explain all the tread separations and blow outs I have... on those trailers when a tires explodes it does no damage to my trailer, however on this camper if something explodes well I suspect I will be spending a lot o money....

I would love to hear what you end up doing or if you find anymore data... my camper has rims on it that will support the 110psi so I think I am good for these tires... my quandary now is having 6inch rims vs 6.5inch rims. But another poster seems to have confirmed this is acceptable...

Sent from my thumbs..
    Okie

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @pragmatic,

Not sure if you saw this yet....

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...t=24658&page=2

In the response to you they provided a chart can you share it?

Okie

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am unfamiliar with other RV manufacturers but I do know that the rims that Grand Design use are from Lionshead. When I switched to the Sailuns, I contacted Lionshead about the wheels and if it was safe to use a 120 psi tire. The response was that the OEM Lionshead wheels are rated to 120 psi. It is a requirement to use a metal stem.

I run my Sailuns at 90 PSI based on an inflation table I was able to find. I've got over 13k miles on the tires now, having towed all over the western US and western Canada. I've had no issues whatsoever and I monitor the pressures with a TPMS system.

Bear in mind that my Reflection 28bh is relatively "light" at 10,995 lbs GVW. So these tires are well within their load capacity at 90 PSI.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is exactly my point. Thank you. @pragmatic appears to have a jayco rig, and his rims are rated for 90psi. So the answer to his question would be you can run less pressure based on your rigs weight. No retailer is going to tell you it is safe to run 110psi tires on 90 psi rims however. But a load chart from sailun would confirm it is safe to do so.

Again how much I did not know and still don’t know at 49 pulling trailers all my life, just goes to show how ignorant I am.

Here is some more good reading that I think would apply here. It confirms what @TheLexx is saying.

https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/tire...n-loading.aspx

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A front tire on my F250 had an unrepairable leak, and I ordered a pair of Sailun LT tires thru Walmart.com

$236 a pair sure beat $550 for the Michelins I put on the rear earlier this year. I'm going to eventually sell the truck anyway.

We'll see how the budget tires perform in the meantime.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    A front tire on my F250 had an unrepairable leak, and I ordered a pair of Sailun LT tires thru Walmart.com

$236 a pair sure beat $550 for the Michelins I put on the rear earlier this year. I'm going to eventually sell the truck anyway.

We'll see how the budget tires perform in the meantime.
    I am very curious how this works out for you. With all the good things said about the trailer tires, it would be great if they work good on a Tow vehicle as well.
    Okie

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I've posted this before, heck, maybe somewhere earlier in this thread but when I purchased my Sailuns I wrote an email directly to Sailun regarding this issue. Here's what I received.

Paul, thank you for your inquiry to Sailun Tire and for being a Sailun customer.

In regard to your question about inflation, I have attached the Tire and Rim Association load and inflation table for your size (reference line 10). Make sure your trailer is fully loaded when you calculate your weight. Based on the weight of 11,000 lbs. (11,000/4 = 2,750/tire) you stated below, the minimum pressure you should run is 50 psi. I normally recommend 5-10 psi higher than the calculated pressure for some safety. You will want to stay pretty close to this recommendation for ride comfort and to achieve good tire wear. Don’t worry, the tire is engineered for this pressure for the load. The reason the max is 110 psi is the tire is used in some commercial applications that require the additional load carrying capacity.

Please send along any additional questions.

Safe travels.

Al Eagleson ‘ACE’
    Segment Manager, Commercial Tires
    Off. (289) 499-3240 x202
    Cel. (416) 315-9391

I have mine set at 80 psi and have been probably 10,000 miles this way and they re still in like new condition.

If it were possible I would attach the inflation spreadsheet he sent me. If anyone wants a copy, just PM me your email and I will send it. It is an Excel spreadsheet.
    Last edited by Paul & Deb; 07-13-2020 at 09:39 AM.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post
    I've posted this before, heck, maybe somewhere earlier in this thread but when I purchased my Sailuns I wrote an email directly to Sailun regarding this issue. Here's what I received.

Paul, thank you for your inquiry to Sailun Tire and for being a Sailun customer.

In regard to your question about inflation, I have attached the Tire and Rim Association load and inflation table for your size (reference line 10). Make sure your trailer is fully loaded when you calculate your weight. Based on the weight of 11,000 lbs. (11,000/4 = 2,750/tire) you stated below, the minimum pressure you should run is 50 psi. I normally recommend 5-10 psi higher than the calculated pressure for some safety. You will want to stay pretty close to this recommendation for ride comfort and to achieve good tire wear. Don’t worry, the tire is engineered for this pressure for the load. The reason the max is 110 psi is the tire is used in some commercial applications that require the additional load carrying capacity.

Please send along any additional questions.

Safe travels.

Al Eagleson ‘ACE’
    Segment Manager, Commercial Tires
    Off. (289) 499-3240 x202
    Cel. (416) 315-9391

I have mine set at 80 psi and have been probably 10,000 miles this way and they re still in like new condition.

If it were possible I would attach the inflation spreadsheet he sent me. If anyone wants a copy, just PM me your email and I will send it. It is an Excel spreadsheet.
    If it is in Excel, just convert it to a PDF. Excel has that capability
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast