Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ad Valorem Tax

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mr. Lucky:

I'm sorry that you're burdened with taxation. It seems the older the societies and the farther north you go, the higher the taxes. At one point, it does break the back of the tax payer.

In Alabama, we have a 2% sales tax on RV's and automobiles/trucks. There is also a minimal county tax which varies county by county.
    There is an Alabama ad valorem tax on RV's based on value or selling price (new). On a new $40K RV in my county, the tax is $280 the first year.
    And there are no inspection stickers on RV's, cars or trucks.
    I've got a 3500 square feet house on 3.8 acres, and my property taxes would be about $600 yearly. Because my wife is disabled, my property taxes are zero.

While I'm not thrilled with the performance of our state legislature, they have got the message that people in the State of Alabama want less government. And for the first time in over 100 years, we've got both a Republican House of Representatives and a Republican governor.

And having a 16,000 acre deep water lake in my front yard and two Robert Trent Jones golf courses down the street makes for a high quality of life.

And when I'm ready to go camping, we head for our RV in the Blue Ridge Mountains in North Georgia. That's kind'a ridiculous because we have 5 state parks and numerous TVA campgrounds within an hour of our house.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve,
    I live in GA and I know exactly what ur are talking about. Does not do you any good now till you buy something new after Mar 1, 2013.
    Vehicles purchased on or after March 1, 2013 and titled in GA will be exempt from sales and use tax and the annual ad valorem tax. Instead, these vehicles will be subject to a new, one-time title ad valorem tax that is based on the value of the vehicle.
    http://onlinemvd.dor.ga.gov/Tap/welcome.aspx
    Sam

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve,
    Spoke too soon earlier thread. Below is from the State of GA Dept of Revenue. Explains what is exempt to the new HOUSE BILL 386 New Ad Valorem Title Tax ("TAVT").

•The TAVT applies to any motor vehicle purchased on or after March 1, 2013 for which a Georgia title is issued unless a specific exemption applies. If it is a motor vehicle for which no title is required then the TAVT does not apply. Likewise, if there is a vehicle that has a title but it is not a motor vehicle, then TAVT does not apply. For those vehicles not subject to TAVT, normal sales and use tax rules and annual ad valorem tax may still apply.
    •For example, the following are not subject to TAVT:
    •Pull-behind trailers
    •Pull-behind campers
    •Mopeds
    •Any vehicle for which a Georgia title has not been issued, such as
    •1. vehicles manufactured prior to 1963 (these vehicles are not eligible to receive a Georgia title)
    •2. 1963 -1985 model year vehicles that do not have a Georgia title (these vehicles may have a Georgia title but are not required to in all cases)
    Sam

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sam, when we bought the 2012 F350, we opted to let it fall under the new rule, so we do not pay Ad Valorem tax on it.

Steve

Vietvet66-67
    In Pennsylvania we pay sales tax on rv's, and inspection once a year. Tax is 6% and inspection is around $40.00 You can get annual license plate at about $14.00 or a permanent plate for I believe around $40.00. The sales tax is on almost everything we buy.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123