Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Waxing and avoiding the fade

Somehow I think this question has been played out in 100's of forums, but I am new and want to tap the experience of my fellow GD owners. Since our 337RLS is new, I am really hoping to get a jump on keeping it looking that way. We previously had a 2004 Cardinal that had experienced severe fading in all the decals. We bought it used, so don't know what the history of care was. At that time, I had read that it's un-avoidable and just expect to replace them and re-do the exterior about every 6-8 years.
    We live in Southern Az. Since we still have about 4 years before retirement, the rig sometimes has to sit for weeks, just baking! I am currently using Protect-All, planning to recoat it 3-4 times a year. Any feedback on this plan, or advise on proven methods to keep it looking nice and avoid the fade?
    Chuck and Kara
    Southern Arizona
    2014 GD Reflection 337RLS #353
    2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD- Duramax/Allison

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wash Wax All. Actually we have a thread on this forum about that product. I believe it is in the Solitude section.
    Steve and Schlonda- Virgie, Kentucky
    2017 Momentum 328M
    Morryde 8K Independent Suspension, Disk Brakes
    2021 GMC Denali 3500 SRW
    Airlift Wireless Air
    B&W Companion Slider

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's those discussions:
    http://www.mygrandrv.com/for...highlight=wash
    and
    http://www.mygrandrv.com/for...highlight=wash

Lots of good info in both discussions and worth re-posting and re-reading
    Renee & Bill -- Central Louisiana
    2014 Solitude 305RE #404
    2007 F250

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WashWaxAll has our vote too, also read it here in the Solitude section. We bought the kit and glad we did. The extendable mop applicator is of good quality and it comes with extra applicator pads.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just bought a cover from camping world And use wheel covers. I want to keep it looking good. I also just started to do a wax job using marine wax. Boy it's a lot of work sore arms and shoulders. I also park it in a pole building in the winter months. I know you in the south have intense sun that's really hard on the decals and fiberglass.
    Paul & Debbie
    2015 303RLS. #679 16” tires 2” lift
    2018 F350 SRW CCSB 4x4 6.7 Diesel 3.55 B&W Std Hitch

Sold 5/18. 2005 GMC 2500 HD Crew Cab short bed Duramax,

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From everything I've read about exterior care, Meguiars Marine/RV wax is the way to go. We tried it on the front cap of our 303 prior to vacation, if for nothing else, the ease of removing all the bugs. Also, I understand some of the waxes on the market have petroleum products in them. This will eventually destroy the graphics over time, causing them to blister. I also purchased a DA polisher for application. Made the job much easier. I was about to purchase a RV cover when I read an article about how much heat this traps inside the RV, and how it bakes the interior, so I decided against it. You also have to remember that during a storm the wind can be tremendous and will blow around the cover, possibly causing scuff marks on the RV exterior finish. On another note, my previous 5er was 10 yrs old and the awning was shredding on top where it was rolled up and exposed to the elements. I did some research online for some type of protection for our new RV awning. There is a vinyl cover you can purchase for around 100.00 that covers the awning when retracted. That seemed a little expensive, so I instead purchased 2 10' lengths of 5" wide vinyl house gutters for 10 bucks and installed with zip ties. Works great when the RV is sitting at home, and can be easily removed when we head out for the weekend.

3daawgg
    Turtle wax ICE. Easy on easy off and works great.