User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BBJonbo
    I have been to a number of tire shops locally and all recommend against LTs for trailers. Odd since they are 2.5x the price. You think they would like to sell me STs.

Then I thought why not look at what STs are available for 15" and I too came across the Maxxis M8008 tires and thought these might be good. Only to find the following thread that states they are being discontinued.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...d/27630419.cfm

I think I will have to negotiate a reduction in price on the RV rather than the dealer replacing the tires as I doubt I can make a final decision today.

Worried about clearance on 16" rims and larger tires and not overly successful in finding tires for the stock 15" rims.

More confused than ever. Not sure what I will do ...

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    luckyd - Our unit is #314 manufactured Nov 2013. In Oct, I communicated with Micah Staley about being able to put 16" tires on the 303 and he said their supplier was making the change so all future units should have sufficient clearance. We looked at a very early 303 on a lot that didn't even have 3" clearance with the 15" tires. I sure wouldn't want less than what we have. We will be watching on our next trip to see if we get any "scuffing" on the undercarriage. Ask me after the 4th (or at the rally).

Kay & Dave - Virginia Beach, VA
    Golden Retriever Molly - Been swimming in 28 states
    2019 Solitude 310GK
    2019 GMC Denali CC/LB SRW
    Previous rig: 2014 Reflection 303RLS #314 and 2008 Silverado 2500 D/A

BBJonbo
    FYI

I called GD customer service and they stated that you could go as large as 235/80R16s on the 303RLS. I believe the diameter size would be 30.8" which may be a bit of a concern. I might get that in writing from GD via sending them an email inquiry.

Based on 2hams RV and comments about clearance that diameter seems rather large and concerned a bit about clearance. I stated 3 times it was for a 2015 303RLS and the CSR repeated 3 times that I could go as large as 235/80R16s.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got in from measurement, just as 2hams stated, I currently have 3 inches above tire. When I install just the 225/75 tires that will reduce to just 2.5 inches. That is close enough. Looks like LT225/75R 16's are in my future, now to decide between Bridgestone Durvias or Firestone TransForce HT's. I know the structural difference between the tires, but the Firestones get great reviews on other forums on 5th wheels. Big difference in price, I tow about 5K miles a year, have to decide. As for what the CSR at GD said, you would only have a 1.1 inch clearance, and those tires only come in ST, not LT size, hence we are right back to where we started, trying to get away from ST tires and especially those made in China. This 235/80 tire converts to almost identical size as the 245/75 I have been looking at. Again, not enough topside clearance. Good luck on your choice, I am going with 225/75, just have to choose between those two brands.
    Don & Judy
    Charlotte - SPCA Special

2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 F350 Dually CC LB 6.7L

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tire problems are enough to make an owner put a 4 tire monitoring system in the tow truck. It may not avoid a tire blowout, but it might alert you where you could stop the trailer 10 seconds or more sooner and minimize any damage.

BBJonbo
    Definitely going to look into a TPMS. Went down to dealer and measured a 2015 293RES and it had 3.5" clearance.

My wife and I placed our order on a new 2015 303RLS today and as part of the deal they will be replacing the stock Westlake tires with Good Year Wrangler HT LT255/75R16 and new 16" aluminum RIMs plus many other goodies thrown in at the already discounted sale price. Unfortunately. Bridgestone Duravis R250s and Michelin XPS Ribs backordered from every distributor here in Canada and have been for some time. So I was talked into the GYW HTs which seem to have a decent enough reputation and definitely have to be a whole lot better than the Westlakes. All the other tire dealers were trying to steer me to any of the multitude of chineese ST tires which I don't want. Surprised that a number of tire dealers refused to sell me LTs for a trailer even though I pointed to the manufacturers website on some models that are fully supported on trailers and RVs. I went on-line and showed 2 proprietors at separate tire shops the Michelin website and that the XPS Ribs are fully approved for RVs. Who knew it would be so hard to find better tires for the 303RLS. Whished GD had designed the 303RLS to handle even larger 16" tires so that I had a multitude of options. Concerning that I have so few options up here in Canada.

Great news for us, the GD 303RLS has only 2 options being free standing table/chairs and dual pane windows which this dealer always orders with both those options. They already had one on order and to our surprise it came off the production line as of today. If all goes well with final PDI it should be sent to transport and up here in Canada around June 21st. We thought we might have to wait several weeks and we are elated we should have our unit with all the new options installed before months end.

All in all a great day.

Will post back as to the clearance we have on our new unit once they swap out the tires.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had Good Year Wrangler HT on my previous trailer. It is a good tire as far as I am concerned. Never had any trouble for the first 6 years. Then a blowout, but my own fault and also it was time to change them out (age related not tread wear). Don't think you will be disappointed with them. Enjoy your new trailer, and congratulations.
    Don & Judy
    Charlotte - SPCA Special

2014 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reason i bought my 303 was the 11 ft. 11 inch height. I cant get it in my storage if i go any higher. So i assume the 16inch tires would raise the overall height. What to do.
    2014 Reflection 303//2013 Ram 2500 turbo diesel Spring, TEXAS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Westlake tires are 28.8 in dia. If going to 16 in, 225/75 are 29.3 or 29.4, so there is your difference. Can you spare an extra 6/10 of an inch or so??
    Don & Judy
    Charlotte - SPCA Special

2014 Reflection 303RLS

BBJonbo
    luckeyd1, thanks for the info

I thought the Westlakes were 28.3 and what I ordered 29.4 but knowing they are 28.8 means no concerns with clearance. There was 3.1" clearance on a 293RES that I measured and I thought that
    would put me at 2" which is around the minimum clearance that I would be comfortable with. That extra 1/2" means I might be able to go to 235/80R16s then. The only issue with that tire size is I could only find GY Marathon, Galaxy Road Rider, Towmax STR and Maxmiler tires none of which I was overly interested in. Maybe I will try and hunt down more options in that size tire and reconsider my choice.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast