User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What has been your overall experience with the disc brakes? If we were full-timing is seems a necessity. We we finish booting out the last birds from the nest planning on "Mac daddy" full-time and will order with the independant suspension with upgraded axles and disc brakes
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    2007 Dodge Ram Crew cab long bed cummins diesel dually 6spd Manual "Clifford the Big Red Truck"
    B & W companion hitch

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh and an Automatic tranny to save my arms
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    2007 Dodge Ram Crew cab long bed cummins diesel dually 6spd Manual "Clifford the Big Red Truck"
    B & W companion hitch

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mosquitomagnet View Post
    What has been your overall experience with the disc brakes? If we were full-timing is seems a necessity. We we finish booting out the last birds from the nest planning on "Mac daddy" full-time and will order with the independant suspension with upgraded axles and disc brakes
    There is literally no comparison that can be made between drums and discs. Stopping is clearly better - some say 50%, some say 10%, I say 30-40%. Disc brakes are far cleaner, meaning lower maintenance and chance for failure (if you're wondering what I mean by this, just pull the drum off of a wheel that has a few miles on it). No brake fade on hills.

For me, the bottom line is that no matter how you slice it, disc brakes are more efficient and stop you in a shorter distance than drums, meaning less chance for damage and injury. Can't speak about the independent suspension although all who have done it seem to love it. Just a little too rich for my blood. I have a 20k MGVW coach with three 7K axles and I would prefer heavier ones but on the other side of that coin, I've never had axle problems with any coach I've owned. I think following weight limits, balancing the coach and proper tire inflation go a long way towards insuring proper axle performance.

Nothing wrong with a stick, but at my age I say "why bother?".

Safe travels.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks very much for your input....More importantly Thank you for your service to our great country
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    B & W companion hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a full timer but last trip out we were on a 4-lane northwest of Charlotte, NC running 50 in a 55 with very little traffic when a small car passed on the left then cut in front of us and slammed on his brakes to make a right turn. The disc brakes on our 337 let us avoid his stupidity with feet to spare, with the old drums we would have hit him for sure. As far as I'm concerned the disc brake upgrade is worth every penny spent.
    Steve and Peggy
    Based in beautiful East Tennessee
    2016 Reflection 337RLS
    2017 Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4 CTD

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveTN View Post
    Not a full timer but last trip out we were on a 4-lane northwest of Charlotte, NC running 50 in a 55 with very little traffic when a small car passed on the left then cut in front of us and slammed on his brakes to make a right turn. The disc brakes on our 337 let us avoid his stupidity with feet to spare, with the old drums we would have hit him for sure. As far as I'm concerned the disc brake upgrade is worth every penny spent.
    Amen. I had a similar experience. I don't know how much better disk brakes are, but it was enough that time and I know drums would have gotten us to the scene of the crash.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just installed a dash cam. I want to be able to provide proof to the police that the idiot pulled in front of me. Disk breaks have to wait till next year but they will be done. I have had them installed on a prior 5er and they are well worth the price.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A dash cam is on our short list for the same reasons.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Steve and Peggy
    Based in beautiful East Tennessee
    2016 Reflection 337RLS
    2017 Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4 CTD

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve got the actuator and the brake lines installed - running the lines is clearly the toughest job. Pictures to follow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow thanks for all the replys....Living in SC and often going through Charlotte I am aware of the idiot drivers in the area...I have narrowly missed several accidents in my personal car much less than 18k. Biggest question now is where do I find the right kit...seems with my 5,200lb axles and bolt pattern very few choices are available. I guess it's off to MorRyde for the axle and brake upgrade. Now how to "brake" it to my wife
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    B & W companion hitch

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast