User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DIY Disc Brake Upgrade Info - Solitude/Momentum

I just placed the order for all of the parts needed to upgrade my 374TH-R to disc brakes. This is the second disc upgrade I've done, the first one being a kit for two axles from Performance Trailer Braking. I learned a great deal on that upgrade, to the point where I don't need a kit - I know what I need. The whole deal is costing me $2,506 for all three axles, shipping/taxes included. I have all the tools I need, except I bundled in a new flaring tool (my other one was junk) and a chamfering tool. I am using upgraded parts (SS fittings, SS clamps, copper nickel line, no cheap plastic line brackets) and custom making all lines (pre-cut ones rarely work out because no two routes are the same). I'm mounting the actuator between my batteries and generator, thus foregoing an expensive mounting bracket. In doing the research on this, I also shopped around for the best mix of price/convenience when looking for suppliers. Some of the prices include tax & shipping and others I listed these separately.

The point of this post is simple - I am not looking to become your disc brake supplier. I'm merely sharing my experience and research by providing a list of required parts, suppliers and prices for those of you who choose to DIY without a kit. Of course, you can swap out the Kodiak's or the Hydrastar (or anything else) for a different brand but these are pretty much the parts you'll need. If you have the skills and the tools, it's probably a week long job in the driveway, but then again I'm retired - hey, I might take two or three weeks. If I really had to, I can knock it off in three days. As I do this job, I'll be posting progress and photos on the forum. I'll be starting after all the parts arrive.

It's all pretty straight forward but as always, if you have questions or I can help in any way, let me know. Sorry it's a PDF - for some reason I could not get this to save as a JPG.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	376TH Master SS.pdf 
Views:	139 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	14125

By the way, thanks to Big Mike, I learned that MorRyde will in fact swap your existing disc brakes onto their suspension if you decide to upgrade later on, so your disc brake upgrade cost won't be wasted.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ever considered installing two actuators and connecting them to different axles for redundancy?
    2018 Momentum 328M

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trueweb View Post
    Ever considered installing two actuators and connecting them to different axles for redundancy?
    Nope. Don't know if it can be done and don't think it's necessary. Not a bad idea though.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very much look forward to your updates. Thsnks!
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the detailed info and parts list! I'm a DIY guys well and I look forward to seeing your progress!
    2024 Solitude 376RD...was: 2018 Momentum 349M
    2020 RAM 3500 Cummins HO/4:10/DRW...was: 2016 GMC Denali HD Duramax/Allison
    B&W Companion 25K...was: Reese Goosebox 20K...was: B&W Companion Slider 20K

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For Morryde to swap brakes do they need to be the same size? For example if I put 7k discs on am I limited to the 7k IS system or can it be put on an 8k? I'm thinking the size needs to remain the same for the swap. Didn't know if you had any insight?

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cribley View Post
    For Morryde to swap brakes do they need to be the same size? For example if I put 7k discs on am I limited to the 7k IS system or can it be put on an 8k? I'm thinking the size needs to remain the same for the swap. Didn't know if you had any insight?
    Don't know - you'd have to ask them.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good stuff Dick. Do you know if the wheel bearings are the same part number as the OEM bearings. I replaced all my oem bearings with Timken. I'd sure like to swap those over if I upgrade the brakes.

Jim

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the rule is that you don’t put used bearings into new races or vice versa. That said, if your bearings are low mileage, you’re probably ok.

When I did discs on my Bighorn, I used the bearings that came with them - just the generic Chinese ones (seals too). No problems.

On these discs, I’m going with the generics also. I’ve got to be honest, I’m well over the “China junk” syndrome. I think Chinese quality has improved in most areas. Then, I also think there is quality American made as well as American junk.

If you buy a kit (discs, calipers, pads, bolts, seals, bearings), you’re getting generic bearings. If you want Timkens, you will have to piece them together or buy the kit and eat the extra cost for Timken. Here’s my advice: if you go with Timken, try to determine where they are made. They have plants in China too ... could be the same place where the generics are made ;-).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good advice Dick. You're right, it would be tough to remove the races without damaging them. The Timkens I just purchased are all stamped made in the USA.

Jim

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast