User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Timon0x31

Dodge 3500 or an RVHauler?

My original idea if we pull the trigger was to get a Dodge Ram 3500 Disel DRW Mega Cab for the tow vehicle. We'd also get a Gem or SmartCar for local transportation. Looked like a good combination although we're still not completely pleased with the current floor plans. My wife likes the Fuzion 404 better especially the Bistro table.

However in the last week or so I been looking at a HDT such as the ones out of RVHauler.ca. I like the much stronger and more reliable and safer truck which it's self can have a lot of storage and haul either a SmartCar, Gem or several other vehicles. This would also allow the use of a standard 5th wheel instead of a TH although a TH would be easier to customize the rear plus you have the patio.

The HDT would cost about the same as the Dodge although adding the deck for the SmartCar would add some cost.

Got plenty of time to figure this out although any comments are welcome.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry, but going to a heavy duty truck for hauling a recreational vehicle just doesn't seem to be a good option.

(1) Users of such units need to be full timers.
    (2) Full timers are most often older, and old people can fall out of a heavy duty truck and get hurt.
    (3) Despite air ride cabs and air seats, heavy duty trucks are still tough to handle, they're uncomfortable to ride in and they're loud.
    (4) RV'ers may run into legal problems unless they have the Class A Commercial Drivers License required in some states on such vehicles.
    (5) Heavy duty trucks are very expensive to run and insure.

I've ridden in medium duty trucks (Ford and Freightliner) with crew cabs and custom beds for fifth wheel trailers. They were 10 mpg vehicles, but very comfortable riding and very nice. And they can handle any fiver that a full timer would ever need--including horse trailers. And they can be driven easily down to the Cracker Barrel restaurant for dinner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if this will help you with your decision. But I have been pulling a 5th wheel trailer (weighing over 15,000 LBS) with my 2010 Dodge RAM 3500 Diesel. The Ram is rock steady on the road hauling the trailer. Never had a problem going up the steep hills in West Virginia or going down with the built-in jake brake. The truck performs flawlessly and stops really well with the jake-brake. In fact, my RAM even stopped the trailer fairly quick when the trailer brakes failed. And the new Ram 3500 are way more powerful than my 2010. I can't speak for the HDT but you can't go wrong with the RAM 3500.
    Aaron & Donna
    2014 Solitude 369RLS #1067
    2010 Dodge RAM 3500 SLT Mega-Cab 4x4 SRW 6.7L Cummins Diesel
    AMP Power Step Running Boards, Bed Step, & Bed Step2; Garmin RV760 GPS & EEZRV TPMS; Truck Covers USA Roll Cover
    Firestone Rear Air Suspension System, on-board compressor with 5 Gallon tank and Air port; Hijacker 16K Ultra Slider 5th Wheel Hitch, Dee Zee Truck Tailgate Assist; DU-HA Humpstor Truck Bed Storage Box; Voyager Rear Back Up Camera System
    YAKUPSŪ Vertical Kayak Rack and Custom Lippert 2" Receiver; Sailun S637ST tires; WeBoost Cell Phone Booster.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ACDW-Ottawa View Post
    I don't know if this will help you with your decision. But I have been pulling a 5th wheel trailer (weighing over 15,000 LBS) with my 2010 Dodge RAM 3500 Diesel. The Ram is rock steady on the road hauling the trailer. Never had a problem going up the steep hills in West Virginia or going down with the built-in jake brake. The truck performs flawlessly and stops really well with the jake-brake. In fact, my RAM even stopped the trailer fairly quick when the trailer brakes failed. And the new Ram 3500 are way more powerful than my 2010. I can't speak for the HDT but you can't go wrong with the RAM 3500.
    I agree totally, I've been pulling with Dodge Cummins DRW's for 14 years and you can't go wrong with them.
    Mark & Midge
    Callie our grandaughter
    Cooper our Golden
    303rls #235
    2004 Dodge Cummins Dually
    Lawrence, KS
    Mark-Retired
    Midge-HSUS State Director