User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saw this in the EasyStart Install Manual: Jumper Usage
    Relearn: if a compressor, start capacitor, or run capacitor is replaced, place a jumper on pins 4 and 6 as shown. Cycle power on then off again and replace the jumper in the “Normal” position. Follow step 13 of the retrofit instructions to complete the relearn process.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...-165988-3.html
    Because some customers have no access to utility power in some cases, we've done testing with doing all 5 learning starts on generator, and it does still work just as well most of the time. The only time it does not is if the very first start - which is only about a 40-50% reduction in start current, causes a big distortion in the voltage fed by the generator or inverter (or any limited power source). This very first start measures a couple critical parameters that get used for the life of the learning data, so it is possible to "corrupt" the entire learning process if troubles occur on the first start. The good news is if any learning start completely fails, its data does not get recorded and that same starting trial, be it #1 thru #5, will be repeated on the next starting attempt. Also, if things really go awry, you can also force the EasyStart to reinitiate the learning process by temporarily moving the jumper on the inside.

So the above is why we recommend the first 5 starts be done on utility power. In actuality, you could probably attain equal success with doing only the very first start on utility since that is the most critical. Starts #2-#5 are already attaining over 60% start current reduction on their way to topping out around 70% or more, so doing starts #2-#5 on generator will likely not be problematic. Doing all 5 starts on generator will work most of the time, but does carry some risk.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regarding SouthTX comment:
    FWIW, they did say that a Honda 2000 would run a 15K AC.
    When I installed my Easy Start units, I also purchased a Honda EU3000i Handi generator. I had previously purchased a Honda EU2000i generator with no intention of ever running the AC units with it. Before I sold the EU2000i, I tried it with the Easy Start units in place with somewhat limited success. I'm not sure why MicroAir makes the claim for the EU2000i. My 13.5k AC runs (after starting) at about 14 amps and the 15k AC runs at about 15 amps (after start). The EU2000i is only rated at 13 amps (and change) continuous, so the numbers just don't add up. Even the EU2200i, which I considered, would be very marginal for running a 13.5k AC unit after startup with the Soft Start. Furthermore, if you can't even run the battery charger from the generator with the AC on, you still have a power problem. That was the reason for my selection of the EU3000i Handi, with a continuous output of 21.7 amps, and still manageable to move at 80 lbs.

Do take my above comments as anything negative about the Easy Start units. They are terrific and do exactly what MicroAir claims, but they do not generate power that your generator cannot produce. Dometic suggests a 3500 watt generator to run either of my AC units (1 at a time). Given that I can run either AC plus the refrigerator or battery charger from the Honda EU3000i Handi (2600 watt continuous rating) is remarkable in my book.

One further note to other members considering a generator to run the AC, don't focus on the maximum rating of the generator. For a Honda generator, the model number of the generator represents the maximum power in watts for up to 30 minutes. You need to dig a bit deeper into the specs to get to the rated (continuous) power after 30 minutes. Given that you probably can't cool your RV down in 30 minutes, the maximum rating doesn't help much. I assume the same concepts apply to other generator manufactures as well, but I never looked into them.

For anyone interested in more details of my findings, go to the link in my signature and look for the pages on the Hondi EU3000i Handi generator and the MicroAir Easy Start unit.

Thank you gbkims for your answers to the relearn question. Post #42 on the Airstream forum is consistent with my comments above, but better worded.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

(NEW) Micro Air Easy Start Install Video (microair easystart)

Honda under-rates their generators.

My 15,000 BTU Roof Air ran on my Honda EU2200i for a week straight while we were in South Texas 3 months ago having our solar installed, and it was about 95 degrees with high humidity all week.
    No Easy start installed.

Funny thing is we haven’t used it since, because we’ve been hanging out either in the mountains or on the coast where it doesn’t get hot enough to need AC.

I actually bought the Easystart probably 6 months ago but haven’t installed it yet.
    Will hopefully get it done soon and I will be doing my 5 learn starts using this Honda.

[emoji38]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by klenger View Post
    Regarding SouthTX comment:

When I installed my Easy Start units, I also purchased a Honda EU3000i Handi generator. I had previously purchased a Honda EU2000i generator with no intention of ever running the AC units with it. Before I sold the EU2000i, I tried it with the Easy Start units in place with somewhat limited success. I'm not sure why MicroAir makes the claim for the EU2000i. My 13.5k AC runs (after starting) at about 14 amps and the 15k AC runs at about 15 amps (after start). The EU2000i is only rated at 13 amps (and change) continuous, so the numbers just don't add up. Even the EU2200i, which I considered, would be very marginal for running a 13.5k AC unit after startup with the Soft Start. Furthermore, if you can't even run the battery charger from the generator with the AC on, you still have a power problem. That was the reason for my selection of the EU3000i Handi, with a continuous output of 21.7 amps, and still manageable to move at 80 lbs.

Do take my above comments as anything negative about the Easy Start units. They are terrific and do exactly what MicroAir claims, but they do not generate power that your generator cannot produce. Dometic suggests a 3500 watt generator to run either of my AC units (1 at a time). Given that I can run either AC plus the refrigerator or battery charger from the Honda EU3000i Handi (2600 watt continuous rating) is remarkable in my book.

One further note to other members considering a generator to run the AC, don't focus on the maximum rating of the generator. For a Honda generator, the model number of the generator represents the maximum power in watts for up to 30 minutes. You need to dig a bit deeper into the specs to get to the rated (continuous) power after 30 minutes. Given that you probably can't cool your RV down in 30 minutes, the maximum rating doesn't help much. I assume the same concepts apply to other generator manufactures as well, but I never looked into them.

For anyone interested in more details of my findings, go to the link in my signature and look for the pages on the Hondi EU3000i Handi generator and the MicroAir Easy Start unit.

Thank you gbkims for your answers to the relearn question. Post #42 on the Airstream forum is consistent with my comments above, but better worded.
    I didn't test the ability of the Honda 2000 to run an AC, I was just repeating what Microaire told me. They said they had tested the Honda and it worked well with the Microaire. When I told them that I was trying to run a Champion 2000, they purchased one to test and reported that the Honda sustained the inrush current just a fraction longer than the Champion did. I went back to using my Champion 3000w gen.

I can't tell you why you were unsuccessful with the Honda 2000. I found Microaire to be very professional and through in their testing and support. Given the number of reports on this forum of people not being able to run something with their 10KW gen, there must be a little bit of magic involved.

I'm now using a Ryobi 2300 watt gen that will start either the 15k or 13.5k AC (nether with a Microaire) on my current RV. Actually, it will run both AC's very well as long as they don't start up at the same time (and I have the converter, etc turned off). For a quick cool down I fire up both AC units with the thermostats turned way down so they don't cycle.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^
    I didn't test the ability of the Honda 2000 to run an AC, I was just repeating what Microaire told me.
    Understood and agreed.

My test with the Honda EU2000i was not a complete bust, but the generator definitely struggled a lot to start the AC unit. Enough so that I would not want to repeat the process with my investments. While I am not an HVAC or mechanical person, there are other factors that apply to this equation, like temperature and altitude. We know that generator power declines as altitude is increased, and also, I believe that compressor load increases with temperature. My testing was done in Tucson AZ at around 2800 feet with temperature around 100 deg F. Those are not favorable conditions for this test, but are real world in my case. When putting together a "system", in this case a generator and air conditioner, or in the larger sense, my travel trailer and tow vehicle, I try to "design" or select system components that put me near the center of the performance specifications. That's why I have a tow vehicle that has a fair amount of additional capacity than needed for my "system". Same applies to the generator / AC.

I'll repeat here just so that there is no misunderstanding, that have no issues with MicroAir or the Easy Start or the claims that they make. They have a wonderful product and I happily purchased two of them. I do feel that we need to do our homework with the numbers and specifications so that we are not disappointed with the performance of our selected "system". Furthermore, I have no intention of contradicting the results of others who are participating in this discussion. If your "system" works for you, terrific.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great thread. Once again membership to the forum provides more value than membership cost. I do have a Champion 3500w gen however, on my 303 it will only start and run the bedroom unit. On three attempts to start the living room unit with no other AC or appliances running, the gen defaults when the AC compressor starts up. I believe the living room unit is a Dometic Brisk II but the bedroom unit is a different Dometic model.
    Last edited by GeoffnCheri; 08-10-2018 at 08:49 PM. Reason: typo
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffnCheri View Post
    Great thread. Once again membership to the forum provides more value than membership cost. I do have a Champion 3500w gen however, on my 303 it will only start and run the bedroom unit. On three attempts to start the living room unit with no other AC or appliances running, the gen defaults when the AC compressor starts up. I believe the living room unit is a Dometic Brisk II but the bedroom unit is a different Dometic model.

A 3500 watt gen should start either. Sometimes softstart capacitors (which is different from the Microair units) fail. They are about $10 or $15 and easy to swap out. If that doesn't allow your gen to start the LR AC unit, the Microair will.

One other comment on the Microair units - they offer one that is in a nice box and one that is exposed (that is about half price). The less expensive one is only slightly more complicated to install and should be well within the capabilities of anyone who can assemble/maintain an RV "kit."
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, we will take a look.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTX View Post
    I installed one while connected to a 20 amp circuit in my garage. Actually, that 20 amp circuit ran a 15k AC without the Microaire. Your household current can sustain the needed startup amperage much longer than a generator can.
    It is interesting that you share this. I had my trailer parked next to my house yesterday while doing some work on it and needed to check out the new thermostat cover that was just installed as part of some warranty repairs. I plugged in the trailer to a 20 Amp outlet from my house and I was actually surprised that not only did the AC unit start easily, but it ran and cooled the trailer down pretty well.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Easy start ordered. Thanks to all who contributed. Love the forum info sharing!!!!!!!!
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast