User Tag List

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Food Safety Study #2 - Refrigerator Temperature Experiment (Norcold)

Note: In order to keep the library uncluttered, please comment on this thread on the linked location. This thread will be closed upon posting.

https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...812#post179812

In July of 2015, I ran an experiment to see how fast an RV refrigerator would exceed safe food storage requirements when the Atwood refrigerator was powered off.
    Since that time, there have been many threads regarding safety on the road. Is it safer to run with the LP gas turned on, or is it safer to leave it off assuming that your refrigerator will maintain a safe temperature while on the road. In addition, there are other options to consider such as packing the refrigerator with "Blue-Ice".

Now that I have a new trailer with a Norcold refrigerator, I've ran a couple of experiments to see if the data has changed.

My conclusion is that traveling with the refrigerator off on a hot day will result in unsafe food temperatures in a very short period of time. In addition, packing the refrigerator with ice blocks (Blue Ice) will slow the temperature rise, but your food will still be subjected to unsafe temperatures in just a few hours.

Please read through the attached file, and comment on the link above.

Thanks,

Jim
    P.S. Click on the link below.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2018 RV Refrigerator Study.pdf 
Views:	329 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	14339

Please note: The data and pdf file are copyrighted. Please do not copy and repaste, or share this data. However, you may print it for your personal use. If you wish to discuss it elsewhere, you may provide a link to this forum.
    Last edited by TucsonJim; 08-04-2018 at 08:43 PM.